Yamadori olive

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Re: Yamadori olive

Post by Andrew F »

Rintar wrote:this one from the big elm post??
Yer that beast. :yes: :yes: :yes: Thanks mate.
time8theuniverse
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by time8theuniverse »

Great to see the progress in your olive. I just spent 2hr digging up one a couple of weeks ago which ended up in the backseat of the car to get it home. Now that its in the vegei patch I'll have to wait and see how it recovers. :yes:
Patience is often a surprise.
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: A realy good one :D

Post by Olivecrazy »

time8theuniverse wrote:Great to see the progress in your olive. I just spent 2hr digging up one a couple of weeks ago which ended up in the backseat of the car to get it home. Now that its in the vegei patch I'll have to wait and see how it recovers. :yes:
Great stuff you have any pictures :) also try not to dig olives during winter as sometimes they can be slow to recover the warmer months seem to be much better but in saying that your olive should be fine they are tough trees :D
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Olivecrazy wrote: ... also try not to dig olives during winter as sometimes they can be slow to recover the warmer months seem to be much better but in saying that your olive should be fine they are tough trees :D
What makes you say this mate? I find it an interesting statement. I'm not disagreeing, it's a genuine question.

Cheers,

Andrew
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

Use to work for a bonsai nursey many yrs ago use to do our collecting mid to late winter elms ash olives etc an soon noticed that olives that where collected during late spring an into summer soon caught up to the ones collected in winter. Im thinking its the cooler ground temperature that affects them :lost: :lost:
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: elms,ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by krittas »

Olivecrazy wrote:
time8theuniverse wrote:Great to see the progress in your olive. I just spent 2hr digging up one a couple of weeks ago which ended up in the backseat of the car to get it home. Now that its in the vegei patch I'll have to wait and see how it recovers. :yes:
Great stuff you have any pictures :) also try not to dig olives during winter as sometimes they can be slow to recover the warmer months seem to be much better but in saying that your olive should be fine they are tough trees :D
i find that interesting as well..im in perth and dig mine mainly in winter especially after its rained for abit (not that seems to happen much now :palm: ) but i do this for ease of digging them..get them potted up and as soon as the weather starts to heat up off they go,they all recover well and so far i havent lost any...
i think olives could be run over with a truck and still survive tho.. :lol:
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Yamadori olive

Post by matlea »

I dug one just at the start of winter (only second olive) and it has sulked.(still green on trunk though).. All of the wet weather hasn't helped either. No more watering and have now put it in a clear plastic bag to keep the humidity up and excess rain out.. Hope this does the trick. Good to see your olives powering on!
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

matlea wrote:I dug one just at the start of winter (only second olive) and it has sulked.(still green on trunk though).. All of the wet weather hasn't helped either. No more watering and have now put it in a clear plastic bag to keep the humidity up and excess rain out.. Hope this does the trick. Good to see your olives powering on!
yeah the excess rain has been a pain this year have a bit of yellowing on new leaves on a few olives did a quick google search an looks like a bit of over watering . I get home after dark most days :palm: check a tree or two if a bit dry i water the lot :lol: :lol: but will now change this ;)
Do you have your olive in full sun :?: :?: an make sure you removed all the leaves as well as this will slow it from shooting as well did a test on one this year an this seems to be true.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

Its in the sun but have left a few leaves ..literally...on the top, they seem to be going yellow anyhow so will most likely drop off. Just hope the weather starts to heat up!
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

Howdy there came home early from work an got creative with this olive pruned out a lot of branches an gave it a light trim to push growth into the shoots that i may use later. The design will change a bit from what ive posted before but thats bonsai :whistle: its looking real nice right now an come summer i think ill be starting to position branches.
Some of the shoots i took of today where over 20cm long :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

The base of that thing is just ridiculous mate. Good work.
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

Yeah it is i like the bark on this tree an from looking at other pictures that i have im sure there is another 5cm under the ground :) will leave it in its grow box for another year was keen to plant it in the ground but dont think i will since its growing well.
Got some power feed today an will start to feed it once i notice new growth from this choppin i did today :lol: :lol:
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Bosai pot !!! :aussie:
Regards Antonio:
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

Wired this olive up for the first time :tu: shoots have toughen up a bit over the last 2 weeks an i got some 1.5mm wire. Main aim was to thin out the shoots an to wire them down to push more shoots on the lower left branch on the main trunk :fc: .
Gave it a feed of powerfeed so in a month or to may be able to wire it some more most of my olive are growing really well now :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Edward Scissorhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie natives, Pines, Maples, Figs, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Edward Scissorhand »

Man, yu got some fantastic olives in your collection. My kind of size too. Good work!

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”