Betula Pendula aka Silver Birch

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Betula Pendula aka Silver Birch

Post by Luke308 »

These are a few of the $2 tube stock tree I bought a while back from Raywood nursery I am thinking they will end up as shohin, but I am unsure as to how they will respond to leaf reduction so they may end up having to be a little bigger than I first thought

They aren't anything special but I thought I would document their progress
Birch000001.jpg
Birch000002.jpg
Birch000003.jpg
2.3.12 033.jpg
2.3.12 034.jpg
2.3.12 030.jpg
2.3.12 031.jpg
2.3.12 032.jpg
2.3.12 037.jpg
2.3.12 038.jpg
2.3.12 039.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Betula Pendula aka Silver Birch

Post by Craig »

I have a soft spot for the Silver birch Luke, i grew a couple of small ones when i first started ,just like the one you have here, they lasted a while but they were in a very shallow pot and dried out. I bought a rather large one some time after, did a big chop with any knowlege of them and it bled and bled sap . Best time to cut them is when the sap slow down. good luck with it mate. :yes:
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

Craig wrote:I have a soft spot for the Silver birch Luke, i grew a couple of small ones when i first started ,just like the one you have here, they lasted a while but they were in a very shallow pot and dried out. I bought a rather large one some time after, did a big chop with any knowlege of them and it bled and bled sap . Best time to cut them is when the sap slow down. good luck with it mate. :yes:
Thanks Craig, I recently read (after I had chopped) that they bled quite a bit. I use a wound sealant on all my deciduous trees whether the cuts are big and small and I am glad I did on these as it could have been disastrous otherwise. From your comment I'm guessing winter would be the best time to cut/prune them as the sap flow would have slowed? Do you still have yours? Also I'm reading between the lines here but are they a thirsty tree when in a pot or was it more because it was a shallow pot?
Thanks
Luke
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

yeah i guess winter not totally sure mate, but the trunk on the one i chopped was about 120mm and i used cut paste -it bled anyway, oh well we learn. Re; the smaller one , only like a pencil in a pot about 25mm deep, too shallow then but now i'd prob be ok.
pretty sure they drink alot like you say , persist and just go slowly with it till you get the feel for them.

http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com. ... birch.html

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=silve ... 20&bih=559

here it is ,i dug it out of the archives :palm: , don't laugh
CRAIGS28.JPG
CRAIGS10-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Craig on March 3rd, 2012, 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Bretts on March 3rd, 2012, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Ok Seriously I too had a silver birch just like your first pictured Luke.
I had high hopes for it because it was growing so well and had a great root spread. Then something really weird happened when I added some DL and it carked it. Still not sure exactly what happened but it looked exactly like a fertiliser overdose :lost:

I also had a inch thick one that I cut back hard then later found out that many birch don't like trunk chops and it only budded back as suckers. all gone now.

Your pics make me want to get a small one to try again. I reckon with their resistance to back budding that might be the best way to go with these.
Nice start :yes:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

Bretts wrote:Ok Seriously I too had a silver birch just like your first pictured Luke.
I had high hopes for it because it was growing so well and had a great root spread. Then something really weird happened when I added some DL and it carked it. Still not sure exactly what happened but it looked exactly like a fertiliser overdose :lost:

I also had a inch thick one that I cut back hard then later found out that many birch don't like trunk chops and it only budded back as suckers. all gone now.

Your pics make me want to get a small one to try again. I reckon with their resistance to back budding that might be the best way to go with these.
Nice start :yes:
Thanks, On the link Craig provided above of Walter Pall's birch, in the comments he says they need to be fertilised often or they become weak. He also confirms that they are thirsty little trees.

If they bleed so profusely would that mean you wouldn't be able to air-layer one?

And Craig, good on ya for having the guts to put pics up from your archive. It looks like most of the "bonsai" (and I use that tern very loosely) that they sell at my local bunnings
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Luke, I tried some silver birch a while ago and it was looking good for a while then started losing branches all over the place. Nothing I tried seemed to help. You may want to consider keeping it soaking in a shallow tray of water when the roots fill the pot. They tend to like it really wet.
Mike
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Greth »

I had an inch thick one which was chopped and regrowing nicely, unfortunately a plant customer spotted it and I had to sell, money being an issue. Should turn into a nice tree eventually.
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I have tried and tried with these guys and have had debate on this forum about their worthiness as Bonsai
. They grow wild in Europe and places like Canada and are phenomenal to see but they do not do well in this great land of ours. Mine consistently dieback for me and it does not matter what i do. I will stand by my belief that they are not a good Bonsai specimen IN THIS COUNTRY. Most of the Birch in the Central highlands died during our last dry spell. These are two i have had for a long time.
Last edited by bodhidharma on March 3rd, 2012, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

no prob Luke,

Luke308 wrote:If they bleed so profusely would that mean you wouldn't be able to air-layer one?
this first one is from 1961,
http://www.forestry.umn.edu/prod/groups ... 259604.pdf

http://weetrees.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 05&p=69916 :beer:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I have trouble passing a challenge like that up Bodi 8-)
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hey Luke,

Nice start there and definitely the way to go with birch. Like others here I have tried & failed in the past. They are a cool climate tree & hate both our heat & drying of any sort. Another issue I found is the way they callous around big chops, causing taper issues & basically looking ugly. It may be different since you have used wound paste but I would look to grow them slowly in pots, trying to avoid any big cuts.

Good luck with them & I look forward to seeing them develop for you over the coming years.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Bretts wrote:I have trouble passing a challenge like that up Bodi 8-)
So would I Brett but Silver Birch in my climate and with my set up... PASS ....

Good luck out your way, find the coolest wettest spot in your shadehouse & pray. :worship:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Best of luck, Luke, but I agree they can be problematic (=b***** annoying!). Trunks look ugly when chopped back, branches die back, they're temperamental in the pot, they hate Australia...

Gavin

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”