Phoenix Graft Shimpaku

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Phoenix Graft Shimpaku

Post by alpineart »

Well i had to use up one of the numerous trunks that died and this is how it goes , some live some died , this one has been reborn
100_0370.jpg
Removing the bark from a dead juniper is a task and a half in itself
100_0373.jpg
After 8 hours with a pressure washer and some steaming during the lunch break most of the bark was removed
100_0389.jpg
Another days works on the jin pliers
100_0398.jpg
and the mini die grinder and its ready for the lime sulfur.After it was painted and allowed to dry
100_0402.jpg
i washed it down with the hose to remove the excess and to prevent it from leaching into the bonsai blend .
100_0396.jpg
This Shimpaku came into my possession recently and the moment i spotted it i knew what the project would be .I checked the trunk with the movement of the juniper and made the necessary adjustments to fit the base into the stump . After man handling the dead wood stump residual sulfur was still present so it was out with the pressure washer and blast the living daylights out of it . While it was drying i se up the pot and plant in the required position
100_0406.jpg
100_0405.jpg
100_0407.jpg
Considering the combined weight of the new trainer i decided i had better place it on the bench and work from there , save moving it after it was completed
100_0408.jpg
i potted the juniper then added the stump
100_0411.jpg
I have placed a few wires around the trunk and branches for a basic idea .
100_0415.jpg
The trunk being too thick to bend was split with the trunk splitters and will be manipulated over time
100_0412.jpg
100_0416.jpg
100_0417.jpg
Well its half way there and over the next week or so i will add 2 more smaller Shimpaku Junipers to the setting then then give the whole combination and pre-style and shape for the future . This is a far cry from my first attempt quite a few years ago , but experience is only gained over time . With basic material , average things can be done as in my first few attempts , with better quality material , greater things can be achieved and that applies to any type of Bonsai .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpineart on January 27th, 2013, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Re: Phoenix Graft Shimpaku

Post by PeterH »

Hi alpineart,

Interesting project. Do you seal the base of the piece of timber. Why I ask, is that in the past I have not done this, which then resulted in the timber rotting destroying the Bonsai. Another technique was the use of stainless steel screws which caused lumps on the trunk over time.

Looking forward to seeing your final design.

Regards,

Peter
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Lovely Stump there Alpine.
This will make great use of it and shoudl look awesome :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Agreed, great use of a dead stump and a great stump it is. Your a bit like the universe Alpine, waste nothing :tu:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

PeterH wrote:Hi alpineart,

Interesting project. Do you seal the base of the piece of timber. Why I ask, is that in the past I have not done this, which then resulted in the timber rotting destroying the Bonsai. Another technique was the use of stainless steel screws which caused lumps on the trunk over time.

Looking forward to seeing your final design.

Regards,

Peter
Hi Peter , the base has been treated with lime sulfur, it will get injected with wood hardener at a later stage . The Trunk base actually sits higher than the root mass of the juniper with a layer of scoria between the roots and base so it is somewhat protected from direct/constant moisture contact as apposed to sitting it lower into the soil .

I use screws in various situations to do the job required . If the branch is too thin , then 2 screws either side is preferred to hold them into the purpose carved groove .
100_0418.jpg
100_0419.jpg
Over time the trunk or branch will thicken enough to hold the limb into the groove . When the branch or trunk begins to swell , back the screws out just to prevent the head of the screw from splitting the trunk and causing the unsightly bulge , when embedded into the groove the screws can be completely removed .

I haven't carved the grooves as the branches need splitting with the trunk splitters to aid the bends required , then positioned in the final position . This has just been wired for a basic design . Nothing is permanent until the trunk and branches are manipulated then the dead wood grooved out . Long way to go yet just a trainer in progress.

Cheers Alpine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi kc , mate to collect a dead stump like this would never be possible or be it highly unlikely . Give it a bit of time and a lot more effort it will be a very nice piece .

Hi Bodhi , trunks like this are to kill for . Pity i killed the tree's , well they died anyway . No good taking this type of material to the tip . I have 5 others that didn't make it so there is bound to be quite a few Phoenix Grafts happening around here as the live material required to do them justice is located . There has been enough wasted material around here over the last 15 months due to the circumstances , time to salvage some of it .

