What price should I sell my babies for?

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
DustyRusty
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by DustyRusty »

Hi,

I'm selling a bunch of my trees. A collector at work is interested in them. I've never sold a tree before and find judging their value very difficult. Most of mine I've developed. They still need work too. I'm wondering if any of you could give me a ballpark figure of what I should aim for on these trees. I don't need to get their full value or charge a high price, i think they should be reasonable considering it saves me a whole of hassle by selling to them to someone i know. But I also don't want to give away these trees for far too little. I'd love your rough guesses or ballpark ranges if you can help.

This one is a PJ Fig developing in the canopy style. Needs some wiring:
c fig.JPG
This is a Shohin Seiju Elm. Has some carving in the trunk to get rid of previous reverse taper. Developing in the broom style.
elm.JPG
This is a PJ Fig with a grotesque and interesting trunk. Developing in canopy style but needs more branches and thickening:
g fig.JPG
This is a PJ Fig that is developing in the sloping style. Very fat trunk, branches with good shape and thickness. Leaves need to be made smaller.
s fig.JPG
This is a White Barked Ficus Retusa. Too tally and leggy at the moment but am attempting to thicken branches. Great nebari, although one front root appears to have some sunburn.
fig ret.JPG
Any guesses on value would be much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BB Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Re: What price should I sell my babies for?

Post by BB Brian »

ill be happy to take that seiju elm off your hands :fc:
"Ambition without knowledge, is like boat on dry land" - Miyagi
IG: @bonsaibuzz #bonsaibuzz
Raymond B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Jacaranda
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Raymond B »

banong wrote:ill be happy to take that seiju elm off your hands :fc:
How much would you pay for it?
Thanks
Raymond
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by bonborn »

The best way is to set your prices that you'd sell for and see if people are interested. If not lower a bit and keep doing unless sold. Also list on gumtree or ebay as there is a wider audience.
DustyRusty
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by DustyRusty »

Thanks. Not after the highest price as such. I would like to sell them to the collector from work, but have no idea of their value. I'm moving state, hence my need to sell them.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Ask your collector to make you an offer if your happy with it sell. If not neg a better deal. Only you know what you want for them and what you woud be happy with. Bonsai like anything for sale its only worth what someone will pay for it!
Good luck
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

Mate, just had a look on eBay and gumtree,also a few other site. As the above have said basically what your happy with. For mine l would think starting around $200.00 ea won't be unreasonable :?: :?: :2c:
Cheers RodM ;)
Last edited by rodm on August 22nd, 2017, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

:lost: should also remember to consider the pot in your valuation--
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

What you see on gumtree is only the asking price. Some of them are quite unreasonably priced. This goes for eBay too, but if you change your search filter to "completed items" you will be able to see what has actually sold and for what price. Sold listings have a dollar value in green. Unsold, red. This way you can see what people on these mediums will pay for crap trees and also how much they'll pay for much better stock. Search "bonsai stock" and "bonsai -seeds -seed" and you'll filter out most of the unwanted listings for seeds.

A lot of what I see on gumtree and eBay are baby trees in a cheap bonsai pot with a token bit of wire and they're asking something ridiculous like $150 for it. This is a way to gauge how good your tree is in comparison but not necessarily a good way to price your own trees.
Last edited by Beano on August 22nd, 2017, 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

You could always compare your trees with major nurseries like bonsai south or ray nesci, note only trees then think about the value of your trees ;)

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”