Squamata Styling

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Re: Squamata Styling

Post by Andrew Legg »

Allen,

I think you are gonna struggle to get styling advice on this simply because it is difficult to see what's going on in there. Your apex I's definitely too heavy for the slender trunk, so it will need thining out. You could probably compress the trunk as well as it would probably help to bring the foliage down. Just ideas.

Looks like nice material.

Andrew
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Really hard to see trunklines with all that growth, but agree with the above in that it needs to reduce the bulk before you can decide from sure. Makes it real hard in pictures especially so see what is going on.

Thin out any dead bits, Thin out any branching from the inside of curves as they will most likely not be needed, remove the bamboo sticks.
On really thick bushy bits reduce some of it by selectively pruning so that you allow light and eyes in to see what you have.

Once you can pretty plainly see the trunk line you can then picture in your mind, (Or in a virt) of what you have and thus can achieve with it.
I am sure Kez had a similar tree he posted as a progression

Ken
Last edited by kcpoole on March 31st, 2015, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Maples and Pines
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai Forum is my source

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

kcpoole wrote:Really hard to see trunklines with all that growth, but agree with the above in that it needs to reduce the bulk before you can decide from sure. Makes it real hard in pictures especially so see what is going on.

Thin out any dead bits, Thin out any branching from the inside of curves as they will most likely not be needed, remove the bamboo sticks.
On really thick bushy bits reduce some of it by selectively pruning so that you allow light and eyes in to see what you have.

Once you can pretty plainly see the trunk line you can then picture in your mind, (Or in a virt) of what you have and thus can achieve with it.
I am sure Kez had a similar tree he posted as a progression

Ken
So thin it up to a point that there is light entering the foliage and having a dense compact foliage is a No in bonsai?
Kind Regards
Allen
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Allen,

Having dense compact foliage is a good thing in bonsai, but it's good for a show, not to get advice on a tree's design. We can't give advice on what we can't see. It's that simple. The other aspect of course is that for back budding (which allows us to keep growth near the trunk) you need light penetration. To do this you need to "open it up" to let the light in. If I ask you to give me advice on how to arrange my furniture in a room, but then give you a photo of the room taken from the outside with the curtains closed it is difficult to give advice. So, with that in mind, if this tree was mine I'd do the following:

1.) Reduce the foliage mass by 30% over the top of the tree.
2.) Wait a bit and let the tree recover from this work.
3.) Get comments on options and assess them according to your taste.
4.) Act on them next spring.

Of course, the question that begs asking is what did YOU see in this tree when you bought it? Was there something about it that appealed to you, or was it just that you thought that it "would make a good bonsai"?

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

PS: It's worth saying that as that is a juniper it can probably be bent into almost any form. Where it ends up may be largely a function of what your personal taste is.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I feel like there is some subtle reverse taper in the last image you posted but that might just be a perspective issue in the images, in any case I agree with the general vibe of the last few bits of advice submitted... The top is heavy and needs thinning, and I reckon that once you've done that give the tree a rest and time to recuperate a little before doing much more. I think I'm pretty conservative in this respect, but I think this will give the tree some time to recover and give you a bit of time to get your ducks in a row and figure out some direction for this one... an individual bonsai isn't created in a day, or even a season... or sometimes even a decade! Remember the tree is yours, it's fine to get advice and direction but make sure it remains yours when it comes to the decision making!

Good luck.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Nice tree - lovely problem to have!
I like the idea of compacting the stem ... I recon that would really accentuate the movement.
This one of those moments where I'd be thinking about the Junis that have the split in their bark and as they develop they develop flat, crazy trunks... Sorry trailed off there.

But must agree that the top is looking very heavy and out of proportion to the trunk... Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Post by JaseH »

For me, the trunk is very thin for the height of the tree, I'd be looking at bunjin style trees for inspiration. Think long graceful movement in the trunk with minimal well placed foliage. :2c:
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

Andrew Legg wrote:Allen,

Having dense compact foliage is a good thing in bonsai, but it's good for a show, not to get advice on a tree's design. We can't give advice on what we can't see. It's that simple. The other aspect of course is that for back budding (which allows us to keep growth near the trunk) you need light penetration. To do this you need to "open it up" to let the light in. If I ask you to give me advice on how to arrange my furniture in a room, but then give you a photo of the room taken from the outside with the curtains closed it is difficult to give advice. So, with that in mind, if this tree was mine I'd do the following:

1.) Reduce the foliage mass by 30% over the top of the tree.
2.) Wait a bit and let the tree recover from this work.
3.) Get comments on options and assess them according to your taste.
4.) Act on them next spring.

Of course, the question that begs asking is what did YOU see in this tree when you bought it? Was there something about it that appealed to you, or was it just that you thought that it "would make a good bonsai"?

Cheers,

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

When I first saw the 8+ Squamata stock from Balco Bonsai, I imagined it to look something like

http://www.elquintobonsai.com/wp-conten ... 00x224.jpg and a combination of http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/blog/wp-con ... iper02.jpg visually.
I was looking at an informal upright design. However there was one Squamata that had been taken the 3rd time I went back which had a Formal Upright design. What I saw in the squamata was a weeping like foliage and some smaller foliage draping from the apex/trunk
Kind Regards
Allen
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

Ryceman3 wrote:I feel like there is some subtle reverse taper in the last image you posted but that might just be a perspective issue in the images, in any case I agree with the general vibe of the last few bits of advice submitted... The top is heavy and needs thinning, and I reckon that once you've done that give the tree a rest and time to recuperate a little before doing much more. I think I'm pretty conservative in this respect, but I think this will give the tree some time to recover and give you a bit of time to get your ducks in a row and figure out some direction for this one... an individual bonsai isn't created in a day, or even a season... or sometimes even a decade! Remember the tree is yours, it's fine to get advice and direction but make sure it remains yours when it comes to the decision making!

Good luck.
I notice there were some small reverse taper but I don't think its noticable from a distance until you get closer.
Kind Regards
Allen
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

Andrew Legg wrote:PS: It's worth saying that as that is a juniper it can probably be bent into almost any form. Where it ends up may be largely a function of what your personal taste is.
I did notice some 'sap' like substance at the time when I was removing a branch closer to the trunk with a knob/branch cutter. I also accidently broke off a branch towards the apex.
A: Not the right time to be bending to hard - did support but snapped off too easily.
B: Too much sap
Kind Regards
Allen
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

JaseH wrote:For me, the trunk is very thin for the height of the tree, I'd be looking at bunjin style trees for inspiration. Think long graceful movement in the trunk with minimal well placed foliage. :2c:
Already got something in mind from googling
Kind Regards
Allen
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

Thoughts anyone?? in terms of picking your preferred angle of view from images 1 to 4.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind Regards
Allen
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by kez »

Angle 4 for me
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Hi allen. When taking a picture of your trees if you can get a shot more level with the tree rather than looking down on it it will give a better view. Unless you are changing the planting angle the photo should just show the rim of the back of the pot.

From the photos you have provided angle 4 for me too.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”