DIFFICULT TRIDENT MAPLE

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

DIFFICULT TRIDENT MAPLE

Post by Matthew »

This tree has been a problem child. Its one of those tridents that don't like to ramify much, don't throw many buds on older wood so I have to graft branches were I want them. Yet I put up with it as that base has got it going on. I need to graft at least two new branches and I allowed that first graft to get too thick too fast and it should of pointed up slightly :imo: . Its a very frustrating tree.
rsz_larger_trident.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matthew on July 17th, 2017, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: DIFFICULT TRIDENT MAPLE

Post by bodhidharma »

I can relate Matthew, i have one of them also :roll:
Last edited by bodhidharma on July 17th, 2017, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Post by Jow »

great base Matt.

You could graft a whole set of new branches in a better foliage type or just put up with courser ramification.

I have found that these course tridents tend to get much better bases then their finer branched cousins.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Jow wrote:great base Matt.

You could graft a whole set of new branches in a better foliage type or just put up with courser ramification.

I have found that these course tridents tend to get much better bases then their finer branched cousins.
Jow
good food for thought. I have another one with a ripper base but even bigger issues up top so I might do that or if you get up here in the next few weeks you can do it for me :tounge: :lol:
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

have you considered completely removing the bottom two branches and that first front branch?
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

tgward wrote:have you considered completely removing the bottom two branches and that first front branch?
Yes agree - even with just the existing lower branch graft gone?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I wonder if it is a different strain of trident? I also have one which has produced a magnificent flared base and roots but poor branch structure and ramification. It also has green new growth while the normal ones have reddish tips.
I'm pretty sure it came from the same seed source as my other tridents though so it should not be a separate variety.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Post by Jow »

shibui wrote:I wonder if it is a different strain of trident? I also have one which has produced a magnificent flared base and roots but poor branch structure and ramification. It also has green new growth while the normal ones have reddish tips.
I'm pretty sure it came from the same seed source as my other tridents though so it should not be a separate variety.
I have noticed the green buds on these also.

I have an old imported trident that was brought in in the 90s that has this trait.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Jow wrote:
shibui wrote:I wonder if it is a different strain of trident? I also have one which has produced a magnificent flared base and roots but poor branch structure and ramification. It also has green new growth while the normal ones have reddish tips.
I have noticed the green buds on these also.

I have an old imported trident that was brought in in the 90s that has this trait.
I think all these types of trident came from some original imports . Mine came from a well known grower in Olinda so im sure some of you know him. Yes the new growth is the same as described above. I might graft a whole new set of branches on this early spring as a experiment .
difficult trident.jpg
difficult trident 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

By looking at the small branches up top I'm not convinced that it's difficult to ramify Matthew.
How are you training it?
It's imperative that you thin to 2 shoots every winter and after defoliating every year. After that let new shoots grow until you have 3 pairs of leaves and the tips. Cut to 2 or 1 pair and defoliate. Remove EVERY single branch where there is more than 2 coming from one spot, let grow and repeat
Next winter thin out again and repeat. If you don't thin out excessive branches you will get swellings and the ones you want will grow slower because they have to share everything with the unwanted ones so be absolutely ruthless in removing everything not needed! I cannot repeat this enough and it's the most common mistake/problem I see with tridents and palmatums. If you don't do this you can end up with 5 or more shoots from the one spot and all your previous hard work will be for nothing because you will eventually be forced to cut it all off and start again. At the risk of monotony, 2 into 2 into 2 always! And don't pinch too early like palmatum. Let grow - cut back - defoliate -(wire?) etc.
trident.JPG
Last edited by treeman on July 18th, 2017, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

treeman wrote:By looking at the small branches up top I'm not convinced that it's difficult to ramify Matthew.
How are you training it?
It's imperative that you thin to 2 shoots every winter and after defoliating every year. After that let new shoots grow until you have 3 pairs of leaves and the tips. Cut to 2 or 1 pair and defoliate. Remove EVERY single branch where there is more than 2 coming from one spot, let grow and repeat
Next winter thin out again and repeat. If you don't thin out excessive branches you will get swellings and the ones you want will grow slower because they have to share everything with the unwanted ones so be absolutely ruthless in removing everything not needed! I cannot repeat this enough and it's the most common mistake/problem I see with tridents and palmatums. If you don't do this you can end up with 5 or more shoots from the one spot and all your previous hard work will be for nothing because you will eventually be forced to cut it all off and start again. At the risk of monotony, 2 into 2 into 2 always! And don't pinch too early like palmatum. Let grow - cut back - defoliate -(wire?) etc.
trident.JPG
Mike
you maybe onto something... Im repotting the next few weekends so no doubt ill play around with this at some point. I still think compared to a lot of tridents ive had for the same number of years the branch development is so far behind .

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”