Windswept Japanese Box

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
The Munt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus Procumbens
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Windswept Japanese Box

Post by The Munt »

My first crack at styling, morning flew by and I really enjoyed playing with this, had really good nebari so I pulled it up a bit, and I like how the longest root on ground is headed the same direction as the windswept branches.

A lot still to do but with a bit of luck I’ll enjoy improving this tree for years to come.

Before
3DB1211F-9F12-4AFD-A6E1-24CF7DADC195.jpeg
The vision I had in my head before I chose a better front
1CA8A951-F581-4533-BC3D-DA84181F7F12.jpeg
After
DBF2E2CD-69C8-4420-A6CC-A0654AF7D3D4.jpeg
I think I caught the bonsai bug during this process.

Please do let me know your thoughts or criticisms. I welcome them all. :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It’s all about the new experience!
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Re: Windswept Japanese Box

Post by Raging Bull »

:crikey: Well that was a ruthless start, I bet that box tree doesn't know what hit it. But I think it's the way to go with that tree, looking at the before photo it looks quite suited to what you're doing with it. Are you thinking of refining the nebari also? Keep in mind that the box is a fairly slow growing tree, so it's deinitely a long term project.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

Me again. After looking at your styled tree :imo: it would look more like a windswept style if the whole tree was leaning a little to the left.
Cheers, Frank.
The Munt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by The Munt »

Cheers Frank,

I was thinking of taking a few roots away on the next repot. Being my first attempt I was a little worried about how much to reduce the tree by.

Thanks for heads up I didn’t know or even consider the growth time of the tree.

I think you are right about the winswept look being more natural but I just liked the idea of having it lean into the wind first then back over, I justified it by saying it grew up next to a big rock and when it peaked over the rock the top only got windswept haha. :tu:

Appreciate the insight.

I actually like the style but If I did want to bend that hardwood trunk also, what’s the best way to go about it :?:
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Munt, I've had success bending a couple of substantial trunks using a trunk bending jack. It was an inexpensive item I bought on ebay. The trees I used it on were a juniper and a radiata pine. It's a slow process, after the initial slight bend you gradually bend it more by turning the screw on the jack a couple of turns every couple of days until the desired bend is achieved and then leaving it for a couple of months to set. See the pic of it in use. You can also improvise with a notched piece of wood set at right angles to the trunk and a doubled up wire putting tension on the trunk above and below the wooden strut, so the whole set-up looks a little like a bow and arrow. Insert a large nail between the two strands of wire and twist that to gradually shorten the wire. But in my eyes that's a rather fiddly way of doing it.
Frank.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

Oops, forgot to attach the picture. :whistle: Here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Pines and junipers are a much more flexible tree compared to a Buxus. That trunk won't be bending any time soon in my opinion no matter what tool you use. How thick is it?

Since you've placed it in a bonsai pot I'm presuming you're happy with the thickness of the trunk on this one. If you're not then you'll be waiting for a lifetime for a Buxus to thicken in a bonsai pot, you may need to consider putting it in the ground.

So if it's movement in the trunk you're chasing, depending on exactly how thick the trunk is, you'll have to cut back to the lowest branch and wire the pliable shoots and branches before they get too old and thick. If you were to do this (at spring) it may induce the tree to push buds lower on the trunk that could be then grown into sacrifice branches for both thickening and taper/movement. If the trunk it too old a Buxus may not push buds on it but.

Make sure you feed it to keep it growing strong, no liquid feed for the next few weeks until the roots can settle from the repot.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on March 26th, 2018, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Munt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by The Munt »

Hey Frank I actually got ones of those in my starter kit. Just couldn't work out how to use it. When i tighten the thread, the crescent shaped plastic that sits against the tree wants to spin, because of the curve the tree wont let it spin and it therefore can't apply enough force to create a bend wothout gettong in it's own way...
20180326_114226-1620x1620.jpg
I'll have to have another look maybe there is something i can do... i'm thinking when it gets to the point of stuck i might need to use the nut but ill scope it out a bit later.
The Munt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by The Munt »

Hi Pearcy,

Its about 30mm thick that trunk. I am actually quite happy with the tree as is, but i was hoping it would thicken somewhat in the pot. Glad i know not to expect much growth.

I had previously been giving all my plants liquid fert, but i had the sense not to straight after repot.

Based on your comment only being liquid fert, would this powerfeed be ok straight away?
20180326_114909-1620x1620.jpg
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

When i tighten the thread, the crescent shaped plastic that sits against the tree wants to spin, because of the curve the tree wont let it spin and it therefore can't apply enough force to create a bend wothout gettong in it's own way...
To use that clamp you tighten the middle thread until the red piece is as close to the trunk as you can get it. Then undo the lock nuts under the bar on both side parts. Then you can tighten the clamp by turning the 2 outside wing nuts which will pull the outer hooks toward the bar. Just keep undoing those lock nuts as you tighten the wing nuts. You can pull both of the hooks or just pull one of them to get slightly different curves.

Just be careful how much pressure you put on and how long you leave the clamp on the tree. I have a maple with permanent scar from one of those so I prefer other ways to bend thick wood.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Munt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by The Munt »

Oh ok thanks Shibui, now I feel silly... haha :lol:

I’ll give it another shot.