First Ever Attempt - Dwarf Hinokki

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
dannykc83
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chameocyparis Obtusa
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: none

First Ever Attempt - Dwarf Hinokki

Post by dannykc83 »

I have just been bought a Dwarf Hinokki and would like to document the development of its growth on here. I am a complete novice so would kindly appreciate any help or advice that the community can give. So day one I have spent a short time researching a little about the tree. The label read the species type as "Chameocyparis obtusa" then underneath the description is Cv ''Chabo Yadari" but through googling I found it to be more commonly known as a Dwarf Hinokki. The instructions say that it needs to be kept outdoors or in partial shade or in warmer months kept indoors for short periods of time. I have found a nice shaded spot in my back garden with light shining onto it when the sun is high and have sprayed it with water. My aim is to turn this into a bonsai tree but at the minute it looks quite young so my first question is do you think i need to let it grow and get bigger first or should i begin to start with the pruning and wiring? Also how often do i need to water at this stage? Any other advice you may have is welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: First Ever Attempt - Dwarf Hinokki

Post by shibui »

Hi Danny,
I suspect that your tree has been mislabelled which is not uncommon with the commercial volume suppliers of these little 'mallsai'
I have not grown 'Chabo Yadari' so I may possibly be wrong but Chamaecyparis should have flattened fans of foliage This one looks much more like Cryptomeria - Japanese cedar. You can still grow it as bonsai.

How you go forward with this tree will depend on what you want to end up with. There is no one right way to develop bonsai and you are likely to get different and often conflicting advice to this question of how to proceed.
Time is the biggest factor in producing bonsai.
You can go down the long track of keeping your tree in a small pot and continuing to trim regularly. That should eventually produce a nice tree but will take many years.
Most westerners will advise planting the tree in a large pot or in the garden and allowing it to grow freely for a few years. That will produce a larger thicker tree in just a few years but there can be unintended consequences, especially with conifers which will often not shoot from older, bare parts and trees grown like this often have scars and dead wood from pruning larger unwanted branches.

Watering depends on the weather, your location, size of pot and type of potting mix. Most of us water thoroughly at least once each day during summer. I currently water all my bonsai every morning and night to keep them properly hydrated. misting the leaves will not keep the roots hydrated.
Bonsai also need feeding so fertilise it every 3-4 weeks.
Some sun is vital for trees but hot afternoon sun can dry the little pots. Most growers try to keep bonsai in a spot which gets good morning sun but some afternoon shade. The spot you have found may be OK with some midday sunshine on the tree.

Good luck with your bonsai journey.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Can't do better than follow shibui's advice.
dannykc83
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannykc83 »

shibui wrote:Hi Danny,
I suspect that your tree has been mislabelled which is not uncommon with the commercial volume suppliers of these little 'mallsai'
I have not grown 'Chabo Yadari' so I may possibly be wrong but Chamaecyparis should have flattened fans of foliage This one looks much more like Cryptomeria - Japanese cedar. You can still grow it as bonsai.

How you go forward with this tree will depend on what you want to end up with. There is no one right way to develop bonsai and you are likely to get different and often conflicting advice to this question of how to proceed.
Time is the biggest factor in producing bonsai.
You can go down the long track of keeping your tree in a small pot and continuing to trim regularly. That should eventually produce a nice tree but will take many years.
Most westerners will advise planting the tree in a large pot or in the garden and allowing it to grow freely for a few years. That will produce a larger thicker tree in just a few years but there can be unintended consequences, especially with conifers which will often not shoot from older, bare parts and trees grown like this often have scars and dead wood from pruning larger unwanted branches.

Watering depends on the weather, your location, size of pot and type of potting mix. Most of us water thoroughly at least once each day during summer. I currently water all my bonsai every morning and night to keep them properly hydrated. misting the leaves will not keep the roots hydrated.
Bonsai also need feeding so fertilise it every 3-4 weeks.
Some sun is vital for trees but hot afternoon sun can dry the little pots. Most growers try to keep bonsai in a spot which gets good morning sun but some afternoon shade. The spot you have found may be OK with some midday sunshine on the tree.

Good luck with your bonsai journey.
Thankyou Shibui for your detailed response, when I initially googled the species the pictures I saw looked different to the plant I have, but i put that down to it being so young. I have had a look at the cryptomeria and it does look a lot more like that species. This morning I have put it out in the sunshine for a couple of hours and will return it to its original space until I can find a suitable place were it can receive the morning sun as you advised. I think I would like to keep this tree at a small to medium size, something manageable as it is my first time. Looking at the photograph would you recommend pruning now? It is quite full of leaves but the main trunk and branches are quite thin and delicate. I am not sure if the amount of leaves will be causing a problem at this early stage. My main aim is to keep the tree healthy until I can begin wiring and shaping but i am not sure at what stage i should be doing that. So many questions but I will take it step by step. Thanks again.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

It is hard to give accurate advice from this distance but I think I would cut back some of the new growth a bit. It also looks like it could do with some thinning out. At the moment it seems to be just a massed tangle of shoots. A bonsai usually has a distinct trunk and branches you can see with space between. Not sure if this one will look like that but some spaces so that light can get to the inner shoots will be important I think.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bki
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by bki »

This is my chabo yadori (mid left).
I have it for 4 years and constantly get thinned like this every late spring. it takes the whole summer to fill out.
Slow growing maybe. i water fully in the morning cos it is kept in a grow box and water targeting the leaves late afternoon.
Me too, like Danny, is seeking advise from more experienced growers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
more trees.....
dannykc83
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dannykc83 »

They look really good BKI unfortunately I think I dont have chabo yadori must have been a wrong label. Wish I could help with your query but im brand new to this so I will wish you good luck!

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”