Privet dig

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
her0d
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2

Privet dig

Post by her0d »

Hey guys,
I noticed this privet growing near my area and decided to dig it up this afternoon.
It only had large aerial roots which made the dig a quick and easy one.

Solid trunk that divides into two.
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG
It also has a sucker that has developed off one of the larger nebari.
IMG_0257.JPG
Would it be a good idea to train this as a smaller secondary base trunk similar to Si90's twin trunk privet to hug the main trunk?
Thread link: https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 30&t=21589

I've potted it into a large styrofoam box and added plenty of mulch and well draining soils.

Will take better photos of it soon.

Cheers,
Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Privet dig

Post by robb63 »

Hi Jack
Your very lucky collecting one of these so easily.
More often than not they require serious pick & shovel work to get them out
Your idea looks good to me and its a good way to keep the sucker and main trunk together.
Best thing about privet for me is they are tough as nails . You can leave very few roots and
they will bounce back fast. I would cut back the big roots hard and get it into a flat, wide shape
pot or grow box/container. Get the roots sorted first in a shape you like then look at cutting down
the main trunk. One year in a good bonsai mix and you will be spoilt for choice with new shoots.
My privets seem to grow all year here in Sydney and have been great for experimenting/learning on
I'm sure you'll have fun with this one.
cheers
Bob.
Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus rubignosa
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: Irimbirra

Post by Timritchie »

I collected privet this afternoon as well, I really like privet, it’s bullet proof and freely available, grows like the clappers, for best results root prune twice a year. I don’t find them hard to dig, trees up to 50mm trunk diameter take a couple of minutes, it may have something to do with the soil type which is a alluvial sandy loam on the banks of a small river. Here’s a couple of bad pics of the best one.
Cheers Tim
ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
her0d
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by her0d »

Hey Rob and Tim,

Yes I've heard they are tough trees, maybe I should take it out of the pot and re-root prune it tomorrow?
Dibbo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Albury-Newie Bonsai Connection

Post by Dibbo »

Hi Jack,
Agree with all that is said about privet being a tree that will establish easily and grow all year round and therefore great to experiment with especially if a beginner. Also, I think we are doing the local bushland a favour if we remove these pests to allow natural vegetation to take hold. I would remove the sucker and cut the main trunk lower. :imo: I have a number of privets I am playing with so I hope you don't mind if I share them on your page. My first attempt was a forest. A lot of work to go on it yet but it has been fun. Here are some pics.
Privet forest 3.1.18.JPG
IMG_1407a.jpg
IMG_5081a.jpg
Privet 23.4.17bc.jpg
Privet 3.1.18.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
her0d
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by her0d »

Hey Dibbo,
You have some inspiring privets on their road to becoming bonsai.
It makes me want to go out to the bush and keep searching!

I think you’re right about removing the sucker so that the attention is drawn up the main trunk.
Though I would like to keep the twin trunk look... I do think there could be enough taper to warrant keeping them.
What we be the main reasoning behind removing the two trunks?

It is early days but just my initial thoughts.
Here are some better photos.
image_6483441q.jpg
image_6483441 (2).JPG
image_6483441 (1).JPG
Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus rubignosa
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: Irimbirra

Post by Timritchie »

Hi Od, IMO it’s not really a twin trunk per se, if you prune it as in your vert it will recover and send out a “lot” of shoots all over and would lend itself to more of a broom style design. I gather you have just collected this “yamadori “. I would not touch it for at least 2 months and see how vigorous the plant is, then I would make any decision regarding any major pruning. If it was up to me I would take off the left side trunk and prune back to the little shoot and develop from there, you would then have more options from semi formal upright, broom, windy etc. keep the water up and once it starts shooting feed, feed, feed. Cheers Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
her0d
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by her0d »

Yes it was just gathered last week, looking forward to seeing it explode with shoots.

I see what you mean by going for a broom shape and remove one of the upper branches, however I wouldn't mind attempting something a bit unorthodox and see what could be made from the original tree's form. Anyone feel free to comment if this will become a future eyesore!

Cheers
Dibbo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Albury-Newie Bonsai Connection

Post by Dibbo »

Hi Jack,
I am thinking that if you cut the trunk at an angle, below where the two trunks separate, then any new growth coming from this cut would be your new leader. Allow it to thicken and therefore induce better taper. You already have a bit of movement lower down but I think as it currently sits, the trunk is too long. :imo: This tree, with plenty of water, fertilizer and a root prune and repot each season, will go berserk so you can basically do what you like with it.
Cheers
Dibbo
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

There's no one 'right' style for any tree. Some people like tall, stately trees. Others prefer short fat trunks. There will be as many opinions as there are bonsai growers but thinking of styling this tree is currently premature :imo: This tree has just been collected. First it has to survive collection :fc: Also, sometimes one or more branches or parts of the trunk will die after collecting due to root loss or disease entering the weakened tree so we may yet not have all the current options to work with if and when this tree recovers from the current round of trauma.

Just give it plenty of time to recover and grow a bit to regain strength before insulting it any further.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
her0d
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by her0d »

Thanks for your comments. Only time will reveal what is possible!

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”