Ficus microcarpa var. Fomosana

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Ficus microcarpa var. Fomosana

Post by anthonyW »

This species of fig grows quite frantic in my area with its whitish trunk and glossy shiny leaves that stay quite smallish size without the constant pinching back to maintain size like other well known s,probably my favourite fig with willow leave for this reason,anyway this a progression from stock plant to now,just needing more rounded head and some extension of branching and slight definition of areas if you like,this having a more classical head put on it I think you would call it as opposed to free style as I do also and like very much.
The leaders would be grown out and cut back many times for taper sometimes I wire for look and fun early,pushing the trunk left and right,front and back for movement,unfortunately left the wire on a bit too long,so now left on so we would not ring bark it ,fig has nearly swallowed it so no harm there...cheers Anthony
phpfEjPhBPM.jpg
phpnN3XdQPM.jpg
php3THLRBPM.jpg
phpkjVpsFPM.jpg
phpoXrgSvPM.jpg
phpb2NGVMPM.jpg
phplHDAcPPM.jpg
phpNd9IvtPM.jpg
phpud5QKWPM.jpg
Ramifying nicely
php4dmswCPM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M.J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Various
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Ficus microcarpa var. Fomosana

Post by M.J »

Very nice fig !!
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Thanks M.J
Anthony
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Hi guys
The fig seems to be ramifying quite nicely and now a bottom branch has now let extend from a shoot and split to go both sides of the stem now ready to ramify,this will give more foliage top to bottom,2d shots don t really tell the story,so here is side shot with it loose wired,and also a side profile shot how I like to move the trunk back from viewer and slowly work it back at the top to the viewer for those interested in building a fig this way...cheers Anthony
php55fc0iAM.jpg
20160907_150854.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Hello Anthony,

Love your work, nice progression with this fig.
Thanks for sharing.
The white trunk Figs are quite spectacular IMO.

How many years have you been training this tree for?

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on September 25th, 2016, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Thanks Kevin,yes the white trunk do look good up close in person/bark and something just a little different to the norm.Leong at Bonsai South nursery has some killer trees in this material if your ever over that way have a look,and this stuff features in his book and has stock for sale too.

4 to 5 years I think for training,I have some cuttings just waiting to mature,then they will be grafted on the front for more surface roots to give more edge to the tree...thanks for interest Kevin.

cheers Anthony
Last edited by anthonyW on September 25th, 2016, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Anthony ,Great looking Fig and fantastic information. thanks. Had the pleasure of working with Min Hsuan Lo at a workshop recently with a Tiger Bark. I can see many similarity's with your Fig and what he was conveying. Cheers John.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Thanks John,wow how lucky are you,a fantastic artist and world renowned artist on tropical bonsai's,can only imagine how exciting it was for you,and all the tips you got from him..priceless.

This styling is used/made quite frequently with single trunk figs ..(using 3 piece trunk construction) leaning the lower part away from the viewer then bring the 2nd part slightly forward to viewer and then 3rd part(top) more forward to over centre(base) or slightly forward of centre the artistes(spelling) call there with the portions/ratios for length shortening as we get to the top and viewing front on we also move the trunk left and right hopefully with some taper to the top.

So a little bit going on with this type of trunk design but very do-able if we take our time.

As for foliage work i have wired on early when setting up and now just a little here and there when it gets a bit unruly and a trim

Hopefully John we will get a chance see what he suggested for your tiger bark one day,one can appreciate the time it takes as you can see by my progression,especially building in a bonsai pot...don t torment us for too long but lol :)
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

This fig has all its branching in place now, so with that in mind and being a vigorous/furious grower, clip and grow is all that is now needed now.

Only a partial defoliation needed this season as the leaf is quite small and healthy ( remember a healthily leaf is good for two seasons ) and halving the get go again ;)

The tree now enjoying a bigger head ...cheers
phpNQyZIaAM.jpg
winter growth
phppazATSAM.jpg
Back in sync and partially defoliated
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Another healthy growing season with this fig and its time to put them all back into shape with trimming and defoliation where needed, this fig representing classical/feminine style if you like.

With before and after images yesterday

Anthony
phpwI3i8KAM.jpg
phpHLNx6tAM.jpg
demps
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by demps »

Wow great tree mate! Such a good journey on your thread :tu: are you defoliating once a year?
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Thanks Demps, yes quite a wonder to look back at the trees journey.

As for defoliating only ever once a year at most, sometimes only partial or slight like last year , basically a trim for shape to see direction (as above last years pic).
Next year if the leaves get through winter it will have a year off from defoliation and just a trim, defoliation is a tool for a reason, if your happy at that stage I do not waste 6 weeks of the trees energy and mind :) the leaf will last another season if your trees care/health is there...hope that helps mate.

cheers Anthony

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”