Collected Trident Maple

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Re: Collected Trident Maple

Post by Luke308 »

Great progression!! I am curious as to how the lower scar which later became the hollow came about in your 2007 pics? Obviously the upper hollow was carved after a chop, but I can't see how the lower scar happened. Did you happen to have a view to make a hollow and scar it, with a view to have is callous, so you could then dremmel the shari out of it? Keep up the good work :tu:
Luke
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Luke308 wrote:Great progression!! I am curious as to how the lower scar which later became the hollow came about in your 2007 pics? Obviously the upper hollow was carved after a chop, but I can't see how the lower scar happened. Did you happen to have a view to make a hollow and scar it, with a view to have is callous, so you could then dremmel the shari out of it? Keep up the good work :tu:
Gday Luke!

The initial injury to the lower trunk occurred during a particuarly hot, dry Summer. Without sufficient foliage to shade the trunk, the late-afternoon sun on the trunk effectively cooked the bark on that part of the tree. (I have a number of other trees that suffered a similar fate at the same time.)

Thanks!

Fly.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by Luke308 »

FlyBri wrote:
Luke308 wrote:Great progression!! I am curious as to how the lower scar which later became the hollow came about in your 2007 pics? Obviously the upper hollow was carved after a chop, but I can't see how the lower scar happened. Did you happen to have a view to make a hollow and scar it, with a view to have is callous, so you could then dremmel the shari out of it? Keep up the good work :tu:
Gday Luke!

The initial injury to the lower trunk occurred during a particuarly hot, dry Summer. Without sufficient foliage to shade the trunk, the late-afternoon sun on the trunk effectively cooked the bark on that part of the tree. (I have a number of other trees that suffered a similar fate at the same time.)

Thanks!

Fly.
I was hoping to be able to re-create a similar scar on one of my tridents, as I really like the direction you have taken and I have always wanted a hollow bonsai. However, I don't think I could possibly get a scar to happen so low down on the trunk. Might just have to carve bit by bit?? :fc:
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Homer911 »

Any recent photos??

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”