Japanese Maple in Qld

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Japanese Maple in Qld

Post by melbrackstone »

Bought this advanced Japanese Maple a week or so ago, still has leaves, but they fall off easily now. I've trimmed a lot of the multiple branch junctions so that there shouldn't be too much thickening, and clipped back most of the longer growth to two divisions. Now I am going to sit and look at it for awhile, to see if I can work out what comes off next.

I noticed that where it was cut back last season it's died back a way, so I'm guessing when I do the big cuts I'll have to do the same to allow for the branch to die back to the collar? Then I can remove the dead piece?

Any suggestions as to what direction to take the style? I'm looking forward to learning about ramification and development of branches with this tree.
DSC_1981.JPG
DSC_1980.JPG
DSC_1979.JPG
DSC_1978.JPG
DSC_1977.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Muddy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: N/A

Re: Japanese Maple in Qld

Post by Muddy »

I'll share what little I have discovered attempting to grow a JM in Brisbane.
The leaves will brown if placed in the sun, so I keep mine almost in full shade to keep them green. A shadehouse is probably better.
The leaves will brown if exposed to the drying wind.
High nitrogen fertilizer will elongate the nodes to about 6 inches apart.
They will die back to the next ring/node when cut as you pointed out.
And finally, all your relatives will look at the leaves & accuse you of growing plants that you shouldn't be growing. "It's a maple, I swear!"
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

hahaha....thanks Muddy!

I know the nursery it came from kept all their mature maples in the shade, and that's what I've been doing with this one too. However, one or two of mine seem to be growing very nicely in full Winter sun, and colouring up amazingly! I have enough small ones to test out the various conditions around the yard...
High nitrogen fertiliser, check...
Dieback check
Rellies don't look at my trees. :)

Cheers!
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Mel, You should try to track down Acer serrulatum. It has slightly larger leaves but will tolerate heat better than JM.
It is rare so you might have to do some detective work. It should make very nice larger bonsai.

https://www.google.com/search?q=acer+se ... 20&bih=933
Mike
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Cheers Mike.

It looks like the guy that is selling the Japanese Apricot also has plants listed as Acer serrulatum...amongst other names!

He grows them here in Brisbane, planted in his yard in full sun, so they must do ok.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/greenba ... 1129301702

I bought this one above because I don't have 25 years left in me to get a seedling to this stage... :lol: :lol: If I get one of these I can always plant it in the ground for a decade, I guess...

Edit:

If it's known as Taiwanese Maple I think the same nursery has a couple of mature trees as well, in fact they were covered in seed pods, and I asked what the tree was... hmmmm
Last edited by melbrackstone on July 24th, 2018, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”