Ficus macrophylla - Urban Yamadori - Collected 1997

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Ficus macrophylla - Urban Yamadori - Collected 1997

Post by Kevin »

Inspiration for my F. macrophylla 1
Min Hsuan Los - Ficus.jpg

Narrative
Written for posting on 21 February 2016

Ficus macrophylla 1 – Urban Yamadori – Collected 1997

Hello Everyone,

This Initial Post

I apologise to everyone for the long narrative beginning this post. I have endeavoured to be as brief as possible, I have tried to condense 19 years immediately below, then followed by a few images of the Ficus throughout those 19 years, up to a few days ago.

The posting will then continue in small broken down specifics relating to assistance that I would dearly appreciate your experience in aiding my knowledge of bonsai and the techniques involved.

If there is specific information you may desire regarding this Ficus or any other issue – please post your question /s.

I would also dearly appreciate your individual feedback on everyone’s own unique thoughts regarding anything relating to this thread or otherwise.

Thank-you in advance for your time.

The Initial Narrative

In the Spring of 1997 as a Landscape Maintenance Contractor, our company were employed to clean, restore and maintain a property at Lidcombe. The site was extensive, initially 100 hectares and established by the State Government in the 1890's as a home for 'wayward boys'. Initially and for many decades following the vast grounds surrounding the accommodation precinct were utilised for agricultural and horticultural purposes. This original precinct was adorned with many gardens and still contained most of the original plantings set up by the boys. Over the following 100 years the property remained owned and operated by the State Government and was utilised for many purposes. In the early 1990's the State Government relocated all their facilities from this property and locked the gates. Some areas of the property including the original precinct with its historic plantings had not been maintained for up to 10 years.

Honestly this precinct was a jungle when I went in - it was a Yamadori paradise. My first week onsite was with glyphosate, trying to identify and clear all 'hard stand areas'. This is where I uncovered my little (at that time) Ficus. It was approximately 300mm high x 100mm wide and looked a bit like a little fig budda, as half the figs height was consumed by his swollen bole with a forked 2 branch canopy. The figs swollen bole emerged from a 30mm cracked concrete pavement abutting a brick pier of an original building. Upon removal all I managed to secure were two 100mm long major roots and several long string like roots which ran along the grounds surface under the building.

At home, I was thinking he was a Moreton Bay Fig and all I wanted him to resemble were the established, well buttressed Ficus trees located around Sydney. I then wedged a weathered orange / reddish piece of sandstone as far as possible into the roots and crisscrossing the remaining roots over and around the 2 major roots (very un-bonsai like) hoping for these roots to graft together to produce a more pronounced buttress effect. This was then planted into an oddly sized black nursery container and filled with my standard potting mix completely covering the rock and placed it into an area of dappled sunlight throughout the entire day.

In the following Spring of 1998, on regular watering times, I began to slowly wash the soil away, little by little exposing the underlying rock. The plant produced an aerial root which I encouraged to reach the soil to root properly. By Summer, the fig began producing more aerial roots. Believing it to be distressed, the largest bonsai style pot I could locate was constructed from a heavy polymer product. I bare rooted and root pruned the Ficus and discovered after 12 months the roots had swelled sufficiently enough to encase the stone. Therefore, not wanting to cut the stone out, it remained (to this day) and I planted the fig into the shallow container.

Over the following 2 years the fig profusely produced long strangler style roots from the containers drainage holes which would consistently anchor the pot to the wooden seat where it permanently resided in the dappled sun. I regularly lifted the pot – actually, I wrestled with the pot and seat to separate them which would effectively sever the roots from the plant. I continued this practice through to the following spring of 2000, by which time I was able to purchase another larger bonsai styled container.

In the Spring of 2000, I bare rooted and root pruned the Ficus and again potted the Ficus into a one size larger pot. The Ficus received regular watering, fortnightly applications of liquid nutrients coupled with the occasional sprinkle of Dynamic Lifter for TURF.

Over the next 15 years, as the Ficus was a prolific grower, I was consistently giving the complete canopy a thorough terminal growth removal prune, generally speaking, pruning each and every branch back to 2 internodes and / or endeavouring to create and maintain the canopies evenness without putting the fuel hedge trimmer over it. My goal was to always try to maintain the terminal growth of any branch at an ideal space of 2 internodes - maximum 4 internodes (only in the first 2 – 4 years. I have regularly performed this pruning style throughout the tree's life, repeating this practice several times per year, on occasions, up to 4 times per year.

