Collected Melaleuca progression

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Raymond B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Jacaranda
Bonsai Age: 0

Collected Melaleuca progression

Post by Raymond B »

Hi guys,
This is my unofficial first attempt at a bonsai, my first being a seedling that needs a lot more time to grow.
I collected this tree from the bush where it was practically growing horizontally along the ground. It lost a lot of roots in the process and I "cut" the tree roughly in half. The cut is more of a break because I only had a pair of secateurs that didn't quite cut it. I planted it and fed it some seasol and hoped for the best (this was last Wednesday I think... :lost:)
Let me know what you think, and where you think the tree is headed, I'm thinking windswept because that's basically where it's at naturally. Also an ID would be good, but I know that might be hard without flowers. :lost:
I've attached some photos, the brick is for scale (its 230mm) and the red lines are where I chopped him. There is some new growth showing, which I'mhoping grew since I planted, didn't pay that close attention when I first got it :palm:
Thanks in advance, and I will keep this updated. I've almost finished uni, 2 weeks left, then I might have more time in the evenings after work.

-Raymond
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Collected Melaleuca progression

Post by Pup »

Raymond I see you have had no replies to your post. I am reluctant also.
I would say it is most likely a bottle brush than a Mel.
My next observation would be WHY dig it. It has nothing going for it, no movement it is just a straight stick.
If it survives, I would wait to see what branching you get to see where you can take it.
At this point in time as I said nothing shows out. I also suggest you join the Bonsai Society of Western Australia. If you already have make your self known.
You will get help.
Just ask Derek.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Raymond B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond B »

Hi Pup,
Thanks so much for a reply, all I really wanted was for someone to say something about it.
As for why I dug it, I was just keen on getting something in a pot and having a go. I have given myself a (naive?) challenge to not pay anything for the actual plants I'm working on.
To me it doesn't matter what it looks like in the end, I just want to have a miniature tree that's alive by the end to have some practise on.
In terms of the ID, I will have abother look, because I've been known to get the bottle brush and melaleucas mixed up.
Thanks for the advice to join the WA society, I shall look into that.

Thanks
Raymond
Thanks
Raymond
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I agree with Pup in that it has no character, but with a bit of creativity ( and muscle) that can be generated

Get it healthy and growing strongly, cut the top back and you should get new shoots lower down to build from, but it will be a long time to make anything from a stick in a pot.
you could create a low down break 1/2 way thru the trunk and then wire and bend to give movement, taper and interest.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Raymond B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond B »

Thanks for your reply Ken, and yes, I agree that it doesn't have a lot of character how it is now, but I'm happy to learn from it and see where it can go, this is my first attempt. I was thinking a break would be possible, or to even lop it in half if I get some back budding. But I'm happy to let it grow for a year or so and to just watch.

I went back to where I collected it and yes, it is a Calistemon, and I'm incredibly impressed that you can pick that up Pup, from photos without buds or flowers. From what I've just googled, it seems that I have two options as to what it can be: C.Brachyandrus or C.Subulatus. Please let me know if there are more options, and I will look into it, I want to learn as much as I can!
Thanks
Raymond
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I picked it as a cali too, but you wodu have to wait for flowers to narrow any more :-)
You use it learn how to look after and care for it then decide, It should backbud readily to give u options to develop

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Raymond B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond B »

So I got some photos of the only flower on the neighbouring bushes, they are a brighter red colour and a bit smaller than the "normal" bottle brush.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks
Raymond
alec
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olives and natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: WA Bonsai Society

Post by alec »

Could be wrong but this looks a lot like Melaleuca lateritia, if dug from a Perth wetland...?
Raymond B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond B »

I think you're spot on! Haha who came up with the names of these plants? Aren't they thinking of making all callistemons melaleucas anyway?
Thanks
Raymond
alec
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olives and natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: WA Bonsai Society

Post by alec »

Yeah I've heard they want to make them all Melaleucas! I recon this will annoy a lot of people ;)
Kunzea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Too many!
Bonsai Age: 47

Post by Kunzea »

Raymond
Melaleuca lateritia looks like a good name for the flowering specimen, and the one you collected. Note how the flowers are coming off / out of 'old' wood, rather than from the current year's wood. This is one of the characteristics of this species, but it is not the only one to do this. And yes, the flowers do look a bit like a bottlebrush, which just helps to show how close the two genera are. Putting Callistemon into Melaleuca makes good sense overall.

As to the name, it was named back in 1834. 'lateritia means dark red in Latin and refers to the colour of the flowers, which helps if you know or learn Latin ;) . As you are from Perth, you will probably know about 'laterite' as the gravel used in much landscaping, capping the hills to the east. Again, it is a name that refers to the dark red colour.
Raymond B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond B »

Getting some budding at the base, looks pretty good :)
IMG_20161121_165656561.jpg
Thanks
Raymond
Raymond B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond B »

Hi All,

I got this tree when I was very enthusiastic about starting bonsai and wanted a bigger tree to start practising. It probably wasn't the best choice of tree to dig up but I've got it now and I'm still here to learn from it.
The main trunk never survived the transplant, but it shot buds from it roots pretty soon afterwards, and this is it now:
Overall View.jpg
Trunk closeup.jpg
I feel the deadwood trunk is usable as a feature, I'm just unsure how the rest of the tree would highlight that, and how thick the skinny trunk needs to get to make it any good.
The blunt, flat cut at the end could obviously do with some carving. And what is the best way to treat the deadwood?

Any help and feedback is appreciated, and feel free to help out with a virt.
Thanks
Raymond
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

You can get good growth if you plant it in the ground, in a colander or a large pot that can then throw the roots down into the soil beneath. That should thicken up the trunk with good fertiliser and water, and if you dig the tree out every summer, prune the roots and plant it again, you'll have a better chance of having workable material.

I hope you joined the bonsai society? There's a wealth of knowledge of WA native material in that club....be a shame to not access it.
Last edited by melbrackstone on October 14th, 2017, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond B »

Hi Mell,

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately we're renting and there isn't a good spot for it as there is no real garden.
As for the bonsai society, I'm not one for joining clubs

As for this tree, I'm still just looking for ideas for now.
Thanks
Raymond

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”