Progression - Ulmus Procera want more roots...

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Progression - Ulmus Procera want more roots...

Post by Boics »

I've had this tree for quite some time - actually around 10 - 15 years (believe it or not!).
As I learn more I realise that a lack of knowledge, sun, and eagerness to prune, play and cut has done my tree's no favours over time..

Nevertheless this big guy (the canopy is out of proportion) is still alive after all this time and I wish for some advise..
With reference to the pictures I grew this over a rock many years ago and managed to get it to take in this place but unfortunately (probably due to aforementioned reasons) took a few root casualties over time..
So looking at it now I really do wish this tree had a bit more of a "clasp" upon the rock and really didn't think this could be developed..
After extensive reading I am led to believe that maybe this can be achieved with a bit of propogatory technique?

I actually released what appears to be a live root from the front and have let this hang over the back where I want it to grow and go..

You will note this in the later pics.

My question being how exactly do I achieve this outcome? :lost:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Boics on October 4th, 2012, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Progression - Ulmus Procera want more roots...

Post by squizzy »

Boics,

I am no expert on root over rock techniques but what I beleive you should do if you wish to acheive these roots is the following.

Make a few small incisions in the areas you wish th roots to come from and paint on some rooting gel.

Re plant the entire plant and rock back under soil. In my opinion you will not get roots to just break out at these points unless you planted it back under ground. Your roots as they are existing have become trunk really so the will not send roots out at that point.

Leave it for a year or two.

Gradually unearth the root zone so that you are exposing a bit of the root system at a time. This might be done over a few years as well.

Hope this helps.

Squizz
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Boics,
i see 2 possibilities:
1- Approach graft new roots. This would be quickest but has the possibility of leaving scars at the junction in the short to medium term. Try searching approach graft in the search button top right and see what cones up???

2- Use the method suggested by squizzy to generate new roots from the existing trunk. Englist elm should respond to this readily. When roots have initiated I would recommend the alfoil technique outlined in my blog - http://shibuibonsai.com.au/growing-root ... ck-bonsai/ which gives far better rock clasping roots than any other I have seen used.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

Thanks so much for the great replies.
The approach graft reading has been most fascinating and had not been a method I had even though of!

These two threads will compliment this topic.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12927&p=135730&hili ... ft#p135730
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12263&p=128669&hili ... ft#p128669

Not in any position to "jump into things" as I have aged I've managed to temper my enthusiasm a little...!
However considering the size of this particular tree a few air layers for approach stock would be pretty cool..

In the meantime I might try my luck with the alternative method (2) and see If I can set the tree up to strike some action...
I'll mull over the two options and update on how things go and welcome any additional feedback anyone has to offer!

Cheers,

P.S. Shibui that link to your root over rock method was awesome - thanks.
Last edited by Boics on October 4th, 2012, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

Greetings all...

Update here..

I got around to dropping this guy (rock and all) in a larger growing pot a month or so ago..
I followed Squizzy and Shibui's instructions which included making incisions, hormone treatment and exposing cambium to promote desired roots!

I'll carefully check this out in a year or so and then add foil to make this really stick to the rock like I plan..
In the meantime I'll look to get a few cuttings going from the extra lengthy canopy..
Fingers crossed!

Next update in 10 months!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

Hope to get a picture soon although not much has changed.
I've just let this tree grow and grow.
Before bud burst I had a look and was pleasantly surprised with the progress of a few good and usable new roots from desirable locations.
As per shibui's advise I added foil to improve clasping to the rock and will let grow for another full growing season I think.
(Meaning this year and next year).
After this I intend to chop back and start working on the style if this tree.
Last edited by Boics on December 10th, 2013, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

So here is a picture of the tree in it's developmental pot.
Still powering along and actually starting to show some signs of more mature bark.

Amazing that this tree is some 15+ years old and physically looks like it's 3 at best.
Shows what happens if you keep fussing, cutting an playing with tree's rather than letting them grow!

Anyway starting to move along now and look forward to next season where I will start the re-emerging process.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

Update.

Had a tiny little dig under the surface and it would appear that the desired result of more roots from the top part of the root ball is happening. Some are actually quite big in size already and some have actually broken beyond and gone above the foil wrap that I put on over 3 months ago now. These are now roaming free and no-where near the rock.

Question.

* Can I wait until winter when all the leaves have dropped and carefully bare root this tree?

My thought is that I will use this opportunity to once again arrange the roots, re-wrap with foil and leave to start the emerging process as the next growing season takes place in spring this year?

It won't be a re-pot as such it will be a re-arrange...

Cheers.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Hi Boics, it is an E.E and you can pretty much do what you like to the roots to develop them. I am wondering about the foil though and i think you would be better off wrapping the arrangement together with something porous, say twine or raffia. you can leave it on longer and the roots can breathe better etc. Just a thought. Not taking away from Shibui's suggestion, just another way to go.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

Just an update on this one...

It has been most successful and despite the photo's not being the greatest reflection I hope it gives an idea of how many more solid roots I now have. I have really achieved the desired result and the tree is now not only thicker but has heaps more roots with many in just the right places! My plan is to now wait a month before taking the tree out of this grow pot and having a good look at what is going on.
Due to some crossing and potentially ugly roots I will likely cull a few, direct a few others before repotting.

Next spring I will likely let the tree grow out until all the foliage has hardened off.
Then I will consider cutting off all branches to start building my tree...
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

This is a very hardy species and can be very forgiving when it comes to rough work. If you now have roots in the right places, I'd dig a hole in a sunny spot and put it in the ground. Let it grow and grow and grows. This will ensure that those roots expand around the rock and give them that beautiful melty look we see when roots adhere to rocks. Once you've got the clasp you want, the hard part is over

Adam

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”