Wanted - Sabina Juniper - Perth

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku Leptospermum Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 1

Wanted - Sabina Juniper - Perth

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Hi all,

Just putting the feelers out there to see if anyone in and around Perth has some juniperus Sabina cuttings/prebonsai/saplings for sale? I’ve found it to be an extremely hard cultivar to find in Perth.

Any help would be awesome!

Cheers!
Mickey
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Wanted - Sabina Juniper - Perth

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Also keen for some small shimpaku saplings too! Perhaps some larger stock as well (desperate to have at least ONE bonsai I can be proud of). Sabina is my priority though!
Mickey
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Trimmy »

How hard is it to bring plants over the border? I've seen many shimpaku for sale in Melbourne.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Fyi, You can’t send plants to WA, TAS, or NT.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

There are many plants you can bring over no worries at all. You just must contact quarantine etc etc. There are also many you can’t and, it also depends on which state they are coming from. They have a list of what you can/cannot. I haven’t looked up if junipers are on the banned list though. I was hoping for a local.

EDIT: I did a quick search of the quarantine page and while it lists Juniperus chinensis, no matter what I do, the page just times out. I flipped them an email so interested to see what the go is!

Cheers
Mickey
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

Mickeyjaytee wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 6:24 pm Also keen for some small shimpaku saplings too! Perhaps some larger stock as well (desperate to have at least ONE bonsai I can be proud of). Sabina is my priority though!
Just curious as to why you're so intent on Sabina? From what I see and hear they use it a lot in Europe as they have gnarly old trunked yamadori to collect, but the foliage is not particularly sought after as it is quite loose and unruly.

I bought a decent sized shimpaku stock tree (kishu I believe) from BSWA annual exhibition sales area. I have taken many cuttings from it in the last year and they strike very easily. If you can get your hands on any piece of stock you can keep propagating your own.
Mickeyjaytee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mickeyjaytee »

Patmet wrote: July 4th, 2023, 11:49 am
Mickeyjaytee wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 6:24 pm Also keen for some small shimpaku saplings too! Perhaps some larger stock as well (desperate to have at least ONE bonsai I can be proud of). Sabina is my priority though!
Just curious as to why you're so intent on Sabina? From what I see and hear they use it a lot in Europe as they have gnarly old trunked yamadori to collect, but the foliage is not particularly sought after as it is quite loose and unruly.

I bought a decent sized shimpaku stock tree (kishu I believe) from BSWA annual exhibition sales area. I have taken many cuttings from it in the last year and they strike very easily. If you can get your hands on any piece of stock you can keep propagating your own.
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the reply. So Sabina is quite an underrated plant for bonsai. The leaves can be trained to be as dense if not more dense than a Shimpaku juniper. They are one of the only plants the Japanese will actually import into their own country. Very hard to get ahold of. These were the words of a very good source here in Perth, I’m taking his advice. Sadly, there is very little information out there on them.

I was told by a member they would see if they have a spare tree but, I don’t think they were being serious. I haven’t been going to BSWA meetings though I always go to The Bonsai Workshop meetings.

I do have a few stock plants but, they have a very long way to go yet. I would kill for a nice big Shimpaku stock plant!

Cheers
Mickey
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

Mickeyjaytee wrote: July 4th, 2023, 3:28 pm
Patmet wrote: July 4th, 2023, 11:49 am

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the reply. So Sabina is quite an underrated plant for bonsai. The leaves can be trained to be as dense if not more dense than a Shimpaku juniper. They are one of the only plants the Japanese will actually import into their own country. Very hard to get ahold of. These were the words of a very good source here in Perth, I’m taking his advice. Sadly, there is very little information out there on them.

I was told by a member they would see if they have a spare tree but, I don’t think they were being serious. I haven’t been going to BSWA meetings though I always go to The Bonsai Workshop meetings.

I do have a few stock plants but, they have a very long way to go yet. I would kill for a nice big Shimpaku stock plant!

Cheers
Ok I didn't know that. I have a Juniperus x pfitzeriana/media bonsai which is a hybrid between J. Sabina and J. Chinensis. Common ornamental nursery species.

It's definitely not an easy task finding that kind of material in WA. Good luck with the search.
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Trimmy »

I just noticed Sabina tube stock at Bunnings in Melbourne. Maybe WA Bunnings have them too. ? They were in the bonsai section.

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”