Ginko Biloba...As per request..Please add yours

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Ginko Biloba...As per request..Please add yours

Post by TimS »

I’ll take a photo of my 25 year old ginkgo stump I collected last winter when I get home.

It’s only another 20 years or so away from being a bonsai :palm:
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Matthew wrote:here is mine a twin trunk also. Excuse the weeds i know im a bad boy :tounge: height around 620mm and its about 95mm in the trunk. it actually has put on some girth this season and the nebari is quite good thats to shibui, ill update into autumn and also winter. i have a very nice early pat kennady pot i think will suit this tree well when the time comes.
rsz_ginko_feb11.jpg
rsz_ginko_base_feb11.jpg
I didn't realise its been almost 8 years . Man these things are slow to ramify . Ill get a photo up shortly . Its been in a bonsai pot for several years now .
Last edited by Matthew on March 26th, 2019, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

My 25 year old Ginkgo stump i collected last year.

Interestingly i know it is 25 years old because my dad actually grew this tree from seed for a school fete at my primary school!(feeling old now)

It was purchased by a family friend and it has grown in their nature strip all these years before they called me and asked if i wanted to dig it up because it was set to be put through a council wood chipper. The council operator gave permission for me to dig it, and it has been in the polystyrene grow-box since early winter last year recovering.

It was about 6 feet tall when i collected it, so i cut it down and got some good shooting happening as a result. Now i'm tossing up if cut it back harder this winter, but i might let it grow and recover for another year before i do that

It has some really nice flaky bark, the bulbous lower section was actually under the soil line, so i discovered that only after digging it up. As is say, check back in about 20 years for it to actually be a bonsai given how slow growing they are.

It's just cool to have a tree my dad grew when i was a young kid return to the family a quarter of a century later, even if it is just a stump for now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TimS on March 26th, 2019, 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Good God, has it been that long :o Mine has made progress then :whistle:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Starfox »

I picked this lot up last year, it was in muddy soil and holding too much water so I repotted it in Autumn while still leafed out. I was a bit concerned but after months of waiting I can finally see some green buds pushing. Not sure if all 5 have made it but pretty happy that some have.
I wanted to split them but my wife really likes the forest look of it so I'll leave them be for now.

I do have another slightly more interesting but waiting for signs of life first.
Deciduous trees stress me out. lol

This was it last year after repottong.
gink.jpg
IMG_5288d.JPG
Last edited by Starfox on March 30th, 2019, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Matthew wrote:
Matthew wrote:here is mine a twin trunk also. Excuse the weeds i know im a bad boy :tounge: height around 620mm and its about 95mm in the trunk. it actually has put on some girth this season and the nebari is quite good thats to shibui, ill update into autumn and also winter. i have a very nice early pat kennady pot i think will suit this tree well when the time comes.
rsz_ginko_feb11.jpg
rsz_ginko_base_feb11.jpg
I didn't realise its been almost 8 years . Man these things are slow to ramify . Ill get a photo up shortly . Its been in a bonsai pot for several years now .
So here it is several years later . Slightly more ramification and slightly larger in the base . If anyone is wondering that is a early PK pot that i love to death. Should start to colour in the next week or so .
rsz_ginko.jpg
Last edited by Matthew on April 2nd, 2019, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Matthew wrote:. Should start to colour in the next week or so .
And colour beautifully they do. Yours has come along nicely Matthew, nearly tamed the foliage, wonderful :worship:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Nice one Matthew :tu: the bark on the trunk is looking really nice. Any chance of seeing the full colour and later leafless? Nice pot too.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

KIRKY wrote:Nice one Matthew :tu: the bark on the trunk is looking really nice. Any chance of seeing the full colour and later leafless? Nice pot too.
Cheers
Kirky
I will get some photos in the coming weeks . That pot is a fantastic glaze dosent do it any favours from a far . ill get some close ups .
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

bodhidharma wrote:
Matthew wrote:. Should start to colour in the next week or so .
And colour beautifully they do. Yours has come along nicely Matthew, nearly tamed the foliage, wonderful :worship:
Thankyou. I think with a few more cool nights and shorter days it should get a nice colour this year . Its taken awhile to get the leaf size under control . I didn't realise just how much they have reduced until I put one next to my garden ginko the other day. Ill have to get a pic
Last edited by Matthew on April 2nd, 2019, 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Gingko are just great. Not only the tree but also the story behind this species - fossil remains indicate that this one has remained relatively unchanged since the dinosaurs roamed the earth. There were probably a number of species back then but now only a single species left growing in some remote places in China. They hold special significance for Chinese people and have been planted near temples and holy places and there are some immensely old, famous specimens.
Gingko is also renowned for resistance to air pollution and is one of the few trees that survive in polluted cities.
Add the great autumn colour and unusual leaves.......

Here's my contribution:
P1200933.JPG
And autumn colour last year
autumn 2018 1.JPG
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Nice Neil, they are worth it for the colour alone. This has had some ground growing? I have had some in the ground now for 15 years and still not impressive enough to dig up.
gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by gnichols »

I've had this one I'm guessing for a little over a decade (in a pot until a few months ago). Despite how long I've had it, it isn't particularly impressive which is why I've stuck it in the colander in the ground. I like them but very slow going.
20190402_181710.jpg
20190402_181639.jpg
Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

This has had some ground growing? I have had some in the ground now for 15 years and still not impressive enough to dig up.
That gingko has been in pots all its life. May have spent a few years in a smaller poly box :lost: Time does have something to do with it. This is one of my oldest trees though only relatively recently achieved bonsai status. I've had it well over 30 years.
I don't think gingko like acid soils. Both Margrit and I have tried planting them as garden and paddock trees numerous times on separate properties only to see them get gradually smaller each year until they cease to exist.
In contrast, 2 planted in the garden on this current garden have grown quite well - 4-5 m tall in 7 years.
I have a couple in the grow beds now. Growth is not as spectacular as trident maples but they are certainly thickening up far better than in pots. Ramification is something else entirely though...

Ginkgo are spectacular but please allow some time (and then maybe a bit more) to develop a bonsai gingko
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theodore
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Larch
Bonsai Club: Albury Wodonga Bonsai Society

Post by Theodore »

I love this tree Neil! And while the pictures do it some justice, seeing it in person takes it to another level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”