Sannantha pluriflora

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
benrobertson4730
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Sannantha pluriflora

Post by benrobertson4730 »

I bought this as tube stock in 2016 and thought I’d post this as my first post in this forum. I need to get a new pot for it and change the angle slightly but fairly happy with how this is going. Happy to take any tips/suggestions for this tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Sannantha pluriflora

Post by shibui »

welcome to being an active participant on usbonsai.
Well done on keeping your Sannantha going for 3 years. Looks like it is now time to spend more time trimming so you can tighten up the ramification and get some foliage masses going. Sannantha responds well to regular tip pruning.
Not sure if the photo is from front on? Looks like it is angled a bit above and to one side but the view appears just a little busy or cluttered which is distracting I think. Maybe a little cleaning out would help define the trunks better.
BTW, I don't mind that little round pot for this tree.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
benrobertson4730
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by benrobertson4730 »

Thanks for the advice, this is the angle I want to be the front once I repot it. I’ll remove a few extra branches and see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I think that looks good as a viewing point. Maybe shot from a little too high?
The tree has 2 really nicely complimentary trunks but I think too many small bits getting in the way of viewing that feature.
Some ideas you may consider on this virt:
sannantha.JPG
I think the blue area should be an important part of the design. Negative space is often as important as volume in art work. I would try to keep that area mostly free or possibly just some far background growth so it is emphasised.
To that end, maybe remove the little shoots in the red area.
branches in black, particularly the lowest one, break that space. Not sure if that one is coming forward or backward but I would try moving it down out of that space - follow the line of the trunk it is growing from if possible or remove altogether. sometimes less is more in bonsai.
The other 2 marked in black are not so intrusive but still worth considering. maybe some intrusion into that negative space would be OK but consider moving or removing either or both.

Looking closer I can see a couple of other areas for minor changes but that area between the 2 trunks is my primary concern as it is now.
Remember - my opinion is just that. If you, or anyone else, don't agree you are welcome to reject any or all of the above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”