Acalypha wilkesiana ... informal upright

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Camellia Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Acalypha wilkesiana ... informal upright

Post by Wayne R »

I'm very new to bonsai and need a little (lot?) help. This tree was my first attempt at aerial layering and it has gone ahead in leaps and bounds with great roots and new shoots appearing everywhere. I think I can learn a lot from this little tike.

I've pretty much settled on an informal upright style and have figured out that the next step will be to select a new leader to continue trunk movement. I also think that it would be best if this new movement was back to the left as viewed in the image. To achieve this, would my best option be to encourage a new leader from the left or right side of the trunk as viewed? Btw, the current chop is horizontal to the trunk at the point of cut.

Or should I continue the current movement to the right? Decisions, decisions. All help/ideas appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wayne R on January 31st, 2015, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace
Wayne
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Re: Acalypha wilkesiana ... informal upright

Post by Brian »

Mate, you need to let it grow for a season then reassess the shape next year when its developed a few more branches.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Hi Wayne,
I agree with Brian, Just let it grow for a while and see what comes out rather than trying to make an ironclad plan at this stage.
I think the shoot from the right would end up better though. A shoot from the left side will just about straighten the trunk. Remember also that as they thicken trees tend to put more thickness inside bends than outside (trying to make the shortest distance between base and apex ie a straight line) so they do tend to straighten as they thicken so more bend early is better.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Camellia Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Wayne R »

great advice... thank you folks. So, off to the fattening farm (s)he goes while I work on my patience :lol:
Peace
Wayne

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”