My first bonsai from nursery stock

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: My first bonsai from nursery stock

Post by greggles »

shibui wrote:Yep, wild wiring alright :lost: As you do more you should work out strategies to make the wires a bit neater but I say as long as it works and you are not showing it doesn't matter how it looks.

You've spread out al the sub branches on that first branch really neatly but in doing so you've left the middle bare. I've noticed that all the experienced bonsai people place a few of the sub branches over the centre of the branch to fill that area in, even if it means crossing a few over each other.
The other thing I notice is the side view. I can see the main branch above all the sub branches. The other way round looks better where the tips are wired up a bit so we can see the branch structure under the foliage pad. Remember that's the way branch tips grow - upwards rather than down. No need to get too carried away. We really just want to show a hint of the branch structure under the pads. Probably something like you have now but upside down if that makes sense.
Thanks Shibui,

I don't know why I thought the subbranches should also have bends in them. I will fix them up. Fingers crossed all is well, I just noticed some of the subbranches that where bent down have some splitting from the main branch! (All for nothing as I have now learnt) hopefully not too much damage has been done. :oops:
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greggles »

Uh oh.

The tree hasn't looked the best the last few days. A bit more die back than I thought and starting to look a bit dry and brown from the tips in. :s

I've given it some seasol yesterday and today. Hopefully it perks it up. Any other tips?

I know it wont get any new shoots because its coming into winter but will it turn more green or will I have to wait till spring for new shoots?

Cheers Greg
Last edited by greggles on April 29th, 2019, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greggles »

Bit hard to tell, but here is a picImage

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”