Some of my trees and setup

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Some of my trees and setup

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Matthew wrote:
Mojo Moyogi wrote:Hi Matt,

The broom with the red/purple foliage I thought I recognised it, I still have a couple here with the same foliage.

The one in the brown glazed pot, I was talking about this one:
elm shohin 29th may 18.jpg
I am positive I have pics of that tree somewhere from 6-7 years ago

Cheers,
Mojo
Yes sorry that was one of yours. It has thickened and barked up in the trunk quite well. I love that pot

The bark is impressive given that it isn't a Corky, from memory it's a regular Chinese Elm, just a stem cutting circa 2003-04. It's driving me crazy not knowing where the picture is that I have of it, with amazing butter yellow colour. I'm going to find itfor you

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Mojo Moyogi wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Mojo Moyogi wrote:Hi Matt,

The broom with the red/purple foliage I thought I recognised it, I still have a couple here with the same foliage.

The one in the brown glazed pot, I was talking about this one:
elm shohin 29th may 18.jpg
I am positive I have pics of that tree somewhere from 6-7 years ago

Cheers,
Mojo
Yes sorry that was one of yours. It has thickened and barked up in the trunk quite well. I love that pot

The bark is impressive given that it isn't a Corky, from memory it's a regular Chinese Elm, just a stem cutting circa 2003-04. It's driving me crazy not knowing where the picture is that I have of it, with amazing butter yellow colour. I'm going to find itfor you

Cheers,
Mojo
The bark really is the star all the way to the apex and it has a very good nerbari since day one (your work I guess :D ).
a picture of my garden female ginko in its last few days before it starts dropping everywhere . Its about 17 years old so has been growing pretty damn good
rsz_garden_ginko_june_18.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

picture of my garden female ginko in its last few days before it starts dropping everywhere
showboat :worship: :worship: :worship:
lenlen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English elm
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by lenlen »

Very impressive collection, thank you for sharing!
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

So I have been downsizing the collection last few months . Some things have left that I thought I wouldn't part with . After having some for 15 years you get alittle attached . Anyway most species have budded and in full swing with the exception of the linden tree, ginko, premma japonica and the liquid amber .
rszbench 2 1 oct 18.jpg
rsz_bencg 1st oct 18.jpg

These pines both sold recently
rsz_pine2 oct.jpg
These tridents all went to
rsz_3 tridents.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matthew on October 1st, 2018, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mitch_28 »

Matthew wrote:So I have been downsizing the collection last few months . Some things have left that I thought I wouldn't part with . After having some for 15 years you get alittle attached . Anyway most species have budded and in full swing with the exception of the linden tree, ginko, premma japonica and the liquid amber .
rszbench 2 1 oct 18.jpg
rsz_bencg 1st oct 18.jpg

rsz_pine2 oct.jpg
rsz_3 tridents.jpg
Very impressive on all fronts, must be very rewarding to just stand back and admire sometimes. Especially love cedars myself. Your specimen looks really majestic, like an old guard. Can I ask how you treat your new growth? I'm still learning and read plenty of conflicting advice on whether to pinch or not to pinch cedars and trim or not to trim. Very confusing and not as much info on them as some of the more common species.
Thanks for sharing your collection, very inspiring. Mitch

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Mitch_28 wrote:
Matthew wrote:So I have been downsizing the collection last few months . Some things have left that I thought I wouldn't part with . After having some for 15 years you get alittle attached . Anyway most species have budded and in full swing with the exception of the linden tree, ginko, premma japonica and the liquid amber .
rszbench 2 1 oct 18.jpg
rsz_bencg 1st oct 18.jpg

rsz_pine2 oct.jpg
rsz_3 tridents.jpg
Very impressive on all fronts, must be very rewarding to just stand back and admire sometimes. Especially love cedars myself. Your specimen looks really majestic, like an old guard. Can I ask how you treat your new growth? I'm still learning and read plenty of conflicting advice on whether to pinch or not to pinch cedars and trim or not to trim. Very confusing and not as much info on them as some of the more common species.