Cheers Guys . Alpine
Nathan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer, Bonsai Society of Queensland

Post by Nathan »

Hi Alpine,

This will develop into a beautiful tree, it is great use of a awesome stump.

Great thinking to complete the project at the bench to save your back when completed

Did you soak the stump in lime sulphur or paint it on?

I have a small sand blaster that I purchased from super cheap cost me $30 and I use we'll dried sandpit sand to to remove the bulk of the bark from stumps, before using the demel to finish them off, it's messy so I do it down the back but sure speeds up the process

Can't wait to see the progression of what will be a beautiful tree

Cheers
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Nathan , mate it should come up a treat . I have considered using a sand blaster , as it would do the job a lot quicker , alas i don't have one . Next time i will throw the trunks in the river for a day or two to soften the bark , then blast the bark off them . After setting the pot up with the plant in it i realized the weight issue so it was onto the display stand and that's where it will remain . The L.S was painted on with a fine brush , does flow too well . Its a long term project but i will update as it progresses.

Cheers Alpine
Last edited by alpineart on January 27th, 2013, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

I managed to work this over for the final time and embed the juniper into the deadwood . Using the mini die grinder i grooved the deadwood and fitted the juniper into the groove and fastened with screws . This has then been wired and pre styled into the current design .I'm re-thinking adding another couple of younger plants , time will tell if or when they are added .
100_0497.jpg
100_0498.jpg
100_0499.jpg
100_0496.jpg
I'm certainly stoked with the result achieved here with this one .

Cheers Alpineart
Nathan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Club: Bimer, Bonsai Society of Queensland

Post by Nathan »

Hi Alpine,

It looks brilliant

I can't wait to see it progress

What cutter/bit do you use with your die grinder
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Nathan , thanks for the great comment , it looks the ducks nuts in the flesh , I'm still a lousy photographer , can't be good at everything .

In the case of cutters i use high speed steel for the mini carver and tungsten tipped for the router/big die grinder . High speed steel cutters are available in a set but i prefer the small wheels 6mm and 8 mm ,they are too fine for big curving so i take to them with the angle grinder and a stainless steel disc and cut a couple of grooves for teeth like a saw blade into them . Cheap as chips to buy but I'm still on the first cutter . Not bad for a $3 investment . A 1/8 pop rivet drill bit makes for a good carving tool as well , you can grind a different profile on each end , being double ended drill bits .Even a snapped drill bit will do a great job in a dremel type mini die grinder .

High speed steel in no good for carving hebel panel /aerated concrete from which i make my rocks and pot rocks out of , they wear very quickly , for that i used tungsten tipped router bits and I'm still on the first one of those after carving four very large rocks and its as sharp as the day i purchased it even after hitting the reo in the panels . For carving wood i use the various profiled tungsten bits in the router /come die grinder , high speed steel burns instead of carving as they too have fine teeth , i will hit them with the angle grinder for some serious cutting teeth . The most used tungsten router bit profiles are spoon bit , vee bit and 8mm slot /groove cutter .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This was way too heavy for an old fella like me so i slipped it into a smaller pot .
P1090416.JPG
P1090413.JPG
P1090414.JPG
P1090415.JPG
Its still a 1 1/2 man tree but it can be moved a little easier .I have changed the front of the tree so the base of the juniper can be seen . It can grow on for another season then styled to suit the stump , if i can keep my cotton picken finger off it . I do have a very leggy Shimp here and have contemplated attaching it to the trunk in order to add a bit more live vien to the dead wood

Cheers . Alpineart
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This has developed quite well over the last couple of seasons . I took this to the club meeting last month and put a few wires on it to get the movement required to simulate the movement of the deadwood .
P1100729.JPG
P1100730.JPG
It hasn't been trimmed at this stage and won't be until next year . I plan to add another small plant or two to create the extra live veins required for the final design .

Cheers Alpineart
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Gee that's coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing it styled.

Josh
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Josh , it has grown very well , another footy season ,a few more zigs and a couple of zags and it will be time for a style .

Cheers Alpine

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”