Crataegus laevigata.."Pauls scarlett semi cascade.

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Crataegus laevigata.."Pauls scarlett semi cascade.

Post by bodhidharma »

I have had this as a donor tree for a while now as i tried layers, cuttings etc off it with not a lot of success. I have a layer off it that might go and have given a couple away. On the layering process, Hawthorns develop a bulbous node where the roots should be, which keeps it alive. I have kept the layers alive for two years now . I feed them seasol and an organic mix to see if i can develop a root system on them. I have flowers on them this year so decided to go ahead and develop the Mother tree into a Bonsai. It is not much at the moment but i believe the tree will be a stunner in another few years. i just wanted to share its humble beginning and its story.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bodhidharma on October 22nd, 2013, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Crataegus laevigata.."Pauls scarlett semi cascade.

Post by NathanM »

Is that really the same tree?!?!?! Looks great man :D
I really quite like it, good work!! You really do have a good eye, Bodhi :)
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

NathanM wrote:Is that really the same tree?!?!?! Looks great man
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6524&p=74642&hili ... orn#p74642

Sorry to confuse you Nathan, the top photo is the layer off this tree. See above for the beginnings of this tree. I have only just remembered its posting :palm: Senior moment.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

I also have flowers on the cutting I got from you
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thank you for posting. I love the red (pink) flowering Hawthorn and I agree with you that they are more prolific with their flowering.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

The tree is in full flower and i cant wait for this guy to develop. I think this will be in "my not for sale" category.Looking forward to berry's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Steve B »

she's as purrty as a picture! :tu: :tu:
(that's my attempt at a southern American drawl - bad as it is, it's better than hearing me try it live)

Well if it's in the not for sale section I guess I'm lining up for a cutting then. OK, and some more space to hold all the new bonsai projects I've been committing myself to over spring..... :palm:
Last edited by Steve B on October 24th, 2013, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

Steve B wrote:she's as purrty as a picture! :tu: :tu:
(that's my attempt at a southern American drawl - bad as it is it's better than hearing it live believe me)
I lived down in the southern US for a few years Steve, it can be pretty hard to listen to. :lol:

Very nice tree as always bodhi, look forward to seeing it settle in over the next few years. Yet another on the list of species I'd like to work with. Give it a few years and I'll have to open a nursery of my own. :palm:
Cheers, Karl
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia

Post by Rory »

:shock: Absolutely beautiful. Beautiful.

Love the bark, love the flowers, love the foliage, love just about everything...except. The only thing I don't like about it, is the trunk seems to stay thick for quite a way along the trunk. It is just my opinion, but I think it would look stunning being cut back, but then you would get scaring, so I guess I can't comment. It just appears unnaturally too thick for too long. Anyway, it is just an opinion, but wow, I love this tree. Very very nice mate, works very nice in that pot too. :clap:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Bodhi, looking good!
There is a mature hawthorn in my area that has the same leaf shape and the flowers also look a match for colour and shape as yours. I did notice that it does not have any thorns on it, and after researching found out that not all hawthorns have thorns.
Does your tree have thorns Bodhi? Also looking at the base, is yours grafted?
I have been thinking about trying cuttings for future minis etc, but after researching I have read hawthorns can be tricky from cuttings. I will try regardless but I was wondering if any of the cuttings you tried were successful? If so, did you do anything special re heat matt, misting etc?
Cheers, Dario.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi everyone,
If there is any doubt about cuttings, would it not be worth doing some air layers? Have any of you tried layering, and if so, what was the success rate? By the way Bodhi the tree is starting to look very good. :tu:

Regards Ray
Last edited by Ray M on October 25th, 2013, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi Ray
I've tried twice to layer my neighbors pauls scarlett without success , both times it callust over but then late summer they died. Not sure if i did something wrong :lost: , having bought your book on maple layering :reading: i was thinking of trying that method with the muck around the cut and soaking the moss in seasol , will post what happens
regards
peterb
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus

Post by NathanM »

Haha, no need to apologise, Bodhi :) My apologies for the misunderstanding :P
Either way, treee is beautiful :D
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Nice little tree there. This must be the single most frustrating variety for me yet its probably my favorite flowering bonsai suject. Developing branches is such a pain. If I prune heavily or lightly the branch usually stops growing and reshoots from the base. If I pinch soft growth the same thing happens. Hard pruning only in winter dosen't work either. I found the only realistic way of propagating them is grafting. Layering and cuttings almost never work.
If though you happen to strike a cutting, you can grow the tree on and use it for taking root cutting which should work well.
I have a few nice grafts which have been field grown for a few years with good trunks, nebari etc, now someone tell me how to develop good branches PLEASE!! Maybe I should not prune and just wire down everything?
They have some superb examples in Japan. I just wish I knew how they got to that stage!
I read a Japanese article on this variety somewhere which said '' You will only develop branches on this tree with the passing of the years'' Whatever that means.
Mike
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

bonsaibuddyman wrote: The only thing I don't like about it, is the trunk seems to stay thick for quite a way along the trunk.
Being a grafted tree i dont have a choice and this was the only style that would alleviate the problem. But, trust me, when i get this tree to where i want it you will not notice.
Dario wrote:Does your tree have thorns Bodhi? Also looking at the base, is yours grafted?
Hi Dario, no, no thorns and yes, a grafted tree. It makes for a hardier tree.
Ray M wrote:If there is any doubt about cuttings, would it not be worth doing some air layers? Have any of you tried layering,
Hi Ray, the top photo is a layer but very difficult to do and this one has been separated for three years and, i think, is going to survive. I have bought some super dooper root stimulant which i will talk about later.
treeman wrote: now someone tell me how to develop good branches PLEASE!! Maybe I should not prune and just wire down everything?
Yep, the only way to develop branching is to wire everything, even branches you dont think you need. make selections later down the track. Secondarys and tertiary's, even if they are not in the right place, have to be maneuvered into position, i tried clip and grow with no success.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”