Yamadori olive

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: A realy good one :D

Re: Yamadori olive

Post by Olivecrazy »

Yeah i like the bigger stuff :D have to wait another 4-6weeks for more growth hopping it will back bud along the branches that i wired down so i can then wire the secondary branches into place . From there ill clip an grow to fill out the foliage pads over the next 8mths i think this tree will progess a lot during the warmer weather coming :fc:
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

Here is the latest design ive got for this tree i like busy trees :D trying to get this branch placement an the top will be rounder then this virt shows. The only part of the trees that is taking its sweet time is the trunk on the right :palm: drawn in a semi cascading branch as ive lost count of the shoots that i have removed from there so decided to let it have its way hahaha have seen a few tree with a branch like this so will give it a go :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

Re-worked this tree yesterday took all the wire off an the branches stayed in place :tu: so wired it up again an trimmed it taking the growing tips of most branches to start ramification by clip an grow. Later ill let sacrifice brunches to grow from a bout half way along each branch to fatten them up.

I also cut back the second trunk on the right a bit more an there is new shoots in a good pace to train up :) so its looking good for only 7mths after collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

Did some further work on this tree re-wired it an thin out some branches it was getting a bit busy :o

Placed branches so they don't over lap each other an have started ramification on most branches now using the clip an grow method :D. the second trunk has a strong shoot growing :fc: should be able to wire to shape around Christmas.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

That looks like it will be on track for your design O.C. I would love to work on a large olive but they dont do well here in pots.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Yamadori olive

Post by matlea »

Looking good ..cant wait to see it in a few months time once it's developed further... Great trunk
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

bodhidharma wrote:That looks like it will be on track for your design O.C. I would love to work on a large olive but they dont do well here in pots.
Where do you live :?: i sort olive grow just about every where :reading: you should go collect a biggy :tu: they are great trees :D
matlea wrote:Looking good ..cant wait to see it in a few months time once it's developed further... Great trunk
Im hoping around Christmas time ill be able to wire the top of the tree :fc: branch placement at the top isnt ideal right now so will have to be creative i like collected material they always a challenge
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

Yay was able to wire the top of the tree been waiting to do this for a while :lol: :lol: :lol: will let it grow a little higher then tip the top shoot an the top branches to get it back budding. Going to see how bushy i can get the top :whistle: :whistle: an the second trunk on the far right is growing like a weed have wired it to protect it from the wind (and kids)
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus

Post by NathanM »

Great stump and achievable design man!! My biggest issues is the taper, or lack of, in the left hand two trunks. particularly the first one.
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

Lack of taper has always been a problem but i don't really notice it myself any more :lol: :lol: over time may get a bit better taper to it, no fast way with olives trunks are what they are in most cases but will be growing a sacrifice branch on some branches each year in the hope it will gain a little taper over time :fc:
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus

Post by NathanM »

My thought is to cut back further and grow a new leader, sure it may take longer, but you will get a much better bonsai. It will be next to impossible to grow that lack of taper out using sacrifice branches.
I don't want to to sound like i am harping about things, and I am by no means an expert, but you should be trying to notice things like lack of taper, otherwise your bonsai won't improve any farther.
but just my opinion :)
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

Todays picture :D worked on it yesterday going great tipped the main growing shoot up top an will start working on the crown of the tree need to track down a pot for this monster now :fc:
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku

Post by MoGanic »

Wow less than a year and yet so much progress! Gotta get me some olives!
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Looking good there mate. I think you must just let that top one go now and thicken up otherwise you're gonna end up with a massive step transition. :fc:
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

Yeah you are right i tipped the top to push them side branches a little more, the plan now is to pick a branch towards the back half way up that leader an let it grow out from the back for a year or two :fc:

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”