[WANTED] JBP cultivars

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
robc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Homo sapiens
Bonsai Age: 11

[WANTED] JBP cultivars

Post by robc »

Hi All,

Is anyone selling, or know anyone who is selling standard JPB or JBP cultivars within driving distance from Canberra? (or are also willing to post to Canberra?)

My aim is to field grow a handful of them so ideally i'd like to get my hands on young-ish (i.e cheaper :whistle: ) ungrafted trees.

also happy to look at other pine species if the price is right

thanks,
Rob
Each flower is a world and each leaf has a life.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: [WANTED] JBP cultivars

Post by shibui »

I have small JBP in 11 cm plastic pots. Smaller ones start at $15 and upward depending on size and age. Post to Canberra is no problem - around $15 for one or 2 or I could bring them up to the Canberra Bonsai show in spring.

You will be lucky to get cultivars that are not grafted. Varieties can't be grown from seed and cuttings are difficult so unless someone is layering JBP cultivars they'll be hard to find.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by robc »

Thanks Shibui,

i might make the trip to you on a weekend before the CBS show if you're open to the public on weekends. otherwise i might take up your offer for delivery on the weekend of the CBS show.

if i'm driving down i might aswell pick up some a few of all the classic bonsai species if you have them.

cheers,
Rob
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Shibui bonsai is not a retail nursery.
I can manage occasional visitors but only with prior consultation to make sure we will be available at that day/time so please give me plenty of warning before planning a trip.
I'm happy to hold specific trees and bring them up with no obligation on your part but if you do want to make the trip I'm sure you'll find plenty of interest including plenty that is never advertised.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I will have a couple of cultivars at next year's convention. They will be one year grafts. One is a seedling I call ''shinfuku'' (a seedling of kotobuki with very short stiff needles and superb material for small trees) and the other is - I believe - a Black/Red hybrid. It has extremely dark straight needles of very good waxy texture. Growth is somewhat upright and, bark is excellent and the needles are the darkest green I have ever observed. Buds are those of the red pine and needles are all black pine. It was a seedling from a batch of back pines. These will also be 1 year grafts and both very limited.
Mike
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

treeman wrote:I will have a couple of cultivars at next year's convention. They will be one year grafts. One is a seedling I call ''shinfuku'' (a seedling of kotobuki with very short stiff needles and superb material for small trees) and the other is - I believe - a Black/Red hybrid. It has extremely dark straight needles of very good waxy texture. Growth is somewhat upright and, bark is excellent and the needles are the darkest green I have ever observed. Buds are those of the red pine and needles are all black pine. It was a seedling from a batch of back pines. These will also be 1 year grafts and both very limited.
Mike
these cultivars sound interesting. Were they just a stroke of luck with these or did you get cross pollination to occur on purpose ?
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Matthew wrote:
treeman wrote:I will have a couple of cultivars at next year's convention. They will be one year grafts. One is a seedling I call ''shinfuku'' (a seedling of kotobuki with very short stiff needles and superb material for small trees) and the other is - I believe - a Black/Red hybrid. It has extremely dark straight needles of very good waxy texture. Growth is somewhat upright and, bark is excellent and the needles are the darkest green I have ever observed. Buds are those of the red pine and needles are all black pine. It was a seedling from a batch of back pines. These will also be 1 year grafts and both very limited.
Mike
these cultivars sound interesting. Were they just a stroke of luck with these or did you get cross pollination to occur on purpose ?
Mathew,
The 'shinfuku'' was a seedling from kotobuki. A large tree I had at one time. It seems better in that it does not seem to drop needles like that one did. twigs may be a little finer too. Apart from that it is very similar but I cannot call it kotobuki obviously.
The red/black I have no idea. I don't remember where the seeds came from but it certainly stood out among all the others.
Mike
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I have heard that hybrid red/black pine seed is a common problem with seed from Japan now. Naturally the species grew in different areas so did not cross but now trees are planted in gardens and parks all over Japan so hybrid seed is very common unless the seed is collected from isolated areas.
One batch of red pine seed I got grew trees that looked very close to Black pine. Maybe hybrid, probably mislabelled seed.
I will have a couple of cultivars at next year's convention. They will be one year grafts.
For those who are not aware, Mikes grafts are the best for bonsai I have seen anywhere. Grafted very low with great skill so the graft union is usually not visible. :tu:
robc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by robc »

Thanks Shibui,

If i do make the trip to you i'll make sure i get the all-clear from you well in advance.

Mike, your hybrids sound interesting - i'll definitely take a look if you bring some to Canberra.

thanks,
Rob
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hi Rob,
I have 15 (ish) little cutting grown Yaysabusas JBPs pencil thick in 4" pots ready to wire and put in the ground that I might be willing to part with. I have a few that are rubber wrapped, wired and twisted too, they would suit shohin or chuhin if you were to build trunks on them. Getting them to Canberra is no problem.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
Mojo.
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Mojo Moyogi wrote:Hi Rob,
I have 15 (ish) little cutting grown Yaysabusas JBPs pencil thick in 4" pots ready to wire and put in the ground that I might be willing to part with. I have a few that are rubber wrapped, wired and twisted too, they would suit shohin or chuhin if you were to build trunks on them. Getting them to Canberra is no problem.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
Mojo.

The man, The legend...... You do exist. Pm me sometime mate .
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

The rumours of both my fame and demise have been greatly exaggerated Matthew :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Mojo Moyogi on August 9th, 2017, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”