Hesperocyparis/Cupressus Macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress)

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Hesperocyparis/Cupressus Macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress)

Post by Patmet »

I took this as a cutting off a large tree a few years ago. It’s a species I find very interesting and beautiful. It has what I would describe as thick “chunky” foliage compared to the more delicate junipers, but I find it’s Texture and colour appealing. It has a nice strong lemon scent to the foliage as well.

I have been letting it grow wild for a while and it had begun to root into the ground from not being moved. I thought I should set some primary structure and start making plans for its future before things start to get too thick. My first instinct was to start styling it into the classic branches down “juniper” form, but upon studying it, and researching the species I thought that would be doing it a disservice. I have decided to go with the wind battered flat top form that they usually take in their native Californian Coast. I took inspiration from those images, and also Eric Schrader’s work with this species in the U.S.A.

Now that I have a rough primary structure for the height and movement for the branches of the tree I will get this into a bigger pot and let it grow strong to thicken.
B56578FC-5230-438E-BEFD-7068EEE2B27D.jpeg
Before work
FE9CF3B5-6AC3-4E22-8AB6-D2FF39876260.jpeg
Rough structure with a flow of movement to the right
BD24431A-C2B6-4932-836C-729C66BCC8ED.jpeg
My rough future vision of where I would like to take it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Hesperocyparis/Cupressus Macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress)

Post by treeman »

Patmet wrote: May 29th, 2023, 9:21 am I took this as a cutting off a large tree a few years ago. It’s a species I find very interesting and beautiful. It has what I would describe as thick “chunky” foliage compared to the more delicate junipers, but I find it’s Texture and colour appealing. It has a nice strong lemon scent to the foliage as well.

I have been letting it grow wild for a while and it had begun to root into the ground from not being moved. I thought I should set some primary structure and start making plans for its future before things start to get too thick. My first instinct was to start styling it into the classic branches down “juniper” form, but upon studying it, and researching the species I thought that would be doing it a disservice. I have decided to go with the wind battered flat top form that they usually take in their native Californian Coast. I took inspiration from those images, and also Eric Schrader’s work with this species in the U.S.A.

Now that I have a rough primary structure for the height and movement for the branches of the tree I will get this into a bigger pot and let it grow strong to thicken.

Before work

I have often thought about why this species is not often seen as bonsai. It can be very picturesque in nature. Do you have a link for the Eric Schrader trees?
Good luck with your tree BTW..
Mike
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Re: Hesperocyparis/Cupressus Macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress)

Post by Patmet »

treeman wrote: May 29th, 2023, 12:18 pm
Patmet wrote: May 29th, 2023, 9:21 am I took this as a cutting off a large tree a few years ago. It’s a species I find very interesting and beautiful. It has what I would describe as thick “chunky” foliage compared to the more delicate junipers, but I find it’s Texture and colour appealing. It has a nice strong lemon scent to the foliage as well.

Before work

I have often thought about why this species is not often seen as bonsai. It can be very picturesque in nature. Do you have a link for the Eric Schrader trees?
Good luck with your tree BTW..

https://www.santabarbarabonsai.org/cypress-trees/

If you scroll down to the article there's a bit of info and pictures of some of Eric's Pygmy and Monterey Cypress. Interesting he says if you let branches extend too long you can get a lot of dieback. I think he has some youtube videos working with Monterey Cypress too.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”