old olive progression.

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: old olive progression.

Post by Sammy D »

Just a bit of an update. Thought i would repot my old girl as lately it would put on new growth then die back a little. Then repeat its cycle again. Thinking it needed a repot as it was still in the original mix it came in. After washing of the dirt i can now see why it was in the deep pot. There was a bigger stump down deep. To put it into a shallower pot it def needed a big cut. I didnt want to but was left with no choice unless i always want it in a deep pot. Olives are normally bullet proof but an old girl like this i believe they can be a bit more temperamental. I will be sweating it off for the next couple of months as to its health :fc: probably chopped nearly half the root off to get it into a pot :palm:
PicsPlay_1436101412018.jpg
PicsPlay_1436101395760.jpg
PicsPlay_1436101375790.jpg
PicsPlay_1436101356400.jpg
PicsPlay_1436101337176.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Looking good sammy. I haven't grown Olives myself but I know guys chop the bottom flat leaving no roots and they grow so it should be fine.

Did you consider planting it leaning to the left? It looks dead straight coming out of the pot with branches going down on the right and up on the left. A slight lean of about 10 deg would balance it nicely I think.
PicsPlay_1436101337176.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Yeh due to the root system on the back right it is difficult. After it gets astablished in this pot will be tilting it left in time. Will just let it grow for another year before any other work.
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Please tell me you planted that stump as well!!!
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Andrew F wrote:Please tell me you planted that stump as well!!!
:shock:
...How much abuse can olives take...? Are they similar to figs?
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

They definitely are very tough. You can chainsaw an olive stump out without even lifting a shovel. No roots and not top then plant it like an oversized cutting and away it goes. No air layering required with these guys ha ha. All the same though im a bit worried about an old soul like this one.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

A great progression Sammy! Decent looking carving too. :cool:

So, question is ....... That trunk tells a story of an old tree that's been hammered. What story will the branches tell and how will they work together? :whistle:

PS: always nice when someone saves a dog and turns it into something decent! :tounge: to the original seller!
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Should change the title of this one to LIVING ON THE EDGE. After cutting the best part of the roots off this poor old girl almost had enough and died. She sulked for a bit then proceeded to drop off most of the foliage. All the older leaves fell and all the growing tips died back. I thought for sure she was on he final death roll. The dieing back finally slowed, then it sat there with no sign of growth for almost two months. All my other olives are growing strong so i was very worried for the tree. In the last 3 days finally it has some green buds pushing out. So for now i think it lives on. This is the 3rd time it has gone into a death roll in only 5 years :-(. I better let it rest and recover for a full growing season before any more stress. For me or the plant ha ha.
PicsPlay_1449437070172.jpg
PicsPlay_1449437086568.jpg
PicsPlay_1449437126761.jpg
dennismc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives, JBP, Cfrepe Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 40
Bonsai Club: Teacher, School of Bonsai

Post by dennismc »

Sammy

Great Work so far.

The African olive developed on the limestone coasts of South Africa, thus they respond well to regular applications of garden lime. Apply it twice a year. A good time is the start of summer and again at the end of summer. Almost always this will solve the problem of lack of foliage developing as mentioned in your last post. How much to use is determined by the size of the pot. Typically in an average sized pot one to two tablespoons in each dose immediately and gently washed in is sufficient.

Dennis Mc
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Well done Sammy. By taking a risk and fixing the root problem early you now have a great frame to build on. I really like the carving, you took average material and put your own stamp on it.
Regarding the advice from Dennis - the wild olives growing around Adelaide are usually hybrids of African and European varieties and have adapted to the local soils which are usually fairly alkaline, so a little lime can be helpful. Remember though that Adelaide water is also alkaline so do a pH test so you know how much to add.

Also, check out this article on a Spanish olive to get some inspiration on wiring and what can be done.

http://ofbonsai.org/galleries/progressi ... mification

Matt.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Im gonna have to try lime on my South oz olives, they just dont seem to do as well as the ones Ive dug locally.

Im glad this old girl pulled thru though :aussie:
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Thanks guys for your nice posts. Love the olive watto in your link. Awsome in no time at all. Hope mine will get going quickly one day. Atm. Very slow growth. My other olives grow massively every year. Needing attention almost every month. This old girl though wants to take it slow.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

It put on some good growth after repot so i now feel confident for a major cut back again. Here it is.
20160730_120336-2050x2850.jpg
my hope now is that it will put on stronger growth with better branch structure and ramification. Not the leggy growth that it has had in the past.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Growth still weak and slow but alive all the same. Probably looked better 2 years go :palm: :palm:

:fc: things improve next year
20170204_144029-2016x1512.jpg

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”