I have never wired this tree. I have spent the past 18 to 19 years selectively creating branches where I wanted them to be. My terminology is called replicating and / or duplicating.

Endeavouring to get my head around what bonsai enthusiasts call ramification - one word with multiple horticultural outcomes, I asked a ramification question to Mr Bodhidharma recently. At that time, Nate.bonsai quickly replied for which I forgot to thank for his assistance – thanks nate.bonsai for your promptness of reply.

Mr Bodhidharma had the patience of a hungry cat waiting atop of a mouse hole and then along came Bruce Lee, no, no, it was Mojo who quoted Bruce Lee:-

• “You must learn to live in the present and accept yourself for what you are now. What you lack in flexibility and agility you must make up with knowledge and constant practice.”

Mojo then made available a very helpful book for me to read on Bonsai.

Very recently I stumbled upon this quotation from Jon Chown.

Re: Australian Style. . . what is it
Postby Jon Chown » November 14th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Jon Chown wrote:
The area that I have always found the most difficult to learn and find out from other exponents is 'ramification' and how to obtain it - when to start working on it - which branches to keep and which to eliminate. Take a look at any of the trees done by some of the big names and study the ramification and you will quickly forget abot what style it is. Min Hsuan Los award winning Ficus is a great example.
I can completely sympathise with you Jon, because I am going through that exact phase. Jon did you ever work it out?

I have taken a few images which will be attached later that I would hope someone can assist me with please in relation to this phenomena of ramification.

Briefly, as I have explained my procedures for pruning. I believe the principles of 2x2 and 2x2x2 etc. have been somewhat performed and as for the RAM in ramification - you will see in the photos, 4 internodes on every branch per centimetre. It would appear, I have been ramifying my fig for the past 19 years.... and once the branch becomes lignified, the ramification process disappears, it is absorbed into the trunk / branches creating mild movement. As for the subsequent branch diversification, i can only deal with the blind buds made available to me - i cannot create a mini network of subsequent branchlets without a branch that will participate in this activity. I have read that this branch sub-division is easily obtained with alternately spaced branches. Can someone tell that to my Ficus - because all the Ficus does is :P "I'm going that way buddy"

Photos will help and will be posted later.... Please help. As for defoliation - a man needs a pacemaker every time he does that.

Over the past few years I have been on the hospital operating table quite frequently and all my trees have suffered due to this. The Ficus has also copped a physical bashing due to its size. Several major branches have incurred fractures, hence complete removal. One incident is due to the neighbour's dog's large squeaky bone, which went straight threw the fig completely removing a major structural limb and several smaller ones as well – 19 years of pruning instantly corrected with a bloody squeaky rubber bone from the neighbour’s dog – more on the neighbour later too.

As for bare rooting and root pruning. The fig had its first three seasons performed each Spring / Summer. Then it was left for approximately 10 years where I was regularly allowing the roots their freedom from the pot, then severing them. Effectively Air Pruning. This was not a planned procedure, as I had given the fig many freedoms, it responded with growth.

The problem I had was locating a container big enough for the Ficus. I literally spent years searching for - not the appropriate container for the fig - just any container big enough to hold this Ficus. Not aware of the social media, blogs and forums like AusBonsai, I was about to search for potters and commission a bonsai pot for the big girl.

Then in 2013, on one of my many pot hunting expeditions, I believed I could see through a sealed crate on the highest shelf (about 10 metres in the air) in the pot section of Bunnings. I believed I could see what appeared to be circular spheres nestled together. Well.... what happened next is another story.... But, I was not leaving that shop until I viewed what was within that sealed crate 10 metres in the air. Later that day, I purchased 2 circular sphere shaped containers from that sealed crate - the one the fig is presently residing in, being 630mm inside diameter and the next size up. I think outside diameters are 700mm and 900mm.

I would really appreciate assistance within everyone's thoughts on what would be the MOST APPROPRIATE SIZE AND SHAPE CONTAINER FOR MY FICUS.

Ficus macrophylla 1n measurements:

Height - 850mm
Canopy - 1200mm wide x 1300mm deep
Bole / Trunk / Nebari - 450mm wide x 430mm deep x 1300mm Circumference

Unfortunately, at this time the oldest image I can locate of the Ficus is from 2003 (and a Crappy one too, sorry).
1. 27 July 2003 DSCN0452.jpg
2. 1 January 2010 DSC_0018.jpg
3. 26 December 2010.jpg
4. 3 January 2011.jpg
5. 16 April 2013.jpg
6. 27 November 2013 DSC_0127-2.jpg
7. 27 November 2013 DSC_0128-2.jpg
8. 27 November 2013 DSC_0129-2.jpg
9. 14 June 2014 DSC_0653-2-2.jpg
10. 7 January 2015 _DSC1688-2-2.jpg
11. 17 June 2015 _DSC2602-2.jpg
Well that's it for now.

