Juniper needs styling

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
troy.walker1974

Juniper needs styling

Post by troy.walker1974 »

DSC_0156.JPG
I have had this junipzoom er about 10 years. After the first 3 of not much happening. I planted it in the ground. Potted it last year now I need somt ideas for shaping. Does anyone have any ideas of what it would look like? All opinions will be much appreciated

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Re: Juniper needs styling

Post by Andrew F »

Hmmm tricky due to all the lion's tailing going on with the branches [long bare branches with tufts of foliage at the end] I'd look at shortening the branches thru compaction or spaghetti style bonsai. But not till after the growing season, let it put on some more meat before doing anything to it.

The makings of a nice literati are there. HTH.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Juniper needs styling

Post by alpineart »

Hi Troy , mate plenty of empty space in there , not much going for it . A literati has been mentioned :yes: , if it was mine I would bend all the branches except a small apex , back down on itself and embed inach graft them back onto itself lower down to fill in the voids . It would take a few years to carry out but i love to 'twist and contort' , 'create and design' especially if there is very little to work with .Once fused together and the bare branches could be severed then used a jins which would give you numerous options and plenty of material to work with . Unfortunately Junipers don't back bud very well and usually where it is not needed which in itself may take a few years .

Cheers Alpineart

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”