Root-over-rock Port Jackson Fig

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Root-over-rock Port Jackson Fig

Post by wrcmad »

Hi all,

Did a bit of work on this tree lately and thought it was a good time to post recent progression.

I acquired this tree as Nesci tube stock around 1986 - a small seedling.
Inspired by the demos I had seen by the late Max Candy, I whacked this one over a rock, and nurtured it for a few years before it became somewhat neglected.
This year, around 28years later :shock: I thought I would give it a new lease of life. Better late than never :D .
It has now almost consumed the rock.

June 2014: A bit gangly, but trunk had potential.
jun2014y.jpg
July 2014: Gave it a trim ready for spring:
jul2014y.jpg
By November 2014, with lots of feeding, and lots of pinching, it was going gang-busters:
nov2014y.jpg
Jan 2015: this week, I gave it a defoliation and fine wiring. A couple of sacrifice branches left to thicken the lower back branch.
However, I am not quite sure about the apex? Cut it lower, or keep the height and grow the branches out to give a more rounded fig-like shape?
Every time I go trim it down, the apex and tree look much more in proportion than the photos show? It really looks OK until I see the photos? :lost:
Any ideas would be appreciated.
jan2015y.jpg
Also, the original rock it was placed on can just be seen between the roots:
jan2015y2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wrcmad on January 2nd, 2015, 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trident76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple, Ash, Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Re: Root-over-rock rock Port Jackson Fig

Post by trident76 »

Nice tree.
The small size is astonishing given its age.
My own root over rock figs are this size after only 2 to 3 years. Has yours been kept in the shade/not watered/fertilized etc?
After roughly 20 years of growing bonsai, I reckon I might just be starting to get the hang of it...
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Root-over-rock rock Port Jackson Fig

Post by wrcmad »

trident76 wrote:Nice tree.
The small size is astonishing given its age.
My own root over rock figs are this size after only 2 to 3 years. Has yours been kept in the shade/not watered/fertilized etc?
Hi trident76
This particular tree lived it's first 28 years in a 30cm pot, shade, not watered, not fertilised, pot only half full of soil, and repotted twice in that time. :palm:
It is enjoying it's new life!

Regards
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Root-over-rock Port Jackson Fig

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Good looking tree and very nicely proportioned and tapered.

Re the height, I have the same issue where I like the look in the flesh but question when seeing photos. I spend most of my time looking at them with my eyes rather than a lens, so am inclined to trust my eyes, but do still use the pics as a 'reality check'.

One suggestion - for my eyes the (I assume) aerial root coming off the first right branch and across the trunk is distracting. At least in the photos, it looks like you have wrapped the first right branch from somewhere at the back of the tree, across the trunk and out to the right. Cutting across the trunk like so, it breaks up the movement of your otherwise very nicely tapering trunk.

Something to think about, but a really good looking tree in general. All the best with branch development t.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Nice!
How about a pot to compliment this old girl?

P.s. Did you notice the little mushrooms in your final pic?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
pasquale
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by pasquale »

I agree with Nate. The apex looks right to me, it gives taper. I also find the wrapping aerial root distracting but it may have left an impression on the trunk, which could be just as distracting if the root is removed. I like the tree and am sure it will turn out well.
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

Hi, Really great balanced movement and excellent taper making the tree looks much larger than it actually is. I thought it was a fairly large bonsai until I saw the lighter.
I agree with comments so far regarding the aerial root at the base of the first branch. You could either separate and move it or remove it. The new aerial root crossing it might change all that though.
I look forward to seeing it develop - it wont be all that long before a pot and display. Ash
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wrcmad »

