Ficus Rubiginosa Shohin broom

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
The Munt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus Procumbens
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Re: Ficus Rubiginosa Shohin broom

Post by The Munt »

melbrackstone wrote:I saw Ryan Neil used long strands of wet sphagnum instead of muck in his latest slab planting.... says it doesn't crack like the clay in muck, and does everything else better than muck. He ties some wire around it initially to help it settle, but once his moss has grown, the wire can come off...
Awesome thanks :cool:
It’s all about the new experience!
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

wow, little ramification, no drama, plant placed at same angle as so called rock face, leaf size compared to so called tree size, companion plant taller, distance apart with no depth, placed at same height, placed against a wall with no character. Where does your eye take you? To the companion. Wow :|
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

no idea wrote:wow, little ramification, no drama, plant placed at same angle as so called rock face, leaf size compared to so called tree size, companion plant taller, distance apart with no depth, placed at same height, placed against a wall with no character. Where does your eye take you? To the companion. Wow :|
Wow - little ramification? I actually thought the ramification here was pretty good?
Possibly even "Bow Chicka Wow Wow" good. :D
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: CCBC, CBS, VNBC, BSST

Post by hugh grant »

The Munt wrote:
hugh grant wrote:I didnt think of it before but this tree would have been a good candidate for the Australian native competition! oh well next year!

Anyway this tree is due for an update, its changed a far amount in the year.

The work done here in this update was done exactly 1 year ago in March 2014. It was done in preparation for the Central Coast bonsai exhibition in which was to be the very next day after it was planted on the stone!
details in the photos....
IMG_0689 copy.jpg
IMG_0690 copy.jpg
IMG_0693 copy.jpg
IMG_0707 copy.jpg
IMG_0708 copy.jpg
IMG_0718 copy.jpg
IMG_0719 copy.jpg

That’s a great looking bonsai, may I ask what is in your muck and substrate? Do you use a totally different mix for sticking a bonsai to a rock? Total newb here but i’d Like to give it a go one day. :yes:
Hi mate
Long one since I’ve updated his post !!

My answer is much like Mel’s just before. Yeah so I pot in stone using my usual substrate, higher water holding mix of course. And build walls for holding the soil back with lightly shredded soag moss and substrate, layering it. So I’ll Ann some spag then sprinkle substrate in it then spag, substrate, etc. really good way of maintaining oxygen flow through the root and soil mass and you don’t have issues with clay or Keto which will expand and retract with drying and moistening. Creates a much more sustainable surface.
Tree Makers Making Australian Bonsai
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW
https://www.treemakers.net/

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/treemakersbonsai
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tree_makers/
E: Hughgrant@treemakers.net

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”