Rock Penjing - The Serissa Cliffs

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Kyle Goldcoast1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig & Serissa
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Kyle Goldcoast1 »

Hi all,

So I bought a nice azalea and serissa combo bonsai from bunnings for $20 a few months ago and have been letting it grow mainly because I didn't have time to repot it or do anything.
But over the past couple of days I've had the time so I repotted the azalea and gave it a prune, while it was out of the pot I actually dropped the pot which had the rock glued to it and it came apart (no break, just came off).
0.jpeg
So I thought I could do something seperate with the rock.
I used the serissa from the first combination buy, as it had grown a lot since purchasing.
3.jpeg
The rock I'm not sure what kind it is or if it a synthetic rock, but it is pretty easy to grab a screwdriver and carve the rock how you want. I put a bit of a dug out in one side where I thought having a bonsai would look good.
1.jpeg
I used regular bonsai soil with some clay from a recent dig in the backyard as some support for the soil.
2.jpeg
The serissa looked a bit overgrown and as I was looking to prune it I noticed it looked like 2 trees had merged together with 2 sides both having roots. Super lucky to have this so I gave it a snip straight down the middle and got 2 serissa trees with root systems.
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
I tested the clay on the rock to see how I could make a bit of a wall for the soil but allow so drainage. I tried it with the serissas to find a good angle and added some soil to hold them so I could go make a coffee.
8.jpeg
9.jpeg
10.jpeg
11.jpeg
They looked a bit bare and the clay did not look appealing so I took some moss from my other bonsai and got to thinking. They look much better with moss covering the clay and soil, and will also help with keeping moist as I reckon with such a small amount of soil it could dry up easily outside.
12.jpeg
13.jpeg
14.jpeg
16.jpeg
15.jpeg
So after a little clean up by using the spray bottle on power mode (with super accuracy), it looks really good. I'm happy :tu: I tried o get the moss looking like it would grow in crevices and nooks in the rock with the flow of water
18.jpeg
19.jpeg
20.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kyle Goldcoast1 on October 19th, 2018, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Rock Penjing - The Serissa Cliffs

Post by alpineart »

Hi Kyle , mate the rock looks like hebel block , its aerated concrete which I use for rocks and landscapes . Nice to see your progression .

Cheers . Alpineart
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Looks very nice Kyle. Now you just need to find a nice slab or tray to mount it on. :tu2:
cheers, Frank.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Well KyleGc1...I reckon it's a mile ahead of what you purchased; the original being a couple of small plants in a pot with a rock .... this version being you .... or at least a reflection of your creativity. So :imo: bang! You're ahead already.

I hope it all survives and if it does, I reckon it'll look good as the moss starts to take and the serissa perhaps trained in semi-cascade style.

As Frank says, topped off in a flat try or slab. Lovely!

Cheers for posting.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Looks good Kyle. This would look good in a tray or very shallow pot...

There's a group on fb that I am in, where one of the fellows lives in China. He seems to have endless supplies of trays for his penjing. Turns out he buys plates that are sold for the restaurant trade for supplying warm towels to customers...
Kyle Goldcoast1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

MJL wrote: I hope it all survives and if it does, I reckon it'll look good as the moss starts to take and the serissa perhaps trained in semi-cascade style.
Thanks for the praise everyone. I was wondering what you all advise in terms of feeding a rock style penning like this? I know the serissas won't grow a massive amount due to the small soil and placement, but I'm hoping for some growth to possible get a few flowers going.

