Root-over-rock Port Jackson Fig

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Re: Root-over-rock Port Jackson Fig

Post by kvan64 »

Looking very good. I like the reduction of the wrong root and the wrong lower branch. Will be awesome one day with more ramifications.
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

Update -
The tree was planted back into a training pot in August 2016 to encourage the lowest branch to grow. Finally settled on the new bud circled in the previous post for the new lowest branch, as it was better positioned. That bud has developed well this year. Here is the tree after it's annual major service today - ramification is starting to get there.
The new branch was not defoliated to encourage a growth that is needed.
jan2017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wrcmad on January 16th, 2017, 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

A very nice Fig wrcmad,

Thanks for the update.

Kevin
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wrcmad »

Update -
Just bursting into life after it's annual defoliation and service a couple of weeks ago. Ramification increasing slowly but surely. New 1st branch continues to develop, and should catch up in regards to ramification in a year or two.
Finding an asymmetric direction to the right too - which it was missing a couple of years ago.
Cheers.
fig1Jan2018.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wrcmad on January 1st, 2018, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freckl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig, Maple, Prunus
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by Freckl »

Cracker fig, testament to your skills as a practitioner.
Last edited by Freckl on January 3rd, 2018, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Very well done WRC.
This is coming along fantastic and i really enjoy these threads which take us on a multi year journey.
Do yourself a favour and check out your humble beginnings.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wrcmad »

Update:

Four and half years since this one began, and finally in maintenance/refinement phase.
It went into a new pot this spring.
Here is an update pic after today's defoliation and tweaking.
Still a lot of wire - these branches seem to have a bit of a memory for UP! :shifty:
The new first branch is being cranked a little rear-wards to open up the view a little when the tree is flush with foliage.
PJfignov18.jpg
The scar left after the main branch removal 3 years ago is healing well, and the new replacement bottom branch is coming along - although it has a bit of catching up to do with regards to ramification.
PJfignov18b.jpg
Ramification is getting there, and I am quite happy with the progress of this tree. :)
PJfignov18c.jpg
Last edited by wrcmad on November 30th, 2018, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Very nice Indeed, good call on removing the lower branch and your ramification looks solid, great to see when trees are de-leafed and developed like yours, also look forward to seeing it suited up,.. thanks for showing.

cheers Anthony
mjhc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Japanese black pine
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: Bsv, bnw, vnbc

Post by mjhc »

Amazing work is such a short time (the years that you worked on it). Can I please ask you ramification technique/ conditions to create ramification like this? Cheers. Mike.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

:clap: :tu: :tu2: :worship: :clap:

Wow! What a progression! In a relatively short period after the first 28 years too; the tree seems to be loving you back even though you neglected it for 28 years! It clearly loves being looked after.

wrcmad - I reckon this progression is great to see - thanks for posting - you're a star! ;)
Last edited by MJL on December 1st, 2018, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wrcmad »

mjhc wrote:Amazing work is such a short time (the years that you worked on it). Can I please ask you ramification technique/ conditions to create ramification like this? Cheers. Mike.
Well, that made me think :lost: . I don't remember having been asked to specify my own technique before... and development of figs is not something you come across in the mainstream books or vids. But my technique is a mixture of my own experience and hints I've picked up from others over the years. Also, my location generously provides about a 9 month growing season per year, which I take full advantage of.

I suppose, briefly(?):

1. I have found a fiberous root system is imperative to development ramification up top. My experience is that it is true what they say about the roots reflecting the top of the tree. This tree's root system was developed very much in tandem with the ramification over the last 4-5 years. A lot of foliage requires a lot of roots to sustain if the tree is to stay healthy.

2. To develop the desired fiberous root system, I use a very loose and 'airy' soil composition - figs love it. My mix consists of about 1 part pumice, 1 part diatomite, and 1 part pine-bark nugget-containing potting mix. Debco Succulent mix used to be my go-to potting mix for this, but is no longer available in my part of the world. Searles Cymbidium & Bromelaid mix with the big chunks sieved out seems to be working OK for me now.

3. To develop quickly, feed them! I feed with generous serves of chook-poo pellet + blood and bone mixed 1:1 in tea bags to apply. As well, I supplement with osmocote. I even give them an occasional drink with powerfeed or miracle grow. I have had bad experiences with the chook-poo pellets applied directly to the soil and decomposing into a mush that affected the porosilty of the soil and hence the fiberous root system. In my case, the suffocation and die-back of the fiberous root system via this mess caused ramification (and even some branches) to die-back. So I always apply in teabags now, and have not had a problem.

4. To develop ramification, the tree needs to be very healthy. The above 3 items on this list should ensure health. Then it is a matter of letting shoots extend 4 buds, and cutting back to two. The resulting 4-5 flushes per growing season quickly grows ramification. However, this ramification needs maintenance - the dense growth will quickly shade out inner foliage or branches, so 1 or 2 thinnings per season is necessary to allow light through to all areas of the tree - I use partial defoliation of around 40-50% of the foliage, using a combination of leaf removal or leaf cutting, which also often promotes some nice back-budding.

5.While many advocate full defoliation of figs multiple times per year, I am not so keen on it. I have fould multiple defoliations drains the tree of health and energy. I defoliate a maximum of once per year (sometimes none per year) to maintain maximum strength. As can bee seen in my pics, I defoliate in December, and only ever to perform wiring and refinement work on the tree. This defoliation should also promote back-budding, providing shoots for future maintenance of branch structure.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by wrcmad on December 2nd, 2018, 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mjhc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Japanese black pine
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: Bsv, bnw, vnbc

Post by mjhc »

Thanks so much wrcmad. Thats an absolutely great break down. Looking forward to creating something like this now! Cheers. Mike
Stimson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Post by Stimson »

mjhc wrote:Thanks so much wrcmad. Thats an absolutely great break down. Looking forward to creating something like this now! Cheers. Mike
:yes:
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by DangerousDave »

wrcmad wrote:...and 1 part pine-bark nugget-containing potting mix. Debco Succulent mix used to be my go-to potting mix for this, but is no longer available in my part of the world. Searles Cymbidium & Bromelaid mix with the big chunks sieved out seems to be working OK for me now.
Great tree

..if you don’t mind me asking.. do you sieve the fines out of the potting mix too? What sort of particle sizes are we talking?

Thanks

Dave
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

ramification is outstanding, do you think you might have started it earlier than you would have liked? ie- branch thickness, movement? :tu: do you think cutting right back, even grafting down low the left?

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”