My First "Forest"

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

My First "Forest"

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi All,
Last January I found that some Japanese Sacred Bamboo growing around my little water feature in the garden had self-sown and germinated a few babies. I dug them up and planted them in a large black plastic pot to see how the would do, and was rewarded.
So today I decided they were attractive enough to put into a pot. I've had a piece of shale lying around for a while so I incorporated that into the planting as well. There is plenty of moss growing around the little water feature which also has a small waterfall on a timer, keeping the micro ecosystem damp and humid. Some of this moss was also used, though in the past I have found it dies off a bit before re-growing after being peeled off the rocks.
The result is the small group planting in these pics. It's my first attempt at a group planting and would appreciate any comments that would help me improve my next one. I'm aware that the pot is very deep for the size of the trees, but I used this pot deliberately to facilitate watering. I'm a bonsai grower, but I also have other interests which means sometimes the pots not on the bonsai shelf do not get watered as regularly as they should :whistle: and the deeper pots buffer my watering inconsistency somewhat.
Growing in the moss is a very small seedling from a tree I planted years ago , can't remember the name, but it's a native. this prompts the question why do we not see group plantings of mixed species in bonsai? :lost:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: My First "Forest"

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Hi Frank,
As to date - 170 views & no comments from anyone so far???

The title of your post has made me think back to when I started my first "forest" or group planting.
I was going to make a trident maple group. I had bought a number of small starters & planted them in a huge deep pot - all evenly spaced, all the same age, all the same size. That was in 2004. I have a pic below which shows the "humble" beginnings. :palm:
trident group 2004.jpeg

Over time I learnt by researching & viewing lots of other peoples group plantings, that a more convincing looking group would need some variation in heights, trunk thicknesses, & planting placements. These are the aspects that you should consider for this planting, or any future ones you may undertake. There are a lot more in depth conversations & advice on these aspects in previous topics posted, if you do a search on "forest or group" plantings.

I am not sure why mixed species are regarded as a no-no in group settings, but maybe someone else from the community could shed some light on this?

Below are a few recent pics of what was my "First forest" - luckily its still alive!!
trident group 2017.jpg
trident2.jpg
trident side2.jpg
Is there anyone else willing to share thoughts, or upload some early pics of their "first forest" so we may all continue to learn :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Here's my first forest. It's not much but I like it. :shifty:
fpe.JPG
Mike
AirControl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by AirControl »

[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

treeman wrote:Here's my first forest. It's not much but I like it. :shifty:
fpe.JPG

Wow! - Mr Treeman,
Could you please show us a side view of your first forest, so we can all learn from your trunk positioning?
Maybe even a nice close up shot from the side (as well as the top view?)
This would be most beneficial for the creator of this post & myself.
Last edited by Keep Calm and Ramify on December 9th, 2017, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

Try looking up the rule of thirds it work well for bonsai group plantings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds#frb-inline
The Japanese talk about 5/8ths but it is the same difference.
The trees that Treeman posted are technically amazing, but I find that they are too centered and symmetrical.
walterpalls forest.jpg
This is from Walter Pall, less refined but I find them more satisfying, than Treeman's post.

For the nandina I would plant them closer together let them grow for a year and see if some variation in size happens naturally.

Cheers,
Symon
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:
fpe.JPG

Wow! - Mr Treeman,
Could you please show us a side view of your first forest, so we can all learn from your trunk positioning?
Well I would love to of course but unfortunately a meteorite landed right on top of it last night so I had to throw it on the fire because it was completely destroyed. Oh wait, no I sold it. That's right I sold it. The guy who bought it is a very private man so.....
Mike
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Thank you for the replies. Yes I thought for a couple of days that I had planted a perfect forest and no-one could think of any improvements. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously, yes I will try to change the sizes by pruning a little. Unfortunately I had only five trees to work with and I did want some practice planting a forest. In winter I bought a bunch of tridents from shibui and planted them in a couple of foam boxes. The aim is to plant the best selection of those as a group. They are doing very well in their grow boxes, getting some nice trunks and are also of varying sizes. So next winter they will be lifted and put into a nice pot as a group. In the meantime I'll do as has been suggested and research group plantings a little more. :reading:
Thanks all for you advice, Frank
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

treeman wrote:
Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:
fpe.JPG

Wow! - Mr Treeman,
Well I would love to of course but unfortunately a meteorite landed right on top of it last night so I had to throw it on the fire because it was completely destroyed. Oh wait, no I sold it. That's right I sold it. The guy who bought it is a very private man so.....

Wait a minute......... people actually pay you money for your trees? :shock:
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

I believe a Mr Kokufu bought Treeman's forest planting. Was it back in 2014?

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”