I hope you enjoy, looking forward to your comments - Good, Bad or Indifferent.
I do have much more to post, but will get to it soon.

Thank-you,
Kevin

Insert Images
2. Earlier Photos 1998 to 2015
3. The 5 Elements Team
4. Before Defoliation MON 25JAN2016
5. After Defoliation WED 27JAN2016
6. Root Removal and Re-Pot WED 27JAN2016
7. After Re-Pot THUR 28JAN2016
8. Storm Damage 7AM SAT 30JAN2016
9. Protect Plant from Another Storm 12PM SAT 30JAN2016
10. Re-Pot PM SAT 30JAN2016
11. After Re-Pot PM SAT 30JAN2016
12. Latest Photos 11FEB2016
13. A Closer look at Concerns PM SAT 30JAN2016
14. Internodal Distances 18FEB2016
15. Ramification Photos 11FEB2016
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Ficus macrophylla - Urban Yamadori - Collected 1997

Post by Bougy Fan »

That large aerial root draws my eye away from the trunk - not good. It will also eventually thicken the trunk at the that point. If it were mine I would lop it off. Otherwise the tree looks nice and healthy and when you are happy with the trunk size you can start working on the canopy.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

How about promoting a bunch of new aerial roots to soften the big one?
I too think its unnatractive but.sometimes a scar that size should maube be avoided?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Thanks Tony,
I am about to post some more images - on my list at the end of the original post - insert images when i get to number 12. Latest Photos 11FEB2016.
Can you please post back your opinion when you see the most recent photo.
Over the years, that aerial root seems to be pulling itself and the above branch away with it. Depending on the angle, at times, it almost appears to be 2 plants. Keep watching and let me know your opinion again please.
Thank-you,
Kevin
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Thanks Boics,
I'll keep going with the images - mostly rub-a-tub, and in Rory's words.
Rory wrote:
Holly cow!

That is not nebari, thats the face-hugger from Alien! :shock:
There's lots of angles - i'll let you know when i get to number 12.
Can you post back your opinion then please.
From memory the last three on my list are close ups where i need help / opinions from people like yourself.
I've mentioned it before - I am Bonsai illiterate, self taught, self practiced - Never been out in the real world until recently and there's a whole lot of bonsai i need to get my head around. Learning the textbook theory - and then using the close up images to ensure i am understanding exactly and applying the correct / best methodologies.
I also thought that if the closeup shots work, almost or maybe like a virtual lesson, these would aid in educating the 'thicker ones' out there like me.
Thank-you,
Kevin
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Hello Everyone,

On with the images:

These 4 images are all taken on 25 January 2016.
These 4 images depict the previously advised angles / faces of the plant.
These 4 images were taken prior to defoliation with the tub full of mondo grass.
Whilst no narrative supplied the photos are labelled when you hover over or open.
_DSC4177 - BACK.jpg
_DSC4180 - RIGHT.jpg
_DSC4181 - FRONT.jpg
_DSC4183 - LEFT.jpg
The next set of 4 images were taken on 27 January 2016 and were posted previously.
Initially i had been looking at the plant from the wrong angles.
That is, the same way for the past 20 years - walk out the back door and there it is. Water it and there it is.
When posted prior the AusBonsai professionals pointed out a completely different angle to me. A far better angle.
These images are now marked as advised / recommended.
The photos are labelled when you hover over or open
_DSC4192-3 FRONT.jpg
_DSC4194-3 RIGHT.jpg
_DSC4197-2 REAR.jpg
_DSC4191-3 LEFT.jpg
I have work that needs to be completed.
Please post your thoughts / opinions.
I'll try and get some more images up later tonight.
Thank-you,
Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Well I know it looks better from the front and rear but I still don't like it from the sides. This is MY opinion of YOUR tree of course - you can do whatever you wish with it. If it were mine I would cut off the root and start to bring the canopy back smaller to make it a bit smaller and compact.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Hi Kevin,have to agree with Tony the root needs to be cut off it is very very distracting and ugly mate,the scar will heel and give character anyway,and the canopy well I m on Tony's lines also bring down and cut,thanks for posting the tree,it is nearly there well done...cheers Anthony
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Hi Kevin. . I would keep the root . I live in a forest ,everyday when I walk my dog ,I walk past a few thousand trees , most with out a second glance . The ones that make me stop and really have a look at them are the ones that have some unusual characteristic . It could be an unnatural lean to a wild and wacky branch or maybe a survivor against all odds . For me they are the special trees . If your fig was in a fig forest I would stop and have a second look .
Cheers Sno
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Thanks Fellas,
Great comments. I read some of them last night and the rest just now.
When i got back last night and sat down, having read Tony's and Boics comments earlier before leaving - i looked up and there was that 'root', i was and still am looking at it, i am facing the rear elevation. The time was 12.30am this morning, from this angle - the rear, that aerial root oddly enough has adopted the exact same profile as the front.
I took a photo of it last night and it appears i was about to post - 'a blow in', looks like i created a new number in my list - 5.a.
Well, bugger again, last night @ 12.30am between taking the photo and posting it - i fell to sleep. Woke up 1/2 hour ago, realised where i was up to and NOW here is that rear elevation photo.
I'll have breakie, grab a coffee and post the next series of images - 6. Root Removal and Repot.
I must warn everyone - the next series of images are RATED NBP, (not for bonsai purist). The series number 6. carries damaging and obscene images of Nebari. Viewing by 'non bonsai purist only' (NBP) only.

