[Sold] deceased estate: Japanese Black Pine

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pinus
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: bonsai society of vic

[Sold] deceased estate: Japanese Black Pine

Post by bonsaisensation »

hi all

below is a shohin Japanese black pine that started out in 1992. it used to belong to a friend who tragically passed away in a car accident one and a half years ago now. it now belongs to the girlfriend at the time. she has recently realised how much work they take to maintain and have sadly decided to sell it to someone who will care for it.

it measures just over 30cm and i counted 17 well developed branches and only one visible scar in the back where the low sacrifice branch was. the close family friend who brought it to my attention will now thin out the needles and tidy up the branch structures with light wiring.

we would like raise as much for the family as possible and we think $3000 is what it is worth. any one who is interested in the tree can come to the nursery (253 centre rd narre warren south) for a closer inspection next week onwards.
DSCN0355.JPG
DSCN0356.JPG
DSCN0358.JPG
DSCN0359.JPG
DSCN0360.JPG
DSCN0361.JPG
DSCN0363.JPG
DSCN0365.JPG
regards

Tien
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kcpoole on May 19th, 2015, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title - Sold
check out our new website:
http://bonsaisensation.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: deceased estate: Japanese Black Pine

Post by MoGanic »

Good on you for helping out mate, hopefully everything works out.

-Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Obviously open to any offer. Pm me if u like.
It is the best small size jbp I have seen in the country so far and I am interested to know what the general bonsai public value in such a tree.

Regards
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Yes, a good specimen. Quite unusual to see so many reasonably well proportioned branches on a tree of that size in Australia. The original owner did a lot of hard ground work in keeping/encouraging all of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

hi everyone

the price has been dropped to $2400.

a few more shots showing all the desirable traits for a shohin JBP.
DSCN0366.JPG
DSCN0367.JPG
DSCN0368.JPG
DSCN0369.JPG
by the way, any comment or critique or advise welcome. :tu: :tu:

regards

Tien
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
toohey
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by toohey »

Why not keep it in his memory and keep growing it?
Good Luck anyway.
Michael
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Nate.bonsai wrote:Yes, a good specimen. Quite unusual to see so many reasonably well proportioned branches on a tree of that size in Australia. The original owner did a lot of hard ground work in keeping/encouraging all of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Nate
It was grown by the best pine grower i know in victoria. And he is not growing them to sell anymore.

toohey wrote:Why not keep it in his memory and keep growing it?
Good Luck anyway.
Michael
Hi Michael
As I said earlier, she does not have the knowledge to maintain it. Plus she took custody of 25 or so trees after my friend's death, that's a lot of work. So we thought we'd try to sell some of the trees for her.
If no one is interested, we'd just have to look after them for her. Might end up buying them myself, but when that happens, the trees won't be sold at mate's rate anymore :whistle: .

Regards
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Great little tree, but a little more than I could get by the minister for finance. Maybe mentioning if the pot is from a recognised potter might drum up some more interest?
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Scott Roxburgh wrote:Great little tree, but a little more than I could get by the minister for finance. Maybe mentioning if the pot is from a recognised potter might drum up some more interest?

Hi Scott
The pot is Japanese but not from a well recognized potter.
The tree has been neglected for 2 years and we have planned to restore the tree to its optimum condition. We are aware that it's a lot of money for a small tree but it ticks all the boxes as far as what we look for in a small pine is concerned.

At the AABC convention in Melbourne two years ago, I sold two old pines from the same grower for $2500(to a Brisbane lady) and $2300(to a local melbournian). I wonder what happen to them now. :lost: and I believe this tree is in the same category. But anyway, times are different now.

Regards

Tien
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop

Post by thoglette »

bonsaisensation wrote:The tree has been neglected for 2 years and we have planned to restore the tree to its optimum condition. We are aware that it's a lot of money for a small tree but it ticks all the boxes as far as what we look for in a small pine is concerned.
Promotion, promotion and promotion. You've got to get the provenance and rarity of this tree OUT in the open where people with $3K to spend on a tree (and hopefully have a professional maintain it) will find it. You need someone who thinks spending $1,000 on a watch is normal.

Outside well heeled Japanophiles you're looking at senior management at Japanese firms (eg Inpex, Mitsubishi, TEPCO, Kirin, Asahi) or in government offices. Or izakaya owners such as, for example, Simon Denton or Andre Bishop. None of whom you're likely to find here.

This is the equivalent of a garage find Ferrari - it's not going to sell to us hoi polli.

Indeed one of the big auction houses might be answer - especially as part of a Japanophile themed auction

Spin the story behind the tree. Hard! You probably need a suitably-connected journalist (preferably with a slight japanophile bent)

Like the Qantas in flight magazine. Or the Australian Polo Magazine. The Financial Review magazine or BOSS.
Last edited by thoglette on January 27th, 2015, 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

thoglette wrote:
bonsaisensation wrote:The tree has been neglected for 2 years and we have planned to restore the tree to its optimum condition. We are aware that it's a lot of money for a small tree but it ticks all the boxes as far as what we look for in a small pine is concerned.
Promotion, promotion and promotion. You've got to get the provenance and rarity of this tree OUT in the open where people with $3K to spend on a tree (and hopefully have a professional maintain it) will find it. You need someone who thinks spending $1,000 on a watch is normal.

Outside well heeled Japanophiles you're looking at senior management at Japanese firms (eg Inpex, Mitsubishi, TEPCO, Kirin, Asahi) or in government offices. Or izakaya owners such as, for example, Simon Denton or Andre Bishop. None of whom you're likely to find here.

This is the equivalent of a garage find Ferrari - it's not going to sell to us hoi polli.

Indeed one of the big auction houses might be answer - especially as part of a Japanophile themed auction

Spin the story behind the tree. Hard! You probably need a suitably-connected journalist (preferably with a slight japanophile bent)

Like the Qantas in flight magazine. Or the Australian Polo Magazine. The Financial Review magazine or BOSS.

Thanks mate, ain't that the truth.

I am preparing a few of the deceased collections as well as some of my shohin and medium size JBP for the AABC convention in Adelaide this May. Any one who is interested in mid size JBP with great taper, movement, buds close to the trunk with multitude of branches, they will all be up for grasp in Adelaide. Photos of what to expect will be posted closer to the date.

Regards

Tien
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

This tree was taken to the market day in Sydney last Saturday and received huge exposure and praises from all who saw it. As I as packing up to leave, one seller(sorry, forgot to ask your name) made a comment " this is the best pine in the country"
I didn't think much of it at that moment, but on my way back to Melbourne I had a bit of time to think about what I learnt from the trip.

I don't think this tree is anywhere near the best pine even in Victoria, but there is something remarkable about it. This is what I came up with.

As far as "achievability", this little pine is probably 9 and 1/2 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. As mentioned earlier, it was grown from seed in the early 90s, that made the tree 24 years old. I thought to myself " will I be able to grow something like this in 24 years? The answer is I'd struggle even with what I know now about how to grow pines. I then thought "if I can't grow it in 24 years from now even if I tried, that'd make this tree rather special".

So This tree will be off the market for now. There will be other good mid size pines up for graps in Adelaide as some of you saw them on the weekend.

Regards
macca66
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by macca66 »

Damn, Tien I meant to have a look at this today!!
Maybe next time.

you know I'm not allowed to buy any more Black Pines... So how come there's a new one in my backyard :palm:
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Hi Tien . I met you at the market and was one of the ones who was really impressed with this tree . I think this tree is special too and I'm glad that it is staying in someone's capable hands .
Cheers Craig
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Wow I didnt even recognize this tree compared to the market day!? fantastic job restoring this tree Tien!

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”