Olive on the burn pile

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

Olive on the burn pile

Post by Sammy D »

Hey all. Was driving along roughly a year ago on my way back from the beach and went past some trees that had been bull dozed into a pile on top of a hill. Upon closer inspection as you do :lol: found out the were olives. Out of about 5 two stumps caught my eye. The one pictured here and another that is still green but has not sprouted as yet :fc: . Its amazing that even this one has sprouted as when collected its old leaves were dried up and the stump was lying in the open. This one is basically a stump with only about a third left that is alive. Hard to see from the photos. Also in years to come will lift it up in the pot to make it looks more obvious. Anyway here it is.
PicsPlay_1434183127321.jpg
PicsPlay_1434183150650.jpg
PicsPlay_1434183171322.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Olive on the burn pile

Post by Watto »

Great find. I think this would/could look very dramatic if you were to cut those two long sticks and try to develop a canopy very close to the stump. Short, powerful and with lots of character.
Please keep us posted.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Been a while before the update on this. Its been slow as when it did reshoot it had sighns of round up damage on the new leaves. The other one of the two is still green but yet to shoot beleive it or not. So i am guessing they were sprayed before they were bulldozed to a pile.

I decided to do some carving on the stump today and get rid of some of the rotten wood. Had a lot of fun doing it. Much to the annoyance of the neighbours :lost: .

Here are some pics of the progress? I hope progress.
20170312_120835-1600x1200.jpg
20170312_120845-1600x1200.jpg
20170312_140144-1600x1200.jpg
20170312_140151-1600x1200.jpg
20170312_161717-1600x1200.jpg
20170312_161730-1600x1200.jpg
Feel free for advice. For now plan is to let it hopefully grow strong and fill in. I also will keep it compact for the future. Looks like a raw stock piece of poo for now but hey
Have to start somewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

Great job on the carving Sammy, I really like what you've done. Make sure you keep updating this one.

Re the scorching, will it fade over time or stay that dark?

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Going to be a really great tree in the not too distant future. :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Sammy, if you know Janet and Pauline, ask them about the olives they collected from the vineyards more than a few years ago. Tough little buggers those olives ;)
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I feel a bit responsible for this and so there is a relationship. Looks good and it a few years the foliage will fill out and you will have a very powerful and dramatic tree. Good work so far, but don't try to rush it. Fertilize well, it is the key to success.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sammy D »

Thanks watto and all else. Yes will let it grow and fill out (bit like me) ;) and yes Pearcy it will fade in time. Quite quick to start with.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”