so ...is it or is it not a Bonsai

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: so ...is it or is it not a Bonsai

Post by bodhidharma »

Jarad wrote:Is there potential that the hollow stump will strangle the top part of the tree as it grows? Or will the stump just break?
I really don't know Jarad, it will be fun to watch though.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

This guy is moving along and starting to overlap the stump. A fun project that sits on the back bench and gets checked to see how it is doing. Ramification is coming along and it would now be impossible to separate the stump and tree (without a chainsaw). :palm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

I wonder how the living tree looks under there after all these years? Nicely done Bodhi. Great to see projects like these keeping things interesting.

Do you know how thick the trunk is underneath? How much room it has to thicken?

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

bodhidharma wrote:This guy is moving along and starting to overlap the stump. A fun project that sits on the back bench and gets checked to see how it is doing. Ramification is coming along and it would now be impossible to separate the stump and tree (without a chainsaw). :palm:
Hand me down my walki'n cane and hand me down my coat. I'm stepp'n out!
Mike
Andreas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Andreas »

I think go and do what you like, make your experiences, there is no norm of personal preferences. I like the idea to do traditional but also my own styles. If we all stick to the norm, the world would be boring. Have fun
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Pearcy001 wrote:I wonder how the living tree looks under there after all these years? Nicely done Bodhi. Great to see projects like these keeping things interesting.

Do you know how thick the trunk is underneath? How much room it has to thicken?
It is hard to see into the tree itself but i reckon it would be pretty weird looking in there. I had to do a lot of manipulation of branches to correct positions and they would cross over the trunkline.
treeman wrote:Hand me down my walki'n cane and hand me down my coat. I'm stepp'n out!
Yep :palm: a bit like that Mike. Amazing how much time we can waste when we could be doing other things, like working on real trees. Also interesting the projects that we start then WE HAVE to finish them .....for no other reason to, well, finish them.
Andreas wrote:I think go and do what you like, make your experiences, there is no norm of personal preferences. I like the idea to do traditional but also my own styles. If we all stick to the norm, the world would be boring. Have fun
Agreed :tu:
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

bodhidharma wrote:
Pearcy001 wrote:I
treeman wrote:Hand me down my walki'n cane and hand me down my coat. I'm stepp'n out!
Yep :palm: a bit like that Mike. Amazing how much time we can waste when we could be doing other things, like working on real trees. Also interesting the projects that we start then WE HAVE to finish them .....for no other reason to, well, finish them.
No - I mean the last pic of the tree looks like it has it's coat on and a walking stick and struttin down the street. :)
Last edited by treeman on April 28th, 2016, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

treeman wrote:No - I mean the last pic of the tree looks like it has it's coat on and a walking stick and struttin down the street.
Yep, i understood that Mike :yes: Gavin G made the same sort of comment earlier in the thread and i agree with both of you. I might call the project "Putting on the Ritz" with an Alnus cordata. I was making excuses for a project that will probably not have a future and daydreaming about this bit of a time waster.
Theodore
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Larch
Bonsai Club: Albury Wodonga Bonsai Society

Post by Theodore »

Bodhidharma

If you learn something from it, the time is definitely not wasted. And sharing your experiment means we can all learn something as well!!

Im really interested to see where this one goes as imo it is a very pleasing tree!

Theo
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

Hi bodhi,
I personally think it's a great looking tree and you can't call it an oddity. Tomorrow I'm driving home to Tamworth from central coast, there are at least 4 trees that I pass in paddocks that are of similar concept. I've watched these over the years and they starting to blend with each other. So what happens in nature can happen as a bonsai. Which is what you happen to have, just a little bit different. Their only jealous :tu: ;)
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

looks good -----it will be interesting to see the branch placement and movement and the state of the bark after the casing cracks up and is removed
Lane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided....
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by Lane »

May not technically be classed as a bonsai by the purists but it would still look great on the bench, I like it.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”