First little Bonsai landscape

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Kyle Goldcoast1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig & Serissa
Bonsai Age: 1

First little Bonsai landscape

Post by Kyle Goldcoast1 »

Hi All!
So my last account (Kyle GoldCoast) had an issue and won't work so I'm starting fresh (didn't have much of a rep on the old account anyway), but this is a look at the first bonsai landscape I've made. Ill update with my current bonsai and ideas to come soon but first the simple landscape.
So I was in a Vinnies store the other day and say a slightly curved dish/plate which I thought would be a good first attempt. Would only be able to fit in 1 or 2 plants on it since it is a bit small and I didn't know how to go about making a landscape from a slab/plate style pot.
IMG_0276.JPG
Anyhoo here is the process, I didn't take a photo after I had the palms in but the rock position was first then the palms around it and then the young Serissa which might be a 12 or 18month old cutting I reckon. I though the Serissa would be good in this pot since my other Serrisa is in a shallow pot and is thriving!
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
I'm looking for a nice little display plate or table to show it off on
IMG_0285.JPG
Not sure if I should put a fine white gravel mix around the moss or put some white/light brown sand. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: First little Bonsai landscape

Post by MJL »

Hi Kyle - welcome (back) :lost:

Nice little Penjing-style landscape project. As you say, perhaps you could wind a little sand path through the planting...

Your post reminds me of this interesting Canadian gent - Nigel Saunders from KW Bonsai (now renamed the Bonsai Zone, I think.)

Here's a video of him with his Serrissa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sbQB3O7Km8

I find that Nigel does some interesting things and sometimes has some left-field thoughts - it helps me break of some of the more 'traditional' books that I read.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Kyle Goldcoast1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

MJL wrote:Hi Kyle - welcome (back) :lost:

Nice little Penjing-style landscape project. As you say, perhaps you could wind a little sand path through the planting...

Your post reminds me of this interesting Canadian gent - Nigel Saunders from KW Bonsai (now renamed the Bonsai Zone, I think.)

Thanks MJL!
I do quite like some of Nigel's videos on different landscapes and bonsai. I've got a nice slate rock slab I'm wanting to use for another landscape so ill b e looking for more ideas on things to do, I'm thinking of a fig version maybe
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Nice start to a landscape there, i tried a few times to do forests or small groups but it always turns out pretty average for some reason.

I like Nigel's Avatar grove planting, i think like any bonsai the older and more developed it is the better it gets.

i agree a path through it would look great as well!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Kyle Goldcoast1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

TimS wrote:Nice start to a landscape there, i tried a few times to do forests or small groups but it always turns out pretty average for some reason.

I like Nigel's Avatar grove planting, i think like any bonsai the older and more developed it is the better it gets.

i agree a path through it would look great as well!
Thanks TimS.

Anyone with any tips on watering for a landscape like this with not as much soil as a standard pot? Ive been watering once-isa a day but find it dries the top of the soil pretty easily at the moment.
It does have drainage holes but I don't think I've added a large enough amount of water to exit the whole, I just spray until it looks wet all the way around and then stop.
Any advice?
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

I cheat a little bit with my pots by putting a wooden chop stick in it to check. If the chop stick is wet i don't need to water, if it is dry it is time to water. Simple but effective.
Kyle Goldcoast1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

TimS wrote:I cheat a little bit with my pots by putting a wooden chop stick in it to check. If the chop stick is wet i don't need to water, if it is dry it is time to water. Simple but effective.
I had that idea too but thats not a very pleasing look to have a chopstick somewhere. The dish curves slightly too so not sure where I could place one without it being dead centre.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

For in the back yard it doesn’t really bother me looks wise, if I was going to display the tree indoors or put a tree in a show that’s a different story.

One of my Chinese Elms Seems to dry quickly so it’s useful for that particular tree, I don’t use them on every tree

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”