Yamadori olive

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
addict2bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: leptospernum laevigatum
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: BonSocWA BonW

Re: Yamadori olive

Post by addict2bonsai »

To help with the growing on of this olive can I suggest you make a wooden box pot or build a pot using form ply base and foam brick walls. I think the roots need to be able to have room to grow and some selection to reduce the number so you end up with good nebari. What did you do with the base you chainsawed off? If you keep olive root bulb , turn it with roots skywards, but cut to bulb edge, and cut flat surface down you can achieve wonderful clumps that look like rocky outcrop with forest
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: A realy good one :D

Post by Olivecrazy »

addict2bonsai wrote:To help with the growing on of this olive can I suggest you make a wooden box pot or build a pot using form ply base and foam brick walls. I think the roots need to be able to have room to grow and some selection to reduce the number so you end up with good nebari. What did you do with the base you chainsawed off? If you keep olive root bulb , turn it with roots skywards, but cut to bulb edge, and cut flat surface down you can achieve wonderful clumps that look like rocky outcrop with forest
Yeah you are right there are a few big olives in my yard now most are going to go in a wooden grow box my sisters hubby has 2 big olives which he put into wooden box 20yrs ago an they still going strong effective an cheap to do :tu:

This tree was getting bushy so 2-3hrs i had it re-trained it has grown abit but not up the top, cut back a fair bit taking out some small branches so hopefully will get the top going again will feed tomorrow with power feed.

Picture below shows the tree next to my 8yr old son which helped me with the wire today :) he has trees of his own as well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

A few days ago i made a wooden grow box for this tree i reppotted it the roots had filled the phome box :tu: then got a chain saw out an reduced the back of the trunk making a shohin broom (will start post on it shortly). I placed a layer of gravel on the bottom cleaned up the roots an checked out the flat cut all looks great lots of roots coming evenly around the base. The tree is starting to fill out an look good cant wait till 1-2yrs time :yes:

The box i made is 80cm X 60cm 15cm deep cost to make one this size was only $25 an 30mins to put together once the timber has been cut to size :tu: took a picture with my 8yr old son to show size of pot an tree :yes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

My monster olive starting to respond to this warmer weather now which is great :tu: has an even burst over the tree with fresh shoots going to just let it grow until the new yr it will be my new yrs day tree to work on if i can keep my hands of it for that long :lol: :lol: :lol: think it will really benefit the tree to let it gain some vigor :imo:
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

Love the shear size of it. :clap: :clap: I want one!
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

Looking good mate.

Have you considered having the apex down where the base of the current new leader is? Just to the left of the base of the current new leader is a little rounded pad that would make an excellent apex.

Carving the stub remaining would help with blending it in to the overall tree.

Looks good how it is though, I just feel the height underwhelms the power of the trunk a little.

Good work as always!
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Good job OC. I agree with Mo though . . . . I feel it should be shorter in some way. Not sure how, but I also feel you're going too high.

Cheers,

Andrew
time8theuniverse
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by time8theuniverse »

It is definitively an OC tree style wise.
Its a high standard of tree.

I would say that the trunk are all swept from right to left but the apex goes up. I think the apex needs to follow that sweeping movement to bring the height down visually.
Patience is often a surprise.
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Olivecrazy »

im growing it up as a sacrifice branch to thickn the new leader :D the tree will have a much rounder top the more it fills out the more the design will work have picture in my head of the finished tree :lol: :lol: below is a picture of the three canopy's it will have 1-2 yrs i think be looking great :fc: :fc:
time8theuniverse
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by time8theuniverse »

I saw a completely different tree in there but I can see where you want to head. Its got me thinking. :aussie:
Patience is often a surprise.
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku

Post by MoGanic »

Olivecrazy wrote:im growing it up as a sacrifice branch to thickn the new leader :D the tree will have a much rounder top the more it fills out the more the design will work have picture in my head of the finished tree :lol: :lol: below is a picture of the three canopy's it will have 1-2 yrs i think be looking great :fc: :fc:
Very nice mate, look forward to seeing it resolve in the future, will be a great tree.
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Oc, I personally am of the opinion that for a tree with such a powerful base, a shorter height but a far wider canopy would be a good visual compromise. I am not suggesting a ridiculous sumo height, but still something a lot shorter and wider than the green outline you indicated.
Just a suggestion :2c:
Nice tree! Look forward to see you develop it.
Cheers, Dario.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

I'm with you OC, I think you've used the movement in the trunks well. And yes, thickening the leader is the way to go before you cut it back. It will be a damn fine monster.

Gavin
Last edited by GavinG on September 25th, 2013, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

OC,

I was thinking more kinda like this mate:
OC.jpg
Cheers,

Andrew
morrow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus

Post by morrow »

Hello OC,
i love all the plants I've seen you post so far.
you truly show respect and care for them, I'm new to actually having my own bonsai plants but have been an admirer for a long time.
Just a quick question in regards to your planter box, is it treated pine, or what sort of wood is it and do you line the inside with anything before you use them?
cheers, currently i'm using polystyrene veggie boxes. As you know they don't really do much for the eye.

Cheers

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”