junipers under construction

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

junipers under construction

Post by wattynine »

With the lack of quality stock to work on available in NQ, I started about three years ago working on some trees as LONGTERM projects.
They were all purchased as seedling stock so I could try some things with them
This is where they are today
Juniper Chinensis
This one is under trial of fusing branches together, the long term plan, if it should play out is to have a dead wood branch twisting around a live one creating what I hope is a jin effect, won't know till I try, we'll see it about ten years time.
CIMG3984.JPG
same species but have cut a shari into both sides hoping to get a live vein effect again in about ten years time
CIMG3985.JPG
Juniper Squamata

These again bout about three years ago as seedling stock, potted up twice and only worked on in the last 18 months with a shari creation from trunk to primary branch tips. The trunks on these are starting to look like something to get excited about. Again though looking for these to be ten year plus projects, have had to clean back the shari three times in the 18 months
CIMG3986.JPG
CIMG3987.JPG
CIMG3988.JPG
CIMG3989.JPG
CIMG3990.JPG
CIMG3991.JPG
and its offsider
CIMG3992.JPG
CIMG3993.JPG
CIMG3994.JPG
CIMG3995.JPG
so now back to the junk pile for you nguys, see ya' in ten years
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jedo_03
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus Sp.
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: junipers under construction

Post by Jedo_03 »

Thanks for posting Watty... or Mr Nine if you prefer...
I'm glad you posted these pics and info because I'm danged if I can my head and eyes around a J, chinensis bought from a local nursey...
It was a large bushy bush when I bought it 3ft tall x 3 ft wide - very cheaply - and had been standing in the same spot in the nursery for years and years. It was actually tied to a fence post to keep it upright and prevent it from falling over (top heavy). The nurseryman said it had been there for as long as he could remember - and no, had probably never even seen fertiliser...
Your pics have given me some direction to go in...
I will start by lopping off the long curving leader branch (almost 3 ft long itself)...
Thanks again
Last edited by Jedo_03 on December 21st, 2014, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Re: junipers under construction

Post by wattynine »

Jedo, no problems, happy to help even in my early days, love for you to pst a picture, any chance, love to see before and afters,
Watty
Last edited by wattynine on December 22nd, 2014, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”