Thankyou all for your suggestions! They really were appreciated.
Sometimes you need confirmation of your own convictions. When a tree is doing well, it is often difficult to make bold moves that may slow it down. But in the end I think this tree will benefit from it. :)
Nate.bonsai wrote:One suggestion - for my eyes the (I assume) aerial root coming off the first right branch and across the trunk is distracting. At least in the photos, it looks like you have wrapped the first right branch from somewhere at the back of the tree, across the trunk and out to the right. Cutting across the trunk like so, it breaks up the movement of your otherwise very nicely tapering trunk.
pasquale wrote:I agree with Nate. The apex looks right to me, it gives taper. I also find the wrapping aerial root distracting but it may have left an impression on the trunk, which could be just as distracting if the root is removed. I like the tree and am sure it will turn out well.
Ash wrote:I agree with comments so far regarding the aerial root at the base of the first branch. You could either separate and move it or remove it. The new aerial root crossing it might change all that though.
I look forward to seeing it develop - it wont be all that long before a pot and display. Ash
You guys were right. I knew this was the tree's biggest flaw, but became a bit blinkered to it. So, aerial root gone. Luckily, it hadn't left an impression on the trunk - just a bit of discolouration which will fade with time. Thankyou for confirming that.
Boics wrote:Nice!
How about a pot to compliment this old girl?
Yes! I was in two minds about repotting as this tree had become so healthy and was taking leaps and bounds over the last 6 months. Sometimes I struggle to interrupt a good thing. However, not a bad time to repot after defoliation. And probably the best opportunity I'll get until next year. Bit the bullet, and luckily this tree had a very favourably shallow rootball which I didn't have to disturb too much. Also resulted in finding a bit more hidden nebari which is now exposed.
Had this pot in mind for a while. Some may lean towards a slightly wider, shallower pot, but I tend to take small steps... maybe next repot when I can work the rootball further. Any opinions would be appreciated. :?

Thanks again.
figjan14a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Wicked.

This is a great tree!

I too wasn't a fan of the wrapped root but suspected it couldn't be safely removed so chose not to mention it.
Very very pleased that it could come off so easily and readily with such minimal scarring.
Tree has benefited immensely.

I'm fond of the pot and don't think it's in any desperate need for anything shallower.

Very well done.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ash »

Hey that is a great improvement. Excellent tree and excellent pot combination. It really looks like quite a massive fig!
aaronwithana
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Homosapiens
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by aaronwithana »

The tree has become a little oversized for the rock.

it might be worth chiselling the rock away to create a hollow trunk.
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ash »

G'Day - I think the opposite about the rock - if it were chiselled out the fig would be standing on exposed roots and like too many fig bonsai it would look unstable. I think with the current course of time the rock will be slowly swallowed up by the roots and be a massive thick and nicely textured trunk. Ash
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

Good looking tree... And agree with ash.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wrcmad »

Update:

After 12 months of pinching in places and growing in other places, it was looking a bit scruffy:
update1.jpg
After defoliation:
update2.jpg
And a bit of a trim and wire:
update3.jpg
Now, as much as I have tried to work with it for the last 12 months, tried to improve, ignore, look at through rose coloured glasses..... there is a glaringly obvious flaw with this tree that I just can't get past- the first branch. :?
Once you photograph a tree, things become much clearer - this first branch is actually quite hideous.
There is a small twig hidden behind it that budded with last years defoliation, and I kept this bud there knowing that I may need it later. It was always in the back of my mind... no matter how hard I would try and look past it.
This year, there is also another bud just below the base of this branch. So..... I mulled it over for three days, before realising that this was a timely reminder of the importance of early correction/intervention in bonsai.....

wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wrcmad »

Yep, chopped it.
this will result in a much improved tree later on, but the procrastination of what I knew to be the right direction has cost me a year or two.
On the positive side, the wait has offered two possibilities for a replacement branch - I have circled the lower bud in the pic below.
I will wait a couple of months before choosing one to grow as the replacement branch, and growing a new bottom branch over the next 12-18 months will be the goal. :)
update4.jpg
Left side view:
update5.jpg
Last edited by wrcmad on December 15th, 2015, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”