Maple seedlings

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Maple seedlings

Post by shibui »

Once again the Head Gardener has ordered removal of stray seedlings from the garden beds :tounge:
Rather than just get rid of them I'm offering Ausbonsai members the chance to get some cheap stock.

There are plenty of TRIDENT MAPLE seedlings. Most just 1 year old and quite small but a few have grown in better conditions and have reached more than 1m tall and up to 2cm thick. I've noticed a few that escaped notice last winter.
They are all self sown seedlings so they have had no root pruning. Some just have a straight tap root, others have a few laterals near the surface.
seedlings trident 2.JPG
I've found that roots don't really matter at this stage of development. Basically I can cut off almost all the roots and they will still grow. Shortening the vertical roots dramatically actually causes more lateral roots to grow the following year.
At this stage of development the trunks are usually straight with little taper but some have bends near the base where the seed may have germinated sideways at the beginning. Future pruning will start to promote taper and should also give some movement to the developing trunks.
Trident maples: small $50c each;
seedlings trident 1.JPG

medium $1,
larger $2 each (limited numbers of medium and larger seedlings) + post

JAPANESE MAPLE seedlings. These tend to germinate well in spring but many don't survive the summer so I can't supply large numbers of these. Only small and tiny ones available in this offer @ $1 each + post
Typical Japanese maples seedlings.
seedlings JM 1.JPG
seedlings JM 2.JPG
seedlings JM 3.JPG
ENGLISH OAKS. There are plenty of smaller oak seedlings growing under some of the nearby oaks if anyone needs some. $1 each will cover some time for me to go out and dig them for you + post.

Post charges depend on the size and weight of the parcel. Smaller orders, up to around 20 small sized seedlings should weigh less than 500g so cost would be $10. More than 20 or orders with a few larger trees would probably push the delivery charges up to $15. I'll need to check orders with more larger sizes or larger quantities individually before committing to a delivery cost.

email neil@shibuibonsai.com.au or PM if you would like some of these.
Fresh maple seed also available

As Ryceman discovered last year there are also occasional ringins amongst these seedlings, especially if you've ordered larger numbers because I just pull them up out of the garden beds and don't look closely. You could get occasional plum, cherry, quince, apple, viburnum or other seedlings mixed up in the bundle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Maple seedlings

Post by Ryceman3 »

shibui wrote:
As Ryceman discovered last year there are also occasional ringins amongst these seedlings, especially if you've ordered larger numbers because I just pull them up out of the garden beds and don't look closely. You could get occasional plum, cherry, quince, apple, viburnum or other seedlings mixed up in the bundle.
So true. I was so tainted by my experience I ordered a few more to play with this year... :whistle: :tu:
I’ll update my trident forest thread when the reinforcements arrive.
Always a pleasure Shibui! :beer: :yes:
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper

Post by benbonsai »

Pm sent
Slow and steady wins the race
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Thanks shibui, my trident package arrived safe and sound today. Perfectly packaged so no real danger of disappointment from this end! :yes:
Looks like I've got myself some work to do now, no rest for the wicked!
:cool:
I'll be using a few of the smaller seedlings for root grafting my larger trident I think. Looking forward to giving this a go as I've not experienced doing this before.
At the moment they're all sitting in a bucket and I'm waiting for the weather to give me a window where I can get out there.
:beer:
Granite
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Granite »

PMd
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Ryceman3 wrote: I'll be using a few of the smaller seedlings for root grafting my larger trident I think. Looking forward to giving this a go as I've not experienced doing this before.

I got some last year to do just that, they have all taken off this last year and hope they are doing the job :-)

Others were potted up indivudually and wired into tight twists and bends as suggested by Steven H at the SOB Ideas Summit last year.
Repotted them all and rewired a few weeks ago.
Must take some photos and post them here too.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

kcpoole wrote:
Ryceman3 wrote: I'll be using a few of the smaller seedlings for root grafting my larger trident I think. Looking forward to giving this a go as I've not experienced doing this before.

I got some last year to do just that, they have all taken off this last year and hope they are doing the job :-)

Others were potted up indivudually and wired into tight twists and bends as suggested by Steven H at the SOB Ideas Summit last year.

Ken
Ha! It's like you read my mind, that is what I plan to do with those that I have left over, would love to see some pics if you get a chance at some stage Ken. :cool:

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”