I'm going to use a small bit of dynamic lifter in a a fews once it has settled a bit, any other recommendations for feeding and watering this style? I've been watering the top of the rock, rather than the trees or soil so the water runs off into it and not impacts on the soil and causes any erosion.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Hey Kyle,

I was just interested in the progress of your creative work here - I know it’s only a few months after your post but did it survive? Also regarding your fertiliser question - I generally oscillate between Powerfeed and Seasol; swapping between the two every few weeks in the growing season. I am not an expert but seems to work on most of my plants including Serissa. I reckon regular liquid feed should be fine for your planting too. Cheers, Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Mark, FYI Seasol is not a fertiliser as such more a tonic for roots, cellular structure in plants. Good at repotting time but not feeding.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks Kirky - I keep learning! I ‘sort of’ knew Seasol was not a fertiliser but didn’t know what that meant and clearly I misunderstood the tonic bit .... in my mind I was picturing Powerfeed/liquid fert for whole tree and a top up for those poor roots constructed to a pot with a regular dose of root tonic/Seasol. [SEE-NO-EVIL MONKEY] I guess I’ll remove Seasol except at repotting now. Thanks for people’s patience with my daftness! Learning, learning ....

KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

No daftness it’s all cool. Seasol won’t hurt anything just trying to save you some dosh ;)
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Kyle Goldcoast1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

MJL wrote:Hey Kyle,

I was just interested in the progress of your creative work here - I know it’s only a few months after your post but did it survive? Also regarding your fertiliser question - I generally oscillate between Powerfeed and Seasol; swapping between the two every few weeks in the growing season. I am not an expert but seems to work on most of my plants including Serissa. I reckon regular liquid feed should be fine for your planting too. Cheers, Mark

Unfortunately it did not survive. We had a really hot couple of weeks and several days I was away and did not water. I found the soil did not stat moist for very long at all and the rock absorbed all the water I put on it. Will possibly try to use the rock on a bigger scale design I'm thinking of, like a slate landscape piece or slab planting.

Also side note, does anyone know how to make muck without buying a lot of products or stock?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Muck, also called Keto.
Keto is traditionally made with clay and cow manure. The fibres in the manure help hold the clay together so less cracking and shrinkage if it dries out. Also helps water penetrate and adds some nutrient. Keto can be very hard to rehydrate if it does dry out. Adding sphagnum moss really makes a difference to rewettability.
Exact proportions will depend on the clay and your individual needs and preferences. Try starting with 1/2 aged cow manure (I have not tried alternative manure types but may be worth experimenting if there are few cows in your area) and 1/2 clay then try adding more clay or more manure to get a good, mouldable product.

Replacing some or all of the manure with chopped sphagnum moss will make a big difference in wettability.
Many modern muck recipes replace manure with peat but this mix still does not rewet easily.
If your muck shrinks a lot as it loses moisture try adding some sand to the mix. This will make it more abrasive on the hands when you mix and mould it but will reduce shrinkage and cracking.
Aged compost may also have useful properties for making keto

Clay for keto is traditionally sourced from rice paddies where many years of manuring and rice straw has broken down into sticky black mud. Might be difficult to find a suitable rice paddy close to the Gold Coast though.
You may be able to find suitable clay on building sites or along roadside cuttings. Knowing a little about soils will help to identify suitable locations to search. Suitable soils are sticky and hold together well when wet. Doesn't need to be as smooth as potter's clay so some grittiness is fine and will even help reduce shrinkage. Soil colour does not matter because you will end up covering it with moss or something else. Volcanic soils often decay into good sticky clays. The best clay I have found comes from cricket pitches (the cricket club will probably take a dim view of you mining their ground, even though it is for bonsai). Merri Creek Mud (from Melbourne) is prized material for cricket pitches. I got a good store when the local club was renovating the wickets at our local ground. A bucketful will probably last a lifetime of bonsai.
I think everybody knows where cow manure comes from. You can buy it by the bag or pick up in a nearby paddock. Leave the wet ones and use older, dried cowpats.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

shibui wrote: I think everybody knows where cow manure comes from.
My wife, numerous friends and probably much of this forum thinks it comes from my mouth a lot of the time. Harsh, but probably true.

Thanks for the update Kyle. Bummer about the serissa penjing - but nothing ventured, nothing gained and at least you gave it a crack and learned a few things along the way.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Last edited by MJL on March 28th, 2019, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”