Jade Bonsai - Suggestions

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: Jade Bonsai - Suggestions

Post by Matt S »

Hi Akhi,

I usually leave my Jade's alone over winter and then work them hard over summer. If you repot them in the heat (in Adelaide I start in December) you can remove over half the roots without any problems. Once they are growing strongly over summer I usually let the shoots extend to 3 pairs then cut back to 1 pair, and you have to keep on top of it, checking them every week. You can develop a decent foliage pad (if that's what you want) in a year if you keep up the pruning.

You have a lot of straight branches that could be cut back hard. They'll shoot from old wood if you do this in summer. You could also think about tilting the tree when you next repot it so it's not coming straight up out of the ground. The rings around the trunk and branches are permanent and are a feature of this species. If you look at these examples (viewtopic.php?f=130&t=25247) you'll see the top tree still has rings and it's over 60 years old.

I like the nebari on your tree, well done. I notice you picked a glazed pot, which I think suit Jades best. I've seen excellent Jades potted in red glazed pots, which is quite striking but hard to find.

Cheers,
Matt.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

wow " rings are permanent" .That my friend is TOTALLY FALse :tounge: :palm: Tomorrow I"ll show you a trunk, with a hollow, on a 35+ yr old. which i hope to dig. Thing is , i know i can, it's that i have branches as thick as your wrist to make trees from :o. by scarring makes character , so my boxing coach said :?
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

4EA0FAB5-91F2-4CD0-BCFF-21055C392299.jpeg
CFB14106-1DB7-4F7C-B8D6-EB6F12835D92.jpeg
F9CB607F-D983-45E7-A613-26923A8CED13.jpeg
93F3B86F-5853-42D6-A035-06B93644AEA9.jpeg
Been a couple of years since I last posted an update on this tree. Having got back to Melbourne this little tree seems to be taking a while to acclimatize to the cooler clime from Adelaide. Missing the glossy green colour to which Junior quipped “maybe you are not feeding it” and thinking 🤔 about it don’t remember when I fed it last.... nevertheless it’s changed on and put on a good trunk which tapers reasonable. Have ignored this a while so will have to do some remedial pruning to get the long limbs tucked back into the frame. But I think I will wait for mid spring.
Also now confused as to which side is the best to use as the front. Any suggestions and critiques welcome. Objective is to have a good bonsai so looking for feedback from the group.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

I decided to defoliate this jade which has been growing along nicely with little complain. Think I should get a nice bunch of fresh jade green leaves all through in three weeks.
E3C66A33-2D2C-4A9A-AFDB-E85A2E96F1C9.jpeg
9F46151D-2CE0-4791-8BC9-24F82C666D5A.jpeg
23FBE172-F938-43FF-88A4-B2FD33B93450.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”