Oh.... nearly forgot. Here is that blow in photo i took last night 5.a. Then fell to sleep.
_DSC4805.jpg
Thank-you, the comments are great, keep'em coming.
Back soon - don't forget the next series are rated NBP only.

Kevin
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Hello Tony, Anthonyw and Everyone,

I would like some advice regarding Tony's and AnthonyW's suggestions relating to reducing the figs height. As i too am also concerned with this aspect of my Ficus. Since obtaining the Ficus nearly 20 years ago all i have wanted from this Ficus is for it to be a bonsai. A bonsai of a Moreton Bay Fig that you could imagine was planted 200 years ago as a specimen tree within an open area of grasslands.

Now, the Ficus is 800 - 850mm high while 'naked' and after 20 years of reasonably and diligently controlling the terminal / apical growth areas of the tree in an attempt to ensure the natural habit of the species is maintained.

Now and for at least the past 5 years when i apically prune back my Ficus after a controlled growth spurt, focusing specifically on the trees shape i have been observing the increasing trend of my prunings occurring on old wood (meaning growth from a previous spurt / surge / season). I have also observed, increased branch structures developing mainly within the outside 100mm. Also, less visible, but always apparent a minimal increase in new branches developing closer in towards the main frame of the tree. Unfortunately, these 'inner' new branches have a high mortality rate.

I guess, as i don't have the bonsai experience, what i am observing would be the ramification developing within the outside 100mm of the canopy and to a lesser extent throughout the entire tree. At the same time i also feel that the tree is also increasing in its overall external canopy dimensions.

I'm doing a lot of talking here, I'll dot point:
1. I image i am looking for answers from those with experience. Theory and practical do not always transpose
2. Paramount to me is the trees final resemble to a specimen park tree of 200 years in age
3. This includes the proportional aspects of the tree eg. NO SUMOS
4. According to Wikipedia Ficus macrophylla DO NOT TRANSPOSE INTO BONSAI. Their reference - the Koreshoffs. Their reasons, from memory - leaf size and internode size both too large. I believe from my practical experience the later to be false
5. No, i don't want my FULLY MATURE BONSAI of my Ficus macrophylla to be much larger (if at all) than it is now.

I think you would all know where i am coming from and my desirable outcome.

Opinions / advice / whatever you want to call it, i don't mind?

Thank-you in advance.
Kevin
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

My opinion would be that you have been concentrating on ramification for too long when you should have been developing your branches. Let it grow long and put on some thickness then cut back hard. Then repeat, cutting back hard when the new section is not quite as thick as the previous section. All your branches are long and thin at the moment with, as you have observed, all the ramification at the ends. Only after you have done this for maybe another 10 years should you start to worry about finer ramification. It will mean your tree will be a lot bigger in the times between cut backs, but you will get a better structure.

