landscape under construction

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: landscape under construction

Post by MattA »

Love puppies & the havoc the wreak...

Landscape is looking good mate, I am sure the rockwork will be even better now that Bear has had his input ;) :lol:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Wow look at the size of bears paws....he is a monster.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi MattA , Mate he is a walking, running, jumping disaster from sunrise to sunset .

Hi VS , his got a big set of boots , thats for sure . The vet says he will hit 35-40kg , which makes for 1 huge Border Collie . His father is 35 kg and Mother 22kg both have good B.C blood lines . He is 6 months old and weighs a healthy 22.5 kg , still a puppy , for another 18 months :whistle:

Cheers guys . Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

O.K , back to the rocks , this is the first of the colour/feature finish going on .
SANY0063.JPG
This , a day forecast for rain and possible snow i have slipped into the shed to continue the texture finishing coats after the dog played rough house with larger rocks . With the repairs done its slow it will be a steady pace to get the colours to blend and flow for the finish i'm looking for .
SANY0064.JPG
The 5 rocks will have 3 different colour outcomes representing 3 different landscapes or Penjing . Sonic 976 has been pretty slack and has left me to continue his rock and well that little Cresent pot under construction floating around in the middle of the work trolley is another project for the young fella . I accidentally on purpose :oops: used a juniper he got from Shibui Nursery for a layered big juniper , and he let me know :whistle: , he distinctly wanted that particular one for a cascade . I will replace it on my next visit to Yackadanda or the A/W Club Meeting , in the mean time i have offered to help make a pot with him . I'll get the whip out this weekend and get him cracking on it , after he gets his act together and re-pots his tree's , i think he expects me to do it .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Alpine, this is a very educational thread and I can't wait to see them finished!
Glad you fixed the damage Bear did...he does look rather guilty in his last pic.
"Accidently on purpose"...classic! :lol: I will have to remember that one :tu2:
Come on sonic976 get repotting, you have some ripper trees!
Cheers, Dario.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Dario , mate it was accidentally done . I re-potted them into 6 inch pots then couldn't remember which was which so i just stuck the tag in one that looked good to me for a cascade , turns out i was wrong :palm: .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well i took the rest of the day off as a man of leisure and ripped into all the rocks .
SANY0066.JPG
SANY0067.JPG
SANY0069.JPG
SANY0072.JPG
SANY0073.JPG
SANY0074.JPG
SANY0075.JPG
SANY0076.JPG
SANY0077.JPG
SANY0078.JPG
These will need a few days to dry and cure again then i will re-asses them for the final touch ups and a couple of waterproofing coats . Well after 8 hours of leisure i guess i had better find some mischief to get into .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

So i had some spare time after re-potting a few pines , digging some big elm trunks out and potting up . So i thought i would hook into the "Black Mountain"
SANY0012.JPG
and the tray on which it will reside .
SANY0013.JPG
I'm not sure about making the tray into a humidity tray or leave it as a flat landscape tray .Carving 3mm - 5mm out of the middle would be a mammoth task and reduce the overall strength of the tray . It will definitly take 2 men to lift it so the possibility of snapping a thinner tray is definitely on the cards Unfortunately it will weigh in access of 30 kg fully landscaped completed . Either way its progressing well . The final colour/textured finish is done now all i need is another sealer coat or two and its ready for the landscaping exercise .

Cheers Alpineart
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well after a weekend of hard yakka sorting tray loads of tree's out , re-potting , and slowly renovating i have taken a well earned break and decided to landscape "The Black Mountain" . In keeping with the Aussie theme i have used Australian Natives
SANY0034.JPG
to finally put it all together . After 5 hours of careful planing and positioning
SANY0035.JPG
all the natives are set for the future .
SANY0036.JPG
They had a quick trim , nothing major yet,
SANY0037.JPG
but give them a few weeks and i will re-visit it and wire and re-trim all the plants .
SANY0039.JPG
All in all this has been a great project , total time spent on constructing this was around 55 hours from start to finish . Now for the next one , something a little different but not of the Native type .

Cheers Alpineart
Last edited by alpineart on September 17th, 2012, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This is another rock ,
SANY0021.JPG
inspired and motivated by Fiveoffive to create a Bali rock landscape from a pic he sent me
SANY0022.JPG
i don't have his permission to uplaod the original pic or the know how .I threw this together as an experiment to try another method of creating a natural looking volcanic /coastal looking rock .
SANY0023.JPG
certainly like the way this particular rock has turned out , The 300mm black pots give an indication as to the size of the rock
SANY0024.JPG
My plan is to try a few more along this type of design and finish . At the moment its undecided who is going to landscape it "Fiveoffive" or "Myself :whistle: .

Cheers Alpineart
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

Those all look absolutely stunning. Inspiring work. :tu2: :tu2: :tu2: :tu: :tu: :tu: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done, 55 hours work paying off big time.

-Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi MoGanic , now all i have to do is keep them growing and keep them flowing . Way too many half projects going on . Thanks for the feedback .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well after all the effort to set up Black Mountain only 3 plants survived , but the 3 that did thrived on neglect
P1120485.JPG
P1120482.JPG
P1120483.JPG
P1120484.JPG
. These haven't been wired and I don't plan on doing so , they get a 30 second trim with scissors now and again , thats maybe 2-3 times a year :oops: Natural Aussie Alpineart Style :whistle: :palm: .

Cheers . Alpineart
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

That looks really natural. The trees that have survived are looking good. Too many trees may have made it look too contrived? For a Aussie landscape this seems just right :imo:
You obviously couldn't have done without Bears help :lol:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi KIRKY ,heat was the main issue here and that sorted the men from the boys . Unfortunately the 1100mm poly marble slab is just too heavy now , I'm thinking of cutting it into a 2 piece unit or 2 separate trays .Less is more in this case with both tree's and slabs :yes: .

Cheers . Alpineart

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”