Brachychiton acerifolius - Illawarra Flame Tree

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Brachychiton acerifolius - Illawarra Flame Tree

Post by Jon Chown »

Has anyone had any experiences with this species?

I found one growing in my back yard some time ago and potted it into a pot and left it for a few years occasionally cutting it back but mostly ignoring it.

During my last major repotting, I decided to put it into a cerestone growing pot and see what I could do with it (a challenge).

I didn't like the way the new leaders had taken off so I decided to cut back to a side branch and attempt to bend it up. The following photos are of my attempt.
23-12-08 003.jpg
23-12-08 005.jpg
23-12-08 006.jpg
Well, this method was a failure as the new leader died but as luck would have it, it has sent out a new leader in the right position.
23-12-08 017.jpg
as well as a couple of shoots further down - I'll have to see how it goes.
23-12-08 019.jpg
Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Brachychiton acerifolius - Illawarra Flame Tree

Post by PeterW »

Good luck with that one Jon! It will be a challange indeed. They are a nice tree but not to sure how or if the leaves will reduce, the flower is quite large to i think isnt it?

I like your method of straightening the new leader, good use of hose clamps...lol.
Good luck with it.
Peter
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

that may be a great technique jon, thanks :!:

good luck with the tree, and keep us posted...
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jon Chown »

Yes Peter, I always new it was going to be a problem tree but now that I can see that it buds back on old wood and responds well to cutting, I will be quite happy to rise to the challenge and I am also happy to let it become a tall tree - meter meter and a half will be fine to suit the leaf and flower size. I think that I can reduce the leaf size by constant management. Nothing to lose and everything to gain

Jon
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Jon Chown wrote:I always new it was going to be a problem tree... Nothing to lose and everything to gain
Gday Jon!

That's the spirit!

From your posts here, I've gathered that you already have an abundance of trees that you know how to train and care for: it's great to see you posting one that poses a real challenge! (I gave up on Brachychiton species - populneus in particular - years ago, as I found them too unpredictable.) I know the Koreshoffs claim some success with Brachychitons, so I'm sure you're equal to the task.

Thanks, and good luck.

Fly.

PS: Sorry I could not add anything of substance, but I like to think that I'm 'barracking' for you and your tree's cause. :oops:

PPS: Would you consider chopping the trunk lower at some stage? I know it would significantly increase the time until it becomes 'real' Bonsai, but... :D
Last edited by FlyBri on January 11th, 2009, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jon Chown »

Well Fly, before I answer, let me say that I had not read this post prior to posting on your thread on Eucs so for those who may think that we have a mutual admiration society going on here - it isn't so.

Yes It has entered my head to cut back further but only after I noted what the results were from the last attempt. Now that I know that I can expect shoots from older wood I would be happy to do it, but I think that I will just wait and see what happens with the new shoots for a month or so.

Thanks for your comments.
Jon

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”