landscape under construction

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

landscape under construction

Post by alpineart »

Today was a day i had planned for some time . To create another landscape with a difference .
SANY0075.JPG
The materials used are all left over construction items
SANY0076.JPG
from a recently completed reno' , waste not want not , definitely a different outcome for items destined for the rubbish tip . This is only the start
SANY0081.JPG
of what will probably take several days to complete ,
SANY0082.JPG
6 hours of cutting
SANY0083.JPG
grinding and shaping
SANY0084.JPG
,The poly marble slabs will become the trays used in the Penjing, garden hose with thick wire inserted make for a good base perimeter to prevent the glue/render from running all over the show and gives a neater contained profile finish
SANY0089.JPG
Another 2 hours to glue and coat the structures for the first part of the exercise
SANY0093.JPG
. I did mange to make several rock outcrops for future use
SANY0094.JPG
, no good setting up for 1
SANY0095.JPG
when 2-3 can be made at the same time . These will need several days to cure before i begin the render process, that in itself will take 1-2 days to complete then a few more to cure . After which the waterproofing will be done followed but the final colour coating and waterproofing again . I will then work on the poly marble carving in the hope to produce a water tray in one and a soil tray for the other . By hook or by crook in 2 weeks they should be complete and ready for some serious landscaping .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: landscape under construction

Post by Bougy Fan »

Are you making "The Magic Castle" like at Disneyland Ian ? :lol: :lol: Being polymarble it doesn't really need the waterproofing - just the render, is that right ? Can't wait to see it finished :tu:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
marleey73
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: -

Post by marleey73 »

Brilliant. Please keep us updated. Very ingenious. Thanks for sharing. :aussie:
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bougy Fan , the poly marble even when carved is impervious to water . The rocks are autoclaved concrete so they will absorb 3 times their weight in water , several waterproofing layers are required . It wont break down or deteriorate but will be constantly wet inside so that will definitely contribute to the break down of the glues and the render coats , Sealing these sorts of item is essential unless using marine grade materials , even then waterproofing is certainly worth the extra effort .Other that that use real solid granite or the like which is sold for about $5 a kilo and 2 rocks this size and shape would set you back a fist full of dollars and weigh a hefty 30-50 kilo's .I hope to keep these around the 20-25 kilo mark completed .The 1200 mm x 400 mm slab weights about 15- 20 kg at a guess .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi marleey73 , i will most certainly keep updating as it progresses from now until it completely finished in a few Decades or someone comes along and take it off my hands .

Cheers Alpineart
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Coming along nicely alpine. How's this one doing these days viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6452&hilit=landscape

Josh
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi kidsandall , my little 8 week old panda bear loved it . I left him home one day and he exercised his right to prune it for me . Border collies love chewing bonsai and climbing up to the highest vantage point , the landscape happened to be it . It had some issue with fertilizers as some plant don't like the type i use . Still growing with a couple of extra ring in plants happening . I will at my earliest chance get back to it and do an update .

Cheers Alpine
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Thanks Alpine, we spent 3 yrs travelling around OZ with our 2 kids and places like what is depicted in your landscapes are dear to my heart as I love the outback. I have a few Ideas for down the track a bit once I get more expirience with my trees. Your landscapes show a real likeness to the real places, I love them.

Josh
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Wow, you sure have been busy Alpine!
Look forward to seeing it in a couple of weeks :tu2:
Nice recycling too!
Cheers, Dario.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Yes Dario , i'm always busy doing something .Well the suns coming up and its into action again.
SANY0001.JPG
After yesterdays sunny day i decided to apply the first waterproof render coat over the rocks
SANY0004.JPG
.I have added a couple of extra pieces of rock to give it a more pleasing 3D look just in case someone was to display it as a center piece . This will need time to dry and shrink then another type of render will be applied to the whole lot again with added waterproofing agents .
SANY0005.JPG
No good going to all this trouble to have them deteriorate in 5 years time . Now i need to get back out there and pot up a big juniper into a training box i knocked up yesterday . Definitely no rest for the wicked around here .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpineart on August 28th, 2012, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Alpine, looking very nice indeed!
I am sure they will be great judging by your previous landscape constructions.
I enjoy watching these projects as I have not attempted anything like this before and I find it really interesting to see how you go about it...gives me lots of ideas too:tu2:
When you do this work, do you have an idea of the finished image, or is it a case of getting creative in the moment and going with the flow?
Also, do you have an idea of what species you will use before you start (does this affect how you construct them?), or is the species decided afterwards?
Thanks in advance...cheers, Dario. :)
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Good going alpine, too many times have i had a hard time looking for specific style stones for penjing and sakei landscapes, i need half your motivation and the skills to be able to make them.

Cant wait to see this finished.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Dario , mate i have a finished image before i start . Rarely does it alter unless it doesn't look like it should during the construction , hence the added pieces to the tall rock .Different colours give you different impressions so you need to alter shapes , sizes and textures .The more natural it looks the better . Its easy to make a stone but to make a rock outcrop or mountain range takes research to end up with a natural texture and finish . It's not hit and miss its all trial and tested long before i start .

Being a chippy helps as i have used most of the materials in the construction industry so it is second nature to enhance a finished product and utilize the natural textures to my advantage . We all have an artistic flair its a matter of tapping into that talent and pursuing it . If you try to construct as you go you end up with a mess and that's a heck of a waste of time and materials . I could build a house without a plan , but a plan make it so much easier . I have a plan for a finished Bonsai but i don't have many finished bonsai , i have hundreds of trainers .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi VS , Mate i can never find the right rock for any landscape , if i do its well out of my price range and lifting capacity .These rocks will weigh in at less than 1.5 - 2 kg , a natural rock of this size , the big tall one would be anywhere between 20-30 kg making a landscape of this size out of my league for the purpose of moving it let alone transporting it to shows or displays .

Cheers Alpine.
fiveoffive
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm / Pine /maple
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by fiveoffive »

MM looking good !!
I might have to ask Mr Alpine to make me some rocks :oops:

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”