Fresh seed

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Fresh seed

Post by shibui »

Autumn is noted for deciduous trees giving us a display of colour but it is also 'Seed Season'. Many trees, especially those from cooler climates, have seeds that mature at this time of year ready to germinate a new generation when the weather warms up in spring.
I currently have loads of ripe seed in the garden. Happy to collect some, package and send it if you are interested in taking the time to grow some trees from the start.
NB. Japanese maple cultivars do not grow true from seed. In my experience the seedlings will usually have some of the parent's attributes but will never be exactly the same and must not be given the parent variety name.

I can supply: Acer palmatum - Japanese maple (a range of different varieties); Acer beurgeranum - trident maple; Pseudocydonia sinensis - Chinese Quince; Quercus robur - English oak; Acer davidii - snake bark maple; Acer pentaphylum

Just looking for a nominal contribution for the time to pick and pack and to break even on postage. $2 for around 50 small seeds and $2 for postage for up to 3 packets.
Larger seed - acorns $4 for 20 seeds + $8 post

A little further afield I have access to: Pinus pinea - stone pine; Quercus suber - Cork oak; $8 for 10 seeds + $8 post.

I also have lots of maple seedlings growing in the garden beds. A little later in winter I will be able to offer trident seedlings as well as limited numbers of Japanese maple and Chinese quince seedlings all $1 each.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Fresh seed

Post by Elmar »

Funny what gets a fellow excited - seeds... :shock:

Just wondering if any of these would handle extended periods of very hot weather (I'm partial to Oaks and Pinus Pinea) ... :?:

I they don't go well then I'll pass, no point in collecting more disappointments (and wasting good seed).
Cheers
Elmar
Naimul
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Naimul »

i would be quite interested in the English Oak seeds Shibui.
Acer buergerianum, Acer palmatum, Bougainvillea (something), Ficus microcarpa, Lagerstroemia indica 'Fauriei', Melaleuca styphelioides, Olea Europa, Prunus (something) 'Dwarf Apricot', Quercus robur, Ulmus parvifolia, Zelkova serrata
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Camellia Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Wayne R »

I would be very interested in trident maple seeds.
Peace
Wayne
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

+1 for trident seeds. :)
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Phoenix238 »

I'm still keen for all acer species, especially palmatum and pentaphyllum :tu:
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

I'm interested in the English Oak.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Great to see there are some bonsai growers young enough and enthusiastic enough to start some trees from seed.

Elmar, sorry i forgot to mention in the post - Not allowed to send any seed to WA or Tas. because of the strict quarantine rules. You guys do not want any of the pests and diseases we have over here. :shake:

Phoenix, WayneR, Wrcmad and Phoenix. Need to contact me by PM or email so we can arrange for payment and mailing addresses.
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Camellia Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Wayne R »

shibui wrote:Great to see there are some bonsai growers young enough and enthusiastic enough to start some trees from seed.

Elmar, sorry i forgot to mention in the post - Not allowed to send any seed to WA or Tas. because of the strict quarantine rules. You guys do not want any of the pests and diseases we have over here. :shake:

Phoenix, WayneR, Wrcmad and Phoenix. Need to contact me by PM or email so we can arrange for payment and mailing addresses.
Suffering sussafrass mumblepegging quarantine poodlefakers. I'm in the same boat as Elmar. Couldn't you just glue a pack of seeds to a passing cane toad? They don't seem to have any probs crossing borders.
Last edited by Wayne R on May 17th, 2015, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace
Wayne
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Fresh seed

Post by Elmar »

Wayne R wrote:
shibui wrote:...

Phoenix, WayneR...
Suffering sussafrass mumblepegging quarantine poodlefakers. I'm in the same boat as Elmar. Couldn't you just glue a pack of seeds to a passing cane toad? They don't seem to have any probs crossing borders.
Yer, What He said!

Just send them without all the pests and diseases! That'll fix the problem!

Cheers
Elmar
Last edited by Elmar on May 17th, 2015, 7:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers
Elmar
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Maples and Pines
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai Forum is my source

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

Hey Shibui,

Is it possible to post some images of the Japanese Maple varieties, Tridents and Acer species?
Kind Regards
Allen
Sean M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society; Weston Creek Bonsai Group

Post by Sean M »

shibui wrote:In my experience the seedlings will usually have some of the parent's attributes but will never be exactly the same and must not be given the parent variety name.
Does this mean that any tree grown from these should have the name shibui added? :D
So the Redwood turns to the Bonsai and says "Lend me a Tenner"......
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Sorry Wayne (did not notice your Perth location before). I'm certain there are trident maples in WA. You only need to find one in a garden - they produce prolific seeds and most gardeners will be more than willing to share the bounty (saves pulling up the seedlings later)

Unfortunately pests and disease come free as part of the package guys and the rest of WA would not be thanking you when something takes off after getting established in your bonsai patch.

Elmar, Cork oaks come from pretty harsh areas around the Mediterranean and may do ok up where you are but they are very slow growers normally. Pinus pinea also seems to like it warm and a bit dry so would also be worth trying but they don't seem to make good bonsai :imo:
Neither are very common but you might be able to find some if you look hard enough.
I wonder whether raw pine nuts from the supermarket or health food shop will germinate? Might be worth trying next time you are making some pesto.
Is it possible to post some images of the Japanese Maple varieties,
Which ones :?: :lost: I have around 30 different Japanese maples, some named, others are selections I have made from seedlings I have grown. In any case you need to remember that any seedlings grown will not be the same as the parent. Some will have some of the attributes (seedlings from red leafed vars usually have red leaves, smaller leafed ones usually produce smaller leafed seedlings) but none will be exactly the same as the parents.
My Trident maples are just standard trident maples but I can try to take a couple of photos of them and the other species for you.
Does this mean that any tree grown from these should have the name shibui added?
Nice thought Sean but naming rights go to the grower, not the seed supplier but as you have mentioned it I have some really nice forms here that I have grown from seed.... maybe Shibui satin? Shibui Gold? I don't know if you have tried to come up with names for things but it is actually really hard to come up with a good one :(
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Maples and Pines
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai Forum is my source

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

Seryu or Bloodgood Maple seeds?
I don't know much about the specie but what do you recommend as a hardy maple specie for bonsai.
From the seeds that you have, even though it might not even have the same trait.
Kind Regards
Allen
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Thx Adam.
Sorry to take the Mickey... I did forget about the quarantine issues - would have been fun! I'm raising some Casuarina and Chilli seeds to practice AND to see if I can make some Mamés (pref. Chilli) for fun.

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”