Spruce - Is It Too Big?

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Spruce - Is It Too Big?

Post by Watto »

I then put the pot on the stand as it will be too heavy later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

The most difficult part was lifting the tree into the pot (its heavy) but once it was in I positioned it, tied it in and then filled the pot with the potting mix. I used nearly a barrow load of potting mix and put it in the pot by the bucket load.
The following photos are of four differing sides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the photo Mal, I will use that for my inspiration.
Watto
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Wow what a mission!

Keep it up!

(Better you than me!).
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Good job Watto, I like your idea with the tile turntable :cool:

and that pot is HUGE!!! (or you get really small tubs of osmacote :lol: ) ... I've lived in units smaller than that :lol: :lol: :lol:

how's the back today :shock:
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Watto, that pot is massive!
Well done on chopping it back, there is a tree in there for sure with some more growth and a good design :tu2:
In my first 6mths of bonsai I killed a garden centre (much, much smaller) spruce because I pruned it hard and repotted in one go.
The differences other than you have years more experience, were that:
a) I did it out of season in summer...you did not,
b) I bare rooted (you did not) and root pruned,
c) I pruned back all growth to just a few sets of leaves and existing buds...you left healthy/viable growing tips,
d) your tree is much older and has been established by you over time and although mine looked ok, I didn't know its history/health.
Obvious mistakes on my part due to total inexperience.
Having said all that, I don't know this genus well but think I recall have read it is best not to prune spruce hard and repot at the same time :?:
I am not suggesting it will not survive, but am interested to hear from you and other members with experience of Spruce trees as to wether it is ok to repot and prune heavy in one go.
Love your tree and that you tackled such a large specimen. Best of luck with it and I look forward to seeing it thrive in future posts :tu2:
Cheers, Dario.
PS hope you are ok with my long post :)
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Boics - I hope that this will be a progression series on the progress. I will be asking for assistance again I have no doubt as the members here are very knowledgeable.
Ryan - I needed a good hot bath afterwards.
Dario - I too have read and been told of the sensitivity of spruce and I probably have been quite careful of how this tree has been handled. However there comes a time when it is impossible to avoid doing some trimming and some root pruning at the same time, and this is it for this tree. When I originally dug it I cut the top off it and trimmed it all round and put it in the wooden box. I then went to research it and found out how sensitive it is so I may have been lucky. The root system was good with many fine roots and very few large roots (the thickest was about 7mm) so I remain hopeful. Some proper after care will be the key, but I can assure everyone I didn't soak it in seasol overnight (couldn't find a container big enough).
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Thanks for Watto :tu2:
Will enjoy watching you develop this tree.
Cheers, Dario.
tygcaldwell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tygcaldwell »

Hello. How is this tree coming along? Do you have any updated pics or any further advice on what has and hasn't worked over the past couple of years? Thanks.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Hi,
Well, the tree had a bad accident a couple of months after the potting. In a very windy weather the tree "toppled" and crashed to the ground. The table was broken, the tiles were smashed and the tree was on the ground in a now repairable pot but thankfully still alive. That was November 2013 and the tree is still in the same position. My reasoning was that too much work too soon may be fatal to the tree, and it has lived happily there ever since. The plan is to get a gang together in very early March and move it to a new location (away from the wind) and in a new pot. Getting pots big enough is an issue and one of the reasons why there has been a slight delay (but I think the new pot is better, wait till you see it!).
Anyway, here are a couple of broken pot/tree on the ground photos, and promise there will be an up-date when the move has taken place.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Damn that's a bummer. Sounds like there may be an up side though . . . :fc:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

As promised, following are a few photos of the re-pot. Although I did measure, the new pot is fractionally smaller than the old one. I was pleased that the roots had filled the old pot while it was on the ground so we didn't need to do too much.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Part 2

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”