I'm doing the same thing with a port Jackson at the moment and will be taking it to Canberra for the Native Symposium to work on it with Grant Bowie to set up the structure. It has only had a trim in the upper sections to stop them from thickening too much while lower branches have been left for nearly 2 years. It also has a few issues I want to address, particularly some large scars. I'll post mine when I have a chance to get some photos and after work this weekend. I'll also pass on any advice given to me.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Images
6. Root Prune and repot

WARNING: These images may contain shocking and terrifying NEBARI

Whilst the timing of the maintenance activities i was undertaking on this Ficus were far from being optimal, i believed immediately prior to commencing these activities that if i didn't perform them now the Ficus would more than likely perish over the coming winter months. The Ficus was in poor health due to the below factors:
1. Best Bonsai Practices not being completely undertaken for several years prior - due to my health at the time
2. A nasty pathogenic disease which had spread throughout my entire garden and whilst i believed i was atop of that issue there was no guarantees that the disease wasn't idly lingering within the plants substrate.
3. I had performed a stupid act several years prior by planting miniature mondo grass around the new pots circumference. I knew by the amount of chemicals i had been applying to the Ficus and it's practical non reaction in growth, health, etc. that the mondo grass was physically strangling the strangler fig.

When i saw the condition of the substrate i was gob smacked.

The past several months has been a very trialling and exhausting experience for me. I have also learnt an extremely important lesson about bonsai care and maintenance - don't take it for granted, 'she'll be right' , 'one more slip pot' attitude.

Over the past 20 - 30 years i have collected from scratch a handful of bonsai plants, which i care for tremendously. 6 weeks ago i believed i had lost every one of them. Today i believe i am one very lucky man - still with all my digits crossed, but all plants have put on significant growth, hopefully enough growth to sustain winter and while my Ficus sits here in front of me - now 4 weeks since complete defoliation and still not in leaf, i think i can return the pacemaker i rented 2 months ago, as each day passes the buds do get bigger. They just need to burst sooner than later to produce enough of their own food to sustain the cold months ahead.

Anyway, the images - Root Prune and Repot - Don't forget their rating.
All Images dated 28 January 2016
_DSC4252.jpg
_DSC4253.jpg
_DSC4256.jpg
_DSC4257.jpg
_DSC4258.jpg
_DSC4259.jpg
_DSC4260.jpg
_DSC4264.jpg
_DSC4269.jpg
_DSC4275.jpg
_DSC4302-2.jpg
_DSC4308-2.jpg
_DSC4310-2.jpg
_DSC4311-2.jpg
_DSC4313-2.jpg
_DSC4317-2.jpg
_DSC4330-2.jpg
_DSC4332-2.jpg
Well, that was a marathon. Get the Ficus in some fresh mix and we are done.
_DSC4335.jpg
_DSC4336.jpg
Good, all looks good. I need to make a new batch of mix, top her up, bed the mix in with the plant and done.
It's now 6pm 28 January 2016 - I started this re pot at 10pm on 27 January 2016. 20 hours has passed, unbelievable, although i did stop for breakfast for an hour.
I need to get to the shops before they shut, i'll throw a towel over the top of the root ball, hose it in, go to the shops.

Well, i did that - but i cannot post it now because the system won't let me - too much already in this post.

I'll be back with the rest shortly - little did i know then that there's still a long way to go.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Thanks dansai,
I have read your comment many times, absorbing your message to me and i do understand what you are saying to me.
Firstly and importantly - Thank-you.
You have probably gathered / read i have had trees in small pots for many years (20 - 30 years).
Have i practiced Bonsai during this time? NO. Although, initially for many years (5 years max. a long long time ago) i did do a lot of research on Bonsai before and when beginning to put trees into small pots. Then life got too busy.
For some reason late last year, i suppose when most men my age go out and buy themselves that Harley Davidson Motorcycle or another big toy for themselves - big boat, vintage car, etc.
I said to myself, "I'm going to get some really small plants and learn Bonsai".
Sorry, off track a tad - I'm sitting here shaking my head at myself.
I am slowly getting my head around all things Bonsai. I was / am truly amazed at how different Bonsai is (from normal Horticultural practices).
Thanks again for your help.
And Yes, your Ficus BEFORE and AFTER CANBERRA PHOTOS and any tips would be great.
Have a good time.
Kevin
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

Hi Kevin,very hard to describe over the forum,Dansai has good info there ,if I could suggest that you visit Bonsai south nursery mate as you are in Sydney and spend some time looking at his figs on display,not only looking, stare in to them Kevin study them,see how there built from classical to free style, that place is home to Australia's best figs and pines and more,and for a modest fee I would purchase his fig book - Ficus Bonsai in the temperate climate its all explained in there,hope this helps...good luck Kevin...cheers Anthony

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”