Swamp Cypress - Breaking some rules

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Swamp Cypress - Breaking some rules

Post by wattynine »

I think we have all seen the majestic formal uprights that a good swampy can make. I certainly have seen a lot and it is difficult to get a good majestic formal upright that works well. So I haven't........ in my viewing of re-potting swampies and seeing how flexible they are in their young growth, how such a fantastic root was going to waste all under the ground, I started to formulate that more could be done with them.
This of course all began when the realization of NIL good starter stock would and will be available to me in NQ, so I began my own.
Anyhow, couple of years ago began the trial with this one, not sure if I am doing the right this but the plant certainly has accepted its new role and although only two years old I can picture this in about 5 years or so being a majestic twisted, mountainous, weathered old tree...........unless I have killed it yesterday, or sometime in the future, lets hope not.

This 2was grown as a root over rock first of all, something I have not seen in a swampie, as I turned down the first primary branch below the horizontal it straight away began to weaken and threw out another shoot which became the dominant, so I turned that one down as well, it seemed to accept its fate and the twisting began, my future intention will be to further the height with rocks and cover that with the roots that are now in the bottom water- medium tray.

tell me what you think
CIMG4179.JPG
CIMG4180.JPG
CIMG4181.JPG
CIMG4182.JPG
CIMG4183.JPG
and adding some shari, in the hope I can emulate the "live vein" of an old juni (?)
CIMG4184.JPG
CIMG4185.JPG
CIMG4186.JPG
CIMG4187.JPG
CIMG4188.JPG
CIMG4190.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Swamp Cypress - Breaking some rules

Post by wattynine »

:bump:
Just an update, turned 90 degrees from photos 1 and 10 and now in a "swamp bucket", 20 ltr builders bucket from Bunnings filled with a scoria chunk mountain directly underneath and 10mm scoria to fill it. Yes its a bit heavy. I would think 2 years and I'll unearth it for what should be a great root over rock.
CIMG5464.JPG
Watty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wattynine on September 16th, 2015, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Interesting !!!!!!!!! , look forward to the next up-date Watty. Hope it powers on. Cheers John.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Yeah, the bonsai nursery on the central coast - Bonsai World - in Jilliby, only 1 hour from Sydney, (end shameless promotion for our local nursery)
has been experimenting with these too. They are quite malleable and adapt quite easily to any style, but personally it is not something which is growing on me. I still only prefer the look of their native style, but I :clap: anyone who tries their hand at new things.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Nice work :tu2:

I like how the Shari is developing too. Are you going to attack it/have you attacked it with lime sulphur to get that bleached look?
Last edited by Jarad on September 17th, 2015, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wattynine »

Annual update on a project.
The shari's had all but closed up so a pen knife and a steady hand.
The top is progressing nicely I see a few seasons to go yet but I may lift it in spring/summer next year and see what the roots are doing in relation with the four or five rocks of scoria underneath, then back in the swamp bucket for a few years.
thanks for lookin'
Watty

PS Apologies Jarad, this one just slipped into obscurity, please excuse my ignorance. No on this I didn't treat the deadwood with anything and haven't this time, just wanted to see what the wood would do, seems to be holding up nicely although I snapped the cascade deadwood as I bent it, no biggies. Thanks for your interest.
DSC01089.JPG
DSC01090.JPG
DSC01091.JPG
DSC01092.JPG
DSC01093.JPG
DSC01094.JPG
Ben Thomas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Ben Thomas »

Interesting indeed.
I picked up an interesting swampie yesterday from Ashly at bonsai world, Im searching for info on time of year to work on them. Like when to repot?

Ill post a pic soon.

Cheers Ben

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by beanwagon »

This thread makes me incredibly happy. I have had the exact same opinion about swampy's and have been looking a long time of examples of these grown as ROR. I finally got around to starting 3 of these the other day.
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by beanwagon »

Any updates?

Sorry to hijack your thread. Here are mine.
Screenshot_20180226-154754.jpg
Screenshot_20180226-154652.jpg
Last edited by beanwagon on February 26th, 2018, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

A swamp cypress growing from a rock? Why would a tree with such a heavily fluted base want to grasp?
Sorry I'm not convinced. There has gotta be better species to use if your showcasing a ROR :imo:
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by beanwagon »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:A swamp cypress growing from a rock? Why would a tree with such a heavily fluted base want to grasp?
Sorry I'm not convinced. There has gotta be better species to use if your showcasing a ROR :imo:

You ask why? I ask Why not?

Ofcourse there is always going to be something more suitable. Ultimately bonsai is about artistic expression. For me having not seen any examples (until this one) and only mainly styled upright i am extremely intrigued. I see arguments like "it doesnt grow like that in nature" which to me stifle creativity and ultimately hold the art back.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

beanwagon wrote: You ask why? I ask Why not?

Ofcourse there is always going to be something more suitable. Ultimately bonsai is about artistic expression. For me having not seen any examples (until this one) and only mainly styled upright i am extremely intrigued. I see arguments like "it doesnt grow like that in nature" which to me stifle creativity and ultimately hold the art back.
Well if it's an art project, then that changes everything - I say go for it :tu2:
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by beanwagon »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:

Well if it's an art project, then that changes everything - I say go for it :tu2:
Isn't all bonsai an art project if you break it down?
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

beanwagon wrote:
Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:

Isn't all bonsai an art project if you break it down?
Where's the popcorn emoji?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Any chance of an update on this one @Wattynine?

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”