Mitch thanks for the kind words . I get moments when I really enjoy what ive created and then there are times its a chore hense one reason im reducing some numbers . I would of like a few to stay but as long as they are going to good homes ill get over it . With regards to cedars I have deodar and lebenon cedar . Both I treat almost indentical in that I don't pich for two reasons . Im lazy and don't have the time . I prune them quite hard back once ive got about 100mm growth on the large formal upright. Its a OLD tree so I let it get good vigor up first through feeding etc then prune back hard to 1-2 sets buds . The lebonon simular however the lebenon spends summer in partial shade and it keep quite moist . It seems to prefer it and never had a issue with the roots and ive been treating it this way for 8 years . The large cedar ill keep on the dry side alittle and full sun.
Last edited by Matthew on October 2nd, 2018, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mitch_28 »

Matthew wrote:
Mitch_28 wrote:
rszbench 2 1 oct 18.jpg
rsz_bencg 1st oct 18.jpg

rsz_pine2 oct.jpg
rsz_3 tridents.jpg

Mitch thanks for the kind words . I get moments when I really enjoy what ive created and then there are times its a chore hense one reason im reducing some numbers . I would of like a few to stay but as long as they are going to good homes ill get over it . With regards to cedars I have deodar and lebenon cedar . Both I treat almost indentical in that I don't pich for two reasons . Im lazy and don't have the time . I prune them quite hard back once ive got about 100mm growth on the large formal upright. Its a OLD tree so I let it get good vigor up first through feeding etc then prune back hard to 1-2 sets buds . The lebonon simular however the lebenon spends summer in partial shade and it keep quite moist . It seems to prefer it and never had a issue with the roots and ive been treating it this way for 8 years . The large cedar ill keep on the dry side alittle and full sun.
I'd imagine I'd be lazy too if I had so many different trees all with their own needs. But is it really laziness or just efficiency!
I have both a blue cedar and one that was labelled as one but I have my doubts because it looks nothing like the blue one I have. Maybe just a plain Atlantic cedar, not Glauca. Anyway, thanks for the advice Matthew. I've not long root pruned the Atlantic which made me nervous from reading that they sulk big time but it's throwing out new growth so guessing it will be fine. Might experiment on new growth with different pruning techniques and see how it responds. Only way to learn I suppose. Keep up the great work [CLAPPING HANDS SIGN]

bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: BONSAI NW

Post by bunce »

Very impressive collection you have there :)

bunce.
:hooray: Hakuju-En Bonsai Nursery - Shohin - Mame - Tokoname Pots - Display Tables - Repot - Styling work - https://hakujuenbonsai.com/ :aussie:
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

So with summer FINALLY over I have uncovered the shade cloth to see what had been damaged etc . Lost a small Japanese maple , lost a pretty nice shimpaku , two pines . A combination of pure HEAT (we had 41 days above average with only 2 days below )and the irrigation just not penetrating the pots property . Lesson learnt!

Anyway here is the latest shots since it seems autumn may just start to make a appearance . ive sold off a few larger pines , maples etc . I still have a lot for sale and pots too.
rsz_bonsai 25march2019.jpg
rsz_bonsai25thmarch2019 2.jpg
rsz_bonsai 25th march 2019 3.jpg
rsz_Bonsai 25th march 2019 4.jpg
rsz_bonsai 25th march2019 5.jpg
Last edited by Matthew on March 25th, 2019, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Sad that you lost some trees but Matthew ... what a set up! Your plants are at some five star joint - mine get a reasonably raw camp site by comparison! Ok - I had better get back to work now - I have to earn money to upgrade the camp site!

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

MJL wrote:Sad that you lost some trees but Matthew ... what a set up! Your plants are at some five star joint - mine get a reasonably raw camp site by comparison! Ok - I had better get back to work now - I have to earn money to upgrade the camp site!

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do have a pretty nice setting & Protection from strong winds and hail. Keep at it and in time your trees and your "accommodation" will grow.
Jake fowler
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Olive, Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Jake fowler »

Pm sent
Jake
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

A few shohin currently in development . I've moved away from larger trees last several years although I still have a few 2 man trees I appreciate the small guys a lot more these days . My dream is to have a decent satsiki that I haven't been able to find so ive been forced to grow one , a quince that are rare , blue cedar , a shohin white or mugo pine .
rsz_shohin 5 april 1.jpg
rsz_shohin 5 april 2.jpg
rsz_shohin 5 april 3.jpg
rsz_shohin 5 april 4.jpg
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

That's a great collection Matt, I particularly like the shohin broom. What can you tell us about it?

Those metal stands are a great idea too.

Matt.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”