Fresh seed

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Fresh seed

Post by Phoenix238 »

Hi shibui, how have you gone pricking out Acer Pentaphyllum seedlings? I have found that they really don't like having the roots pruned as all the ones I pruned have died, yet the ones without pruning have (mostly) survived. Similar story with the Acer Davidii. The crab apples have gone gang busters though, and I still have a few red Japanese maple seedlings kicking along :tu:

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

The ones I pricked out last year grew fine through the summer. Can't remember how hard I cut the roots on either species.
However quite a few did not make it through winter :lost: Some have shot from near the base, others completely dead. I seem to remember when I first grew Acer davidii a few died and some other gardeners told me they had lost plants in the garden. I don't have enough experience with either to give any definitive advice.

Glad to hear the crabs and maples are still growing.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Fresh seed

Post by Elmar »

G'day all,
Just a 'silly' question;

I have planted Casuarina seeds and the majority have sprouted (yay!).

WHEN would you consider fertilising them? After what time/developmental stage?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449191689.702061.jpg
My tray of fresh Casuarina seedlings...

Cheers
Elmar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Elmar on December 4th, 2015, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Elmar
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I'd be happy to give them some mild fertiliser at that stage Elmar. Make it half strength at this stage then increase to full strength when the real leaves start to grow in a few weeks.
They will still be using up the reserve nutrients from the seed so can still grow without added nutrients at this stage but when they start to put up real leaves they will really need some help.
Casuarinas will be happy with any fertiliser that you can buy. No need for specific 'native' fert for them. (In fact I think all fert sold in WA is low P now so should be ok even for banksias that are P intolerant???)

Basically, when there is green the plant can use nutrients and sunlight to make growth so provide fertiliser whenever there are green leaves. Many people make the mistake of not fertilising young seedlings because it might harm them. Often they have used seed raising mix which has no nutrients. Even when planted in potting mix the few nutrients in it leach quickly and the seedlings that have high need in order to grow start to starve quite quickly.
fossil finder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: swampys
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by fossil finder »

Hi Elmar
I start ferting Casuarinas a week or so after pricking them out and into pots using osmocote (Native mix). At that stage they are about 5-6cm with a couple of branches. I give each about half a teaspoon to start with and crank it up when the plants starts actively growing. I haven't had any issues so maybe you could go a bit harder/sooner.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I have limited amounts of fresh seed available again this year.
Fresh from the trees; Trident maple; Japanese maple (limited amount die to poor seed production last summer); Chinese elm; Chinese quince - Approx 20 - 50 seeds per pack, maybe a few more ;)
If anyone really wants English oak I might be able to find some the King parrots have missed :roll:

Older seed (I have not germination tested these but they should still be viable) Pinus pinea - Italian Stone Pine. - 10 seeds per packet.

Price: $2 per packet + $4 postage.
PM shibui for more details.
goueber
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: fig, pine
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Sakura/Illawarra/National

Post by goueber »

How is that second hand stall doing in Yackandandah, a most amazing shop? My 2 black pines I got from you two years are going well, did an air layer on one. Any fresh seeds of the corky bark oaks this year?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

How is that second hand stall doing in Yackandandah, a most amazing shop?
That could refer to half the shops in Yackandandah Goueber so I'm not sure which one you are referring to.
Glad to hear that some plants I send out are still ok.

re Cork oak: I did not bother going up to Beechworth to collect seed this year so I can't supply Cork oak this time.
If anyone does want some next year let me know early enough (April/May). Obviously there is a cost in time, travelling, etc when I have to go further afield to get seed but happy to oblige if enough people are willing to make it worth while.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Hi Shibui

I received seed from you today. Thanks.

I've been looking for info on germinating seed of the Chinese Quince and the only things I've seen so far is to put the whole fruit in the fridge with damp peat and plant when days are warm, or plant the seed and wait 18 months? Do you have experience germinating them? Can I just sow the seed as normal and wait?
Last edited by dansai on August 2nd, 2016, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I've only ever sowed the fresh seed as normal and they come up naturally.
I'm not sure whether they need stratification (cold) because it is naturally cold up here after seed is sown.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

dansai wrote:Hi Shibui

I received seed from you today. Thanks.

I've been looking for info on germinating seed of the Chinese Quince and the only things I've seen so far is to put the whole fruit in the fridge with damp peat and plant when days are warm, or plant the seed and wait 18 months? Do you have experience germinating them? Can I just sow the seed as normal and wait?
Just a plug for the quality of shibui's seed - 100%.
Japanese maple, trident maple, chinese elm and chinese quince all successful. Big thanks!
Had no idea about chinese quince, so I stratified exactly as per maples.... and :tu:
See the quince pictured below:
quince seedlings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wrcmad on October 23rd, 2016, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”