[WANTED] Cedrus Libani

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
newbonsaiboy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

[WANTED] Cedrus Libani

Post by newbonsaiboy »

Hi,

I have never owned a bonsai before but my father has had a few over the past 4-5 years and I enjoy seeing the progress over the years.

I have done a lot of searching and researching in the past week or so. Can anyone please help me find a Lebanese Cedar ready for bonsai? I have searched initially for one as a present for my father but now I have learnt just enough (through my endeavors to buy one) that I am interested in starting a bonsai of my own - I am a person who likes a challenge. My biggest challenge seems to be finding a tree! Can someone please direct me where to find one so I can start posting a few newbie annoying posts of my own as I start this new hobby.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Bougy Fan on September 9th, 2014, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku

Re: [WANTED] Cedrus Libani

Post by MoGanic »

Where about do you live mate? Be a lot easier to direct you haha

Also the wiki has a directory of nurseries!

Cheers,
Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
newbonsaiboy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by newbonsaiboy »

Fair response Mo lol

I'm in Sydney.

Tried calling a few nurseries but they didn't have any of these trees.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers

Post by kez »

Bonsai south has libani but they are grafts, still good trees though. Otherwise they have atlantica that are not grafted if you are interested
masekeane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: elms
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: none

Post by masekeane »

I have a few very advanced Lebanese cedars, give me a call anytime.

Mason

Bonsai at the Bay
newbonsaiboy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by newbonsaiboy »

Thanks for all the help. I had a look at the wiki directory on Tuesday. I called Padre Pio since I was headed that direction and i now have a great tree!! It was my first time at a Bonsai nursery, however it definitely won't be my last. The help and advice from Nick was great. They had a fully potted and trained tree however I decided to start my own. It's now planted in a non-glazed pot, next step start winding some wire and forming some shape... Can't wait to see what it can become :tu:
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

They are lovely Cedars. I've bought two cedars from Bunnings. One had no label ? :reading: The bonsai person thought it was a blue cedar, :lost: ($10) the other was a Himalayan cedar, that had no label but she wrote it on the label.(C.Deodora) Nice tree with drooping branches. $25

I suppose you could try your local Bunnings, but watch them, :shifty: they sometimes forget to water trees, and mis-label them. There are two Bonsai retailers in Windsor (Norwood) they supply Bunnings in Armidale. You shouldn't have too much trouble with acclimatising new trees, but I did in Armidale. (Especially ficus). Most of Norwoods are greenhouse grown.

Best of luck. :aussie:
Black Knight
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai Inc

Post by Black Knight »

Hi Newbonsaiboy,
Good luck and fun with your new tree. I believe you may have an Atlas Cedar, as Nick did not have any true Libani, anywhere in his Nursery when last there :?: Just as good, yet very difficult to tell the difference.
Cheers,
newbonsaiboy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by newbonsaiboy »

Hi Black Knight,

kind of disappointing if it's actually a different tree to that which i asked for... Assuming/hoping it's an honest mistake. However, if it is an Atlas how do you know? What can you see that determines the difference?

Cheers
Black Knight
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Black Knight »

Hi Newbonsai boy,
It is very difficult to tell, unless you see the cones, needles and bark. The easiest way is side by side, the Libani and or Turkish Cedars have brighter green needles and usually darker ridged bark. Do not worry too much, the greater majority of trees around will be the the imposter Atlas.
I still do not know why they are called Libani, they should have been named Libnani :?: :lost:
Regards,
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Or red cedar. We have heaps around UNE. Their cones are flower like when fully open. I honestly would not have thought Lebanese cedars would be hard to find. In Sydney with your large Lebanese population and it features on their national flag. :aussie: I've been by the way, the pearl of the Mediterranean before all the troubles of course.
Black Knight
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Black Knight »

Hi Bushbunny,
What has a Red Cedar got to do with a Cedrus Libani :?: :lost: The red is from a totally different family. :reading:
Regards,
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Well that is what we call them. You were talking about cones.
S-O-R-R-Y. :aussie:
Fluorine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalypts

Post by Fluorine »

Black Knight wrote:Hi Newbonsai boy,
It is very difficult to tell, unless you see the cones, needles and bark. The easiest way is side by side, the Libani and or Turkish Cedars have brighter green needles and usually darker ridged bark. Do not worry too much, the greater majority of trees around will be the the imposter Atlas.
I still do not know why they are called Libani, they should have been named Libnani :?: :lost:
Regards,
Liban, is the french word for Lebanon; hence the scientific name 'Cedrus libani'.

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”