[SELL] Knobbly Berberis

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

[SELL] Knobbly Berberis

Post by regwac »

Dug several similar to this one a couple of years ago . Can't work them all so will try to sell the excess . Have cut back heavily because the branches tend to be straight , straight , straight without a bit of interference . The roots are in good order and should be even better next Spring . Repotted it today into a 300 mm pot .
Asking $250 .
I will be in Nowra next week 3 rd to the 8 th and at Canberra Bonsai Society the 10 th and 11 th .
For those who don't know Berberis , they are deciduous , thorny ( very ) , purple/red leaves if in full sun and green leaves in a shadier spot and they bud back freely onto the oldest wood . Very small flower and fruit .
Cheers
Graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bougy Fan on September 26th, 2015, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: [SELL] Knobbly Berberis

Post by Sno »

Nice taper on this one Graham . It takes a bit to get a trunk this size ,how old is this one ? They have the best autumn color ,for those that don't know them here's a pic of one of mine showing the autumn color .
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by regwac »

The taper was produced with the loppers! Mine are dark red almost burgundy when in full sun . Cheers Graham
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by regwac »

Forgot the age question . These bushes were provided by a landscaper as potted plants and were then in the ground for eight years . I dug them three years ago , so eleven plus a couple in their original pot gives us thirteen years old .
Graham
lenlen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English elm

Post by lenlen »

Sno, what type of Berberis do you have? I have one I'm growing at the moment, but mine doesn't get such lovely Autumn colour!
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by regwac »

Hi Lenten , Berberis colour depends a lot on sunlight during the growing season . In full sun they have dark red leaves and in shady spots the leaves are green . This may influence Autumn colour . Sno's tree is in full sun . Also don't forget that colour is influenced by temperature , it gets cold up where that tree lives ( my place also ) . Graham
bonsai_beginner
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus

Post by bonsai_beginner »

These are incredible! I want to find one here in Melbourne!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Hi Lenien. Mine is Berberis thunbergia the same as the one for sale . Like Graham said full sun when growing . In autumn and winter this tree sits on a table on display ' out the back' which doesn't get as much sun as the spring and summer months , this may or not help with autumn color . These trees make great bonsai because they are very forgiving . Here's a photo of mine just leafing out in spring covered in ice , I had watered it in the morning without realizing it was still below minus degrees . It had grown another centimetre by the end of the day "
image.jpg
lenlen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English elm

Post by lenlen »

Thank you regwac and Sno. :) My Berberis is a deep purple colour - I'm in Melbourne so it's still quite cool on average. I'll try to move it around to a more sunnier spot.
bonsai_beginner
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus

[SELL] Knobbly Berberis

Post by bonsai_beginner »

Last edited by bonsai_beginner on January 31st, 2016, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

You still have this one Graham? If so I'd love to see an update

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by regwac »

That one was sold . I have not heard of its fate . There are several of its slightly smaller cousins still on the bench ( undeveloped ).
Graham

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”