Happy with this one

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
seephil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Happy with this one

Post by seephil »

I couldn't really resist not buying my first PJ Fig when I first saw it.

I wondered into my local this week for the first time in a few months. Was planning on purchasing anything really, but just wanted to get some inspiration and also enjoy some of the very brief sun we have in Melbourne. I consider myself pretty lucky as I thought this would be an excellent specimen to start and introduce myself to Figs. The only other fig I have is one of those crappy mansai you find in Coles, not being rude or dirty here but it resembles more like a Camel's hoof. :palm:

Anyhow back to my new fig, I bought it for several reasons, mainly because of the taper, nice nebari and it was under a $100, which I thought was a bargain. However I'm willing to except that I might be wrong. When I first picked it up, I noticed spiralling of the roots, indicating its pot-bound. I will be planning to repot it this weekend into a colander. Does this sound like a bad idea? I was thinking of spreading out the roots and start to wire some of the branches, I have read the PJ figs are pretty robust.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Happy with this one

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi Seephil,
Congrats, it's always great to come away with something you are happy with. Nice one!
I only have limited experience with figs but I wouldn't think repotting into anything is a great idea until the weather warms up a bit down here. I think figs are generally repotted when overnight temps are above 15deg or so (could be wrong on that?) ... around the end of Spring. I think if you wanted to started wiring it's probably OK to get some on now.
If you find yourself with some free time since the repot is out ... maybe head to Preston - I think there's something on that might be worth a look!
:beer:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Looks like this one has been pretty neglected for some time but being a fig it should grow really well when it gets a chance.
Definitely still too cold to be repotting ficus down here. For now, just feed it well and keep it out of the frost. feeding now will see it a little stronger when repotting in October or November. At that time of year you can really cut roots hard to promote a really good nebari. At the same time I would cut all the branches by half to get plenty of new buds closer to the trunk. Put the bits you cut off in as cuttings if you want a couple more figs.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

it was under a $100, which I thought was a bargain
Is that a typo, or are figs very expensive in Melb?
seephil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by seephil »

melbrackstone wrote:
it was under a $100, which I thought was a bargain

No, not a typo. Considering it’s size, I thought it was worth it :lost:
As mentioned by Shibui it was quite neglected and the price tag was pretty faded, making me think it was to be sold a season or two ago.

Thanks for the tips and I will wait till it warms up before I do anything with this one. If I were to trunk chop, will I still need cut paste for figs?

Yup Ryceman, sure will be heading to Preston this weekend. I went to the Yarra Vallaey Expo and the one in Footscray last year too. Seen some really impressive trees out there.
Last edited by seephil on July 20th, 2018, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I expect that figs are expensive in Melbourne compared to QLD prices. As always, prices reflect time and effort required as well as supply and demand. The reality for us southerners is that figs do not grow like weeds down here so they need to be imported from you bananabenders, grown in relatively expensive glasshouse space or given more time to grow slowly in our cool climate. (have a close look at the nodes on those branches. I suspect that, even though this is quite small as figs go it is probably at last 10, possibly far more years old) All that means there are less of them around so growers may be willing to pay a little more.
As is often the case, many vendors seem to think that their product is far more valuable than it probably really is :shake: and unsuspecting clients (sorry seephil) are sometimes willing to pay the asking price rather than the sale price.

All that does not really matter, Seephil has a tree he is happy with at a price he was happy to pay.
If I were to trunk chop, will I still need cut paste for figs?
Cut paste is never mandatory. It does however almost always speed up healing of cuts, especially larger ones so I think it is usually worth the bother. How much trunk were you thinking of cutting?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I expect that figs are expensive in Melbourne compared to QLD prices. As always, prices reflect time and effort required as well as supply and demand. The reality for us southerners is that figs do not grow like weeds down here so they need to be imported from you bananabenders, grown in relatively expensive glasshouse space or given more time to grow slowly in our cool climate. (have a close look at the nodes on those branches. I suspect that, even though this is quite small as figs go it is probably at last 10, possibly far more years old) All that means there are less of them around so growers may be willing to pay a little more.
no doubt about that at all, we have trouble giving them away.... :lol: :lol: Yes, I'd say it's around 10 years old, judging by the ones I've got here that have not been grossly overfed and pampered.

Keep it in a warm sunny protected spot during the cold months, and give it good air and light whenever possible, @seephil. They do love the heat, so that's when you target it with food, for